Weather Radar

TheFlyer23

Are you gonna integrate (in later hotfixes) a weather radar in airbus x extended?

I like if the weather radar was fully functional! Plus will ever TERR ON ND button work?

Thanks!

It isn't possible to do a working weather radar in Flightsimulator, sorry.

Terrain radar is planned and will be done for the A318/A319 which will be released later this year. All the new features of the A319 will be made backwards compatible to the A320, so yes, that will be done.

there will be Terrain at some point in the future ( when the A319 is released or just after its released, if you look in that preview thread for more information ) as for a working WX Radar it would be cool to have one but i dont think they have that planned.

Emi it is possible to have a working weather radar in fsx and its within the capabilities of the sim, lots of people seem to think its impossible because someone at pmdg said its impossible. There is already a couple of third party wx radar's out there and even a small number of aircraft that have them equiped as standard. They dont have all the features of a real wx radar but they still work as they should.

I dont think its cost effective to add a wx radar to the A32x and A31x.

Emi it is possible to have a working weather radar in fsx and its within the capabilities of the sim, lots of people seem to think its impossible because someone at pmdg said its impossible. There is already a couple of third party wx radar's out there and even a small number of aircraft that have them equiped as standard. They dont have all the features of a real wx radar but they still work as they should.

I dont think its cost effective to add a wx radar to the A32x and A31x.

No it is not possible. I do not say that because someone at PMDG said that, but I say that because the Aerosoft developers say that.

I am aware of those 3rd party weather radars (and even have tried two of them) and their indication is totally unreliable. Or to make it short: It's wrong.

And if it's wrong, why waste some 5 frames on it? There are really better things to invest those in!

Why it would be impossible?Leonardo Maddog, Realair Duke Wilco Airbus and others have a weather radar. :)

And they all don't work properly. Show me any weather radar which actually shows correct values and we will immediatly do one.

And they all don't work properly. Show me any weather radar which actually shows correct values and we will immediatly do one.

what do you mean my that the CS WX seems to work it shows red for storm green for light clouds and yellow for medium

And how about integrating something that works with AS2012? I mean, after all it downloads real world weather and knows where precipitation is and everything.
Absolutely, not everyone uses it but still it's better than nothing? And of course, I completely understand if you don't choose to do that.

And how about integrating something that works with AS2012? I mean, after all it downloads real world weather and knows where precipitation is and everything.

Absolutely, not everyone uses it but still it's better than nothing? And of course, I completely understand if you don't choose to do that.

why not with FSGRW ? It has much more data then AS2012 ;)

I discussed this many times with Mathijs ;)

yeah and I am not going to change the bus to suit just one weather engine.

I am only willing to work on something when it works with all weather

what do you mean my that the CS WX seems to work it shows red for storm green for light clouds and yellow for medium

A wx radar can't see clouds, only precipitation.

This is exactly where the problem is. The current weather radars out there for FSX show coulds instead of rain or snow. While it is possible to a certain level to detect where FSX places clouds it is absolutly impossible to detect where it will place rain.

The proof for that is easy: Take one of those radar and build some rainy weather yourself where it will rain all over the world. Still you will see places where the weather radar will tell you that it does not rain, but if you fly there it will actually rain.

There was a saying by a real world pilot I heared once: A weather radar is about detecting rain, not clouds. If you want to know where clouds are look out of your window!

I can show you a proof just as an example:

The following picture is taken from the Captainsim 777 product page over at their website:

s777_4.jpg

You can see it even reads "WXR. It does work, whatever they say".

Well, why do you see a gap on the radar exactly where the plane is then? Look out of the windscreen, it rains at this precise location, but nothing is shown on the radar right in front of the airplane!

Here's another example:

s777_3.jpg

Now take a look what they show: They point to two big CLOUDS and say that they are what is shown on the weather radar. Despite the fact that it should show rain and not clouds it is easy to see that those clouds are not at the location shown on the radarscreen.

This is exactly where the problem is. The current weather radars out there for FSX show coulds instead of rain or snow. While it is possible to a certain level to detect where FSX places clouds it is absolutly impossible to detect where it will place rain.

The proof for that is easy: Take one of those radar and build some rainy weather yourself where it will rain all over the world. Still you will see places where the weather radar will tell you that it does not rain, but if you fly there it will actually rain.

There was a saying by a real world pilot I heared once: A weather radar is about detecting rain, not clouds. If you want to know where clouds are look out of your window!

I can show you a proof just as an example:

The following picture is taken from the Captainsim 777 product page over at their website:

s777_4.jpg

You can see it even reads "WXR. It does work, whatever they say".

Well, why do you see a gap on the radar exactly where the plane is then? Look out of the windscreen, it rains at this precise location, but nothing is shown on the radar right in front of the airplane!

Here's another example:

s777_3.jpg

well chanses are you do not need to see clouds that are in front of you on a display XD and you can ASSUME red areas have rain and that can help you and since AXE tells you if deice is needed or not then we do not care about that. I quote from someone on the project airbus forums: Welcome to FSX, were i can do a loop de loop in cessna at 1000 knots :D

Now take a look what they show: They point to two big CLOUDS and say that they are what is shown on the weather radar. Despite the fact that it should show rain and not clouds it is easy to see that those clouds are not at the location shown on the radarscreen.

Archived