Greetings all,

Quick question about NATs. I bought PFPX earlier today, and am in the early process of trying to figure it out. When I pull up the NATs, the eastbound tracks (U-Y) seem to be south of the westbound tracks (A-E). I usually don't fly across the pond (well, not until I bought the PMDG777), but I always thought it was the other way around. The flights from Europe to North America always seemed to track over Greenland, while to N America to Europe flights tracked more south. Is this due to today's upper winds, or am I incorrect about what I had assumed?

Many thanks.

That's pretty much a "normal" track configuration.

The tracks are structured to take advantage of the winds aloft so they can be a bit of a moving target.

I've seen the eastbound (night time) tracks situated pretty far north as well at various times.

...or ATC can even split tracks, usually they do that for westbound tracks. For example they can put tracks A - C way up north and leave about 300 nm (or more) gap and put more tracks like D - F south. Also you don't have to be on a track. There are times when flying via tracks from certain airports are not beneficial. For such flights dispatch builds a flight on a random route (RR). You can cross Atlantic on RR north or south of tracks or between tracks if they're split. Doing so make sure you keep at least 1 degree or better 2 from the most southern or northern track. There are way more rules and crazy things going on on NATs, so this is just a basic. :)

As Limri mentioned, you're not required to fly a track, you can certainly plan and fly a random route.

A track may provide the best time and fuel burn, but it may not be the best route for weather/turbulence avoidance.

Something else to consider: If you have any maintenance limitations (MEL's) on the aircraft (e.g. an APU that would limit you to a 120 min ETOPS operation) then you may have to plan a random route off the tracks (depending on track location) to remain within the 120 minute area of operation.

Good times.. :D

Archived