BETA-range?

mgr

Hiya,

Before hand sorry if this questions has been asked before.

The question i have is how is the beta-range related to the % reverse thrust? The tool-tip of the throttle say 0 to -45%.

The BETA range is positive and then goes negative, on other words, at which % reverse thrust does the BETA range goes negative?

Ask this because i want to practice TFFJ approaches, where with the Twin Otter, the beta-range is used on short final to reduce speed while diving down the hill. To do this they use the "positive" part of the beta-range.

Hope i make some sense :-)

Marcel

PS, i've seen the diagram and text in the tech manual on page 7. So far i can tell there is nowhere a direct relation between al the degrees and the range of the reverse in the tool-tip.

PS2: My question in other words "reverse thrust commences" at which percentage of the reversethrust in the tool-tip of the throttle.

Beta range in the Twin Otter is from 11° - ÷15°(reverse) propellerblade angle.

The Beta range lights will be lit when Your in the range from 9°-÷15÷ propellerblade angle.

Practically this means that You will be in beta range whenever the beta range lights are lit. The range from 9-11° is very small and it will be hard for Yu to dertimen this with hardwrae controllers anyway.

0° (zero thrust) blade angle will be approxiamtly halfway down the range and will be indicated by the lowest torque on the torque gauges.

In a sim with rather course hardware throttles it can be hard to get an accurate feeling for where in the beta range You are.

Though not approved to do so, some pilots uses also reverse thrust inflight to slow down quicker.

Finn

Archived