Advice on Computer Specs for FSX

Hi, Im a long time Condor fan, have used fsx for gliding years ago, but my computer was hopeless. I was hoping you guys out there that have been using fsx for years would be able to give me some advice to computer specs, best graphic card, ram etc... imagine you had it all to do over again, what kind of computer would you want.

cheers and happy flying.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi, you can find a lot of informations especially in this forum section: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/245-hardware-and-os-discussions/

It is very difficult to give a generell recommendation, as it depends on a lot of things:

- budget

- personal flying preferences

If budget is not the problem, take the fastest machine you can get. ;)

If you stick to soaring only, I would says that you do not need the highend machine.

Like mopperle said, if money isn't an issue, go with the best you can get. I recently put a computer together at a moderate price from a kit I purchased from TigerDirect, well, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. At the time I had to budget it in, but was able to get a better, faster machine with 6-cores but I had to use an old graphics card (it was probably at least 2 years old at the time), so I think that is what is holding my graphics back. If you can, don't get any graphics cards under 2 GB of memory and make sure it has multi-monitor support. At one point in time I was using a triple screen with two 17" monitors and one 17" old TV type monitor, but What a view from the cockpit! It made soaring/gliding that much more special and peaceful.

FSX has always been a hog when it comes to FPS, I rarely get anything over 18-20 FPS average. But there used to be a tweak site that would automatically tweak your cfg file (for FREE), so that I would say is a must. Does anyone know exactly if that site is still around?

Scott

• Deputy Sheriffs

But there used to be a tweak site that would automatically tweak your cfg file (for FREE), so that I would say is a must. Does anyone know exactly if that site is still around?

I guess you are talking about Bojote's Tweaking tool at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html.

It might be helpfull or not. Usually you should use as less tweaks as possible. The only must have is the HIGHEMFIX for the fsx.cfg.

Especially be carefull with so called super tweaks and other "recommendations/must haves" from various websites and comunities as long as you not completely understand what's behind the various "tweaks" and what they are doing.

Thanks mopperle! I've never even heard of that HIGHEMFIX line before today. Though, I gave it a few tests today before I left the house, and didn't see any difference, but I was also in a hurry so I probably overlooked something. I will be doing more tests tonight possibly, or tomorrow when I get the time.

Scott

Archived