Ski/Wheel: unable to lower skis?

Helifan123

I know the skis of the Twotter can't be lowered the way it is done with other planes, there's another mechanism:

mKgo.jpg

This is from the old Twotter. Anyways, the switch in the cockpit of the Extended doesn't work and the skis are "down" all the time. This is pretty weird since the wheels do not move on asphalt/concrete/grass runways.

Any chance to get this fixed in the next update?

I´m sorry, but it actually works like planned.

On the new Twin Otter the skis are "locked in down position, thats why the wheels don´t rotate.

Contactpints for ski´s does not relly work in FSX and also really didn´t on the old Twin Otter, though they where animated.

Even on the default Maule the ski/wheel combo doesn´t work correctly, so we took the consequence and opted not to animate it and left it in ski´s down locked position.

Finn

I'm sorry but I don't go along with that statement. The aerosoft beaver ski retracts up and down. I'm disappointed In the extended ski now that's not realalistic to me not having the ski retract up and down and the wheels are lock up that does't sound write to me. The old version twin otter ski works great.I hope you will try to fix this.It just sounds to me you all just gave up! We the customers payed good hard earned money for the extended otter. I'm sorry but have to speak out, this is just wrong!!!

Two Wolves

I must agree with Two Wolves altough I wouldn't say it that hard. But it can be clearly seen that it works with the old Twotter and the tires do move when the skis are up and the do not move when they are up. There are also freeware planes like the BT-67 which have working skis so I would really appreciate if you would add this - and so would other customers I guess.

I'm sorry but I don't go along with that statement. The aerosoft beaver ski retracts up and down. I'm disappointed In the extended ski now that's not realalistic to me not having the ski retract up and down and the wheels are lock up that does't sound write to me. The old version twin otter ski works great.I hope you will try to fix this.It just sounds to me you all just gave up! We the customers payed good hard earned money for the extended otter. I'm sorry but have to speak out, this is just wrong!!!

Two Wolves

+1

Ski/wheel (up/down) not animated in Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended.

Completely unexpected ... and, I am very disappointed.

Two Wolves

While I do understand Your disappointment, I must also remind You about the price/feature ratio..

Most of You got the Twin Otter extended for 30,- euro, later when we are finished this will rise to 35 euro,-

For that money You get:

-300 Wheel 4 blade prop

-300 Wheel 3 blade prop

-300 Tundra

-300 Float

-300 Amphibian

-300 Wheel/Ski

Later:

-100 Wheel

-100 Tundra

-100 Float

The above even in either Cargo or passenger versions.

All of them featuring quite complex systems, Checklist, Flight Data recorder and Fuel planner.

I know no other addon where You get so much bang for the bucks. So if one of these versions aren´t up to Your expectations, I wouldn´t call it cheating.

Finn

I do hope that the hardness of the language remains moderate.

The Twin Otter Extended is my favorite AC. I too am disappointed that the ski animation is not included. Like flaps and float rudders on the Beaver X et al, that is the type of animation that means more to me than doors and windows opening as it is an integral part of the pilots' checklist and flight procedures. I am very grateful for inclusion of all of the variants contained in this offering and I do understand the needs of "cost engineering" but wish that this animation was included. It will not stop me using the ski variant and it certainly would not have stopped me from buying this plane. Frankly, as this is one of my favorite bush / VFR planes I would have bought it at a higher price considering its fidelity in complex systems. The more true to real flight the more it is valued.

Aerosoft must make some hard choices in its design and production process, we all accept that. There is also room to accept that some decisions were not always the best in retrospect. Perhaps it may be an option to run a thread that asks for a modification wish list, much like in the design stage, to see what customers want. Perhaps they would even be willing to pay a small amount for a features update some time down the road after the Series 100 models. This plane has a long life ahead of it, changes in the long term would I suspect only enhance that aspect.

Finally, a great thanks and well done to the whole team involved in the Twin Otter Extended. We like the product and you can take partial blame for our desire for perfection, you strive for it and we are carried along with you!

Rick

Well put Rick. I too think we got a lot for our money. As for deciding to leave the skis in a locked down position I can't see a problem with that. I've got a few aircraft that I've bought for a lot more money than I paid for this aircraft that have got animations that I see no point in having (it adds nothing to the way the plane handles or where it can land/takeoff). I guess what I'm saying is its a small price to pay to not have the animation especially as it doesn't really work with skis anyway

Mathijs,

Thanks for your quick response. There is no doubt that a lot of time and thought is put into the design and production decisions. That is very clear right from the start when you engaged forum members in the wish list and the answers that were given in that forum. It was very much appreciated as you could see in the participation level, both from the number of views as well as active participants! I understand that the technical difficulties are a constraining factor particularly when solutions to issues continue to evade the experts.

As another note, the inclusion of the "paints" installer, albeit still under development, is a great idea and very welcome. I hope that this concept will be included in future products i.e. Beaver X Extended and would also be welcome as a retrofit to models like the OV 10. It speaks well to the company support for the clients in making the plane a live entity with an extended lifespan.

Again, well done, your work and professionalism and that of the whole Aerosoft Team is appreciated.

Rick

Hey there,
I'm ok without the working skis, I'm just a wheel/ski lover so it would have been great to have this feature in the Extended. Anyways, thanks for the answers and trying to include it during the beta.

I agree that it is not a big issue and I am pretty confident that it wasnt left out because of you guys are lazy. But it would have been great if you would have said this in the release announcement. That would have led to less confussion by those people who tested it and noticed that these dont work. Those didnt know wether it was a problem on their system, a bug or wanted.

So, no big deal but I want you to continue to communcate as you had done before.

But I am pretty well aware that you really did a damn good job especially for that price.

I agree that it is not a big issue and I am pretty confident that it wasnt left out because of you guys are lazy. But it would have been great if you would have said this in the release announcement. That would have led to less confussion by those people who tested it and noticed that these dont work. Those didnt know wether it was a problem on their system, a bug or wanted.

So, no big deal but I want you to continue to communcate as you had done before.

But I am pretty well aware that you really did a damn good job especially for that price.

Thx for the feedback....

We are offcourse sorry that this wasn´t mentioned before after release of 1.05, causing confusion among customers.

The 3 remaining -100 versions will come without such surprices.

Finn

I must agree with Two Wolves altough I wouldn't say it that hard. But it can be clearly seen that it works with the old Twotter and the tires do move when the skis are up and the do not move when they are up. There are also freeware planes like the BT-67 which have working skis so I would really appreciate if you would add this - and so would other customers I guess.

Disappointed too... :mecry_s: Old Twotter run good. I think keeping the functions of the old version should have been great: I just made a fly before to update the new to v1.05. How is life...: coincidence...

Perhaps in a future patch? Don't throw away the idea too quickly :glare_s:

Otherwise good job to be positive!

Two Wolves

I want to say i'm sorry for the harsh words I used.I know that aerosoft and its team put out great products.Yes for the the price of the twin otter extened and of the models that come with the twin otter .Its well worth the price.Again aerosoft and team i'm sorry.

Chet Two Wolves

• Deputy Sheriffs

I want to say i'm sorry for the harsh words I used.I know that aerosoft and its team put out great products.Yes for the the price of the twin otter extened and of the models that come with the twin otter .Its well worth the price.Again aerosoft and team i'm sorry.

Thank you for this kind afterthought, much appreciated. :)

In my opinion Aerosoft develops high quality products for a moderate price, and It is interesting to see that as a consequence more and more people demand total perfection.
Unfortunately this is not possible in FSX. So let us all see things in the right perspective.

I have a solution but not sure how much it can work, can we have the skies with “locked in up position”

What I say is as default the skies will be in “locked in down position” in the installer which is already released v105.

But if we make a patch for “locked in up position” whoever doesn’t want skies in down position can patch it so in that way it will start rotating the wheels and I hope it will not create any problem in take off & landing.

If it can work then we are not in a hurry to have this patch right now, you can take your own time.

Rest you guys knows better.

I appreciate your hard work, We all are trying because as the product says extended we don’t want to lose any feature as compared to original twin otter.

I also admit with this extended we are getting bang for the bucks.

Nice idea: to get the choice :excellenttext_s:

But if we make a patch for “locked in up position” whoever doesn’t want skies in down position can patch it so in that way it will start rotating the wheels and I hope it will not create any problem in take off & landing.

Updated my Twin Otter X and after trying everything I possibly could to raise the skis, I naturally ended up here on this thread.

I didn't see anyone recommending this, so here it goes... why not use a customised gauge to fake the skis.

The problem is the bug that disables landing gear animation (suspension, etc.) when BOTH type 1 contact points (wheels) AND type 16 (skis) are in use at the same time (i.e. both touching the ground). To work around this, you could have a module or gauge that disables certain types of contact points when another certain type is in use (e.g. disable wheels when skis are touching the ground; like the default Maule). OR a gauge that fakes all the ski effects (track marks, snow spray, sparks on asphalt, etc.) when the skis are down (Basler BT67).

It's the proper way of doing it and the only workaround, as far as I know. Ski handling in FSX is even more awful than normal ground handling on wheels. So, the second option (fake ski effects overriding wheels effects) combined with a random animation trigger (Concorde nose, water rudder, etc.) should provide the best result: Wheels handling + Fully animated eye candy without any freezing issues like the old Twin Otter.

If Manfred and his team can do it for their freeware Basler, I don't see why Aerosoft can't.

Thanks gr.eg & Helifan123 for liking my idea. The above solution is useless unless & until the moderators make a try for patching.

I have one more solution, if the moderators make a tool to flip the "Up & Down position" of the Ski-Wheel.

Last to last week I had purchased A2A Simulations C172, they had made a tool named “Maintenance Hanger”, in that we have a option to flip the Propeller Blade.

I don’t know whether the above statements makes you understand or not. So i am copying the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YQjabJiFt4 just go to 05:35 you will see the maintenance hanger tool, how it works. You will get the idea what I meant to say.

But please don’t take it the negative way, I am not advertising A2A C172. Since its not my favorite aircraft, My favorite aircraft is Aerosoft Twin Otter, and i am trying just to get the best of best from it.

Best Regard's

Sukhdeep Singh

Updated my Twin Otter X and after trying everything I possibly could to raise the skis, I naturally ended up here on this thread.

I didn't see anyone recommending this, so here it goes... why not use a customised gauge to fake the skis.

The problem is the bug that disables landing gear animation (suspension, etc.) when BOTH type 1 contact points (wheels) AND type 16 (skis) are in use at the same time (i.e. both touching the ground). To work around this, you could have a module or gauge that disables certain types of contact points when another certain type is in use (e.g. disable wheels when skis are touching the ground; like the default Maule). OR a gauge that fakes all the ski effects (track marks, snow spray, sparks on asphalt, etc.) when the skis are down (Basler BT67).

It's the proper way of doing it and the only workaround, as far as I know. Ski handling in FSX is even more awful than normal ground handling on wheels. So, the second option (fake ski effects overriding wheels effects) combined with a random animation trigger (Concorde nose, water rudder, etc.) should provide the best result: Wheels handling + Fully animated eye candy without any freezing issues like the old Twin Otter.

If Manfred and his team can do it for their freeware Basler, I don't see why Aerosoft can't.

I Echo Kavehpd

Though I must admit that I've had some 'scuffs' with the AES people on some previous aircraft purchases, I have to say that this new Twotter Extended has really hit the 9.999 on the 10 scale! I finally started a search in my browser as to how to raise the skis after spending a good 30 minutes searching all the manuals and of course found this thread.

I think that the Twotter Extended is a very high end plane that, even at full price, is worth the money and even worth the purchase by those who already have the 'original Twotter'!

The fact that the skis are not animated barely makes a dent in my opinion of this otherwise great rendition and application of the latest high res programing. Very skillfully done and I will likely post this opinion whenever the opportunity presents itself throughout my "on-line FSX travels".

That said, it probably wouldn't hurt to add a quick simple line in "Manual 1" near the beginning which addresses the skis and their inability to animate. This would probably help keep down what little frustration may come from someone who's spent some time trying to make them retract before they gave up and searched as I have.

If there has been such a line of text inserted in one of the various paperwork’s that come with the New Twotter, then I overlooked it and I apologize. However, I'm guessing there is no notice because I used a number of keyword searches and nothing came up.

I own the other ‘Original Twotter’ as well and hadn't had any intention to buy the Extended version but then I saw a chance to get it at a little discount and bought it.

As I said, I was very surprised at how much of a upgrade/transition the Twotter went through even though it was already a very good rendition. OUTSTANDING WORK :excellenttext_s: !

Rich

Archived