DX10 Fixer

Piper9t3

• Deputy Sheriffs

I don't think so. The system requirements states clearly under what conditions an addon runs and therefore will be supported. When using 3rd party tool, that changes files or whatever of another product, you always have to ask the developer of this 3rd party addon for support.

Also this tool looks quite promising, in case of any trouble you should be prepared to make a rollback.

It is a promising tool with far more superior FSX memory management which is really needed to run complex and detailed airplane and scenery addons. Hopefully Aerosoft will one day soon offer support for fixed DX10 Preview mode. In the interim, would it be possible to open a DX10 thread in the forums in order to log scenery issues specifically related to DX10?

Thanks

John

• Deputy Sheriffs

This is a 3rd party commercial tool, not commersialised by Aerosoft.

Case it were a free one, there would be room for discussion about allowing it in the forum, but it is not the case. Having a public discussion about it in Aerosoft forums could lead some to the idea Aerosoft supports that tool in our products.

That said, I use it and must say it is a real advance in terms of stability and eye candy characteristics, but there are some sceneries having issues already with DX10, even using the tool. Not the tool problem itself, but the scenery...

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

There is indeed no need to discuss the DX10 tool here at the Aerosoft forums.

But nevertheless it would certainly be most appreciated by Aerosoft customers, if over some time ahead, those Aerosoft add-ons which may cause issues under DX10 could receive some kind of proper DX10 treatment.

No one expects this to happen quickly and for sure it is an undertaking that requires resources and time and some issues may even remain consistent under DX10.

However though and as pointed out by Jon "jrotaetxe" right above:

The DX10 fix really offers a lot of advantages especially when it comes down to VAS useage, which definitely is an important issue within a more and more complex FSX scenery and add-on environment!

I for instance frequently got into OOM's under DX9 at Aerosoft's fantastic PANC airport and PMDG's great 777.

Under DX10 now - never ever!

No kidding:

The settings are the same there now under DX10 (an even slightly higher) as they were under DX9, but now FSX is simply far, far more stable and can handle the VAS load much better and far more save than under DX9.

This is also true for many other 3rd party airport sceneries - especially those of the scale of "Mega airports".

So having an overall reliable and stable DX10 option available now for FSX may turn out to be one last "real serious" but certainly stable boost for the aging FSX.

Considering to offer a proper DX10 support would therefore be a win-win situation for Aerosoft and their current and future customers alike.

Cheers, Christoph

We do run tests with each products in DX10 modes during development. If no issues show - fine, the addon is DX10 compatible. If issues show we will not do to much work to fix them though since only a minority of users runs the DX10 fixer. Most of our users do not have it and even most testers do not have it.

I have run into a minor issue with Skiathos (which I managed to correct by turning off the static boat bgl) and I also have lost all the autogen buildings in Santorini. I have plenty of more Aerosoft titles to test including my collection of Mega airports.....I certainly hope there are no major issues with them under Dx10 mode!

• Aerosoft

So having an overall reliable and stable DX10 option available now for FSX may turn out to be one last "real serious" but certainly stable boost for the aging FSX.

Considering to offer a proper DX10 support would therefore be a win-win situation for Aerosoft and their current and future customers alike.

I do agree with that, but do not expect this to be applied to existing scenery. For most developers it is simply impossible to re-open older projects to change them. It is NOT a trivial change, requires a lot of testing (we now found some issues with the DX10 tweaks on some Korean and Japanese systems for example), new installers, updates for product pages etc etc.

We do run tests with each products in DX10 modes during development. If no issues show - fine, the addon is DX10 compatible. If issues show we will not do to much work to fix them though since only a minority of users runs the DX10 fixer. Most of our users do not have it and even most testers do not have it.

Thank You very much for the information Emanuel!

I do agree with that, but do not expect this to be applied to existing scenery. For most developers it is simply impossible to re-open older projects to change them. It is NOT a trivial change, requires a lot of testing (we now found some issues with the DX10 tweaks on some Korean and Japanese systems for example), new installers, updates for product pages etc etc.

If it is not applied to existing AS sceneries then be it - sad, but at least a honest answer and no doubt, i fully respect this decision and understand Your policy.

Because sure, if the effort required does not pay off, there is no need to really put resources aside for it!

Pft, who cares about DX10, DX11 is where it will be at soon...

... well - we may discuss about DX11 then - but as long as P3D version 2, if referred to its DX11 compatibility here is not released, talking about DX11 here as a future (even if this may be the near future) does not take us anywhere here right now. ;)

Cheers, Christoph

There is indeed no need to discuss the DX10 tool here at the Aerosoft forums.

Nothing wrong talking about it in a forum or this one, I don't think Aerosoft minds, please correct me if I am wrong, as long as the conversation is kept civil ;) and done in the right forum categories. I'm am still sticking with DirectX 9 for now but I am following the DX10 discussion because issues are really being resolved, yet some remain and I don't have all that much time to troubleshoot it... and prefer to fly when I have some free time. Steve is doing a lot of work here for the community, also check out the dedicated forum area about Direct X 10 on the AVSIM forum, where a lot of info is found about this topic.

Pft, who cares about DX10, DX11 is where it will be at soon...

DX11 frightens me :D when it comes to FSX... interesting how that will be, I do look forward though to the updates done on the ESP code. The time to come is very interesting indeed ;-)

Nothing wrong talking about it in a forum or this one, I don't think Aerosoft minds, please correct me if I am wrong, as long as the conversation is kept civil ;) and done in the right forum categories. I'm am still sticking with DirectX 9 for now but I am following the DX10 discussion because issues are really being resolved, yet some remain and I don't have all that much time to troubleshoot it... and prefer to fly when I have some free time. Steve is doing a lot of work here for the community, also check out the dedicated forum area about Direct X 10 on the AVSIM forum, where a lot of info is found about this topic.

DX11 frightens me :D when it comes to FSX... interesting how that will be, I do look forward though to the updates done on the ESP code. The time to come is very interesting indeed ;-)

Nothing wrong talking about it in a forum or this one, I don't think Aerosoft minds, please correct me if I am wrong, as long as the conversation is kept civil ;)

I just respect the fact that AS does not want the DX10 fix itself to be discussed here as it is not distributed by AS - and that 's why i also mainly use the dedicated AVSIM sites for any discussions - sorry if i did obviously not clearify that 100%.

I am a dedicated DX10 user and i won't go back to DX9 anymore.

It indeed may require a bit of time to get it all running properly - but as so many have also pointed out: Once all runs - there is no way ever to go back to DX9. Sure: Things can still go wrong and not everyone sticks to DX10, but i do and enjoy it.

But as there still are some issues with some sceneries under DX10 - also with some AS sceneries - i do indeed appreciate if AS, at least to a certain extent, tries to find solutions for these specific AS add ons then - again only as far as AS considers this all worth it.

And as also pointed out above: I highly respect AS's desision to keep updating various of their products to DX10 only optional.

This is, again pointed ou, why i wrote that the DX10 fix itself may indeed not need to be discussed here, whereas, and as long as done in a civi and kind manner indeee, i sure also highly welcome discussions about various issues and possible solutions for AS add-ons and DX10.

;)

And DX11 - i for now wait and see.

The first P3D version 2 screenshots look most promising though and the developer blog around it available at the LM website is really very interesting and worth reading!

But as it is not available yet, i can not contribute any further useful info here regarding it and can't discuss it.

So i just wait and look at it all in detail, once it is available - ... and simply stick to DX10 now! ;)

Cheers, Christoph

Archived