KSFO >EGCC not following NATS

Route looks fine. It's what's called a Random Track - pretty much just a made up track. It is very unusal for a flight from Europe to US West Coast to go via the NAT system - the route would be significantly longer. They will pretty much always route Iceland/Greenland/Canada.

The NATs are a high volume/efficiency route. However, you do not need to fly a NAT to get across the Atlantic. There is an 8ish hour window when the NATs aren't even valid and no one flies them. They are primarily designed for Midwest-to-east coast USA to west-to-central Europe. Further west in the USA and further east in Europe will start to shift towards polar ops (not necessarily true polar, but in that direction) to approximate the great circle route. The great circle is the shortest distance between two points on a sphere (i.e. Earth).

You may create two routes as a compare. Create one taking a random route far north of the NATs and create another one which goes over the mainland to the NATs.

Usually the first route is shorter (NM) because of the earth curvature. Nevertheless the jetstream and other wind situations can effect this route as well.

Coming back to one of your post: Nearly 95% of all flights coming from the US/CA Westcoast to Europe are not proceeding via the NATs.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Take a look at FlightAware or one of the other flight trackers to see what the actual routing is. I know the last time I flew EDDF to Vancouver, BC (CYVR) in real life, the great circle is what we did.

Archived