GSX and AES

I remember seeing a post from Oliver in which he mentioned the changes necessary in order for GSX and AES to co-exist. I cannot find that post using the search engine. Can someone assist?

Thanks

Dom

Hi Dom,

Any specific changes you were looking for?

I for one use both at the same time. In AES, in AES Help for each aircraft I eliminate all of the doors except for the front left ones, so jetways work.

Then, in GSX, using the GSX - Customize Airport Positions options at all of my AES enabled airports, I check that all gates have jetways. That way GSX won't put stairs where AES will put stairs or a jetway.

That way allows me to also use AES pushback, which is always more accurate at AES enabled airports. Hope this helps!

When they work together, it's a thing of beauty:

2013511132252512.jpg

Thanks for the reply, Kyle, and I will try your method. The post I was looking for was the post in which Oliver suggested altering three or so lines in the config file. If you or anyone (Oliver) can point me to it, I would appreciate it.

Dom

Kyle, as a follow-up, how do you bypass AES when you first load the a/c at the gate with engines off and brakes set? AES is calling the service vehicles and marshaller. Loading GSX services places objects over the AES objects. How did you do this?

Dom

Kyle, as a follow-up, how do you bypass AES when you first load the a/c at the gate with engines off and brakes set? AES is calling the service vehicles and marshaller. Loading GSX services places objects over the AES objects. How did you do this?

Dom

Hey Dom,

Window FSX, open up AES Help. Go to the Aircraft Configuration menu, and click on and disable the two cargo doors, and then the left side doors (except the front left). That way, AES will only activate the jetway or front left door.

If you need some screenshots as a walkthrough of what I refer to let me know.

This seems like a great way of using the best from AES and GSX together, I'll try this myself :)

Thanks for sharing how you made it work Kyle !

No problem!

For an additional hint, when you are going to use AES pushback: Hit Ctrl+Shift+W and bring up AES, select you want to prepare for departure, say yes to pushback, pick your direction. Once that's done, open up the GSX menu, Ctrl+F12, and select 'Reset Position'. That way, you won't have two conflicting engine start clearances as well ;)

So I started trying this out and so far so good but will do more testing tomorrow. Have a couple of questions though.

I have over 20 AES-enabled airports and some of them are quite large ones like Amsterdam, Heathrow etc. Is there an easy way to check which gates have moving jetways so I know what gates to configure in GSX without having to physically look at each gate?

Is there any way to configure GSX so when I ask for boarding the airstairs are not connected to the aft left door of the NGX since this seldom is done IRL when the a/c is parked at a gate with a jetway used by the PAX to board the a/c?

I have over 20 AES-enabled airports and some of them are quite large ones like Amsterdam, Heathrow etc. Is there an easy way to check which gates have moving jetways so I know what gates to configure in GSX without having to physically look at each gate?

I would just keep all of the gates assigned. Keep in mind that AES will put up it's own stairs for the front left door still when there is no jetway. So, you can just go ahead in GSX and say that all parking has a jetway. If you don't you'll have both AES and GSX stairs at positions without a jetway.

Is there any way to configure GSX so when I ask for boarding the airstairs are not connected to the aft left door of the NGX since this seldom is done IRL when the a/c is parked at a gate with a jetway used by the PAX to board the a/c?

This is a tough one I think. I believe you have to customize individual parking spaces in GSX to eliminate that rear staircase. You may be able to eliminate that position in your aircraft through GSX, but let me check.

• 3 weeks later...

Kyle can you do some screenshot to wolk me throught it as am having a hard to work it all out

many thanks

c

I sure can! Give me a day or two though as I'll be away on work. When I get the time I'll put a small tutorial on the steps I do to make it happen.

Hello;

I have both,and they work pretty well together,just don't forget to select what AES does,and what you want GSX to do.

Mark

I have also been using both AES and GSX for a while now and it's been great. Just make sure you disable the cargo and left doors (Except the main front left door) in AES Help. then customize each parking spot in GSX. Like Kyle I really dont use GSX for pushbacks since AES is way more accurate.

I hope you get it configured

Exactly how I have it set up too and works really well!

Hi

a little question about GSX ( because actually I use only AES ).

Does GSX work in every airport and in every gate ?

Is it different from AES that works only in compatible airport ?

Luigi

Hi

a little question about GSX ( because actually I use only AES ).

Does GSX work in every airport and in every gate ?

Is it different from AES that works only in compatible airport ?

Luigi

That's right, GSX works for any airport and gate in FSX default or payware. Worth mentioning though is will not operate the jetways in the same way AES does with it's custom jetways being part of many AES compatible airports. This means you will only be able to use jetways in airport sceneries where the scenery is built to use the default FSX jetways activated manually by pressing CTRL-J if my memory serves. Also as have already been mentioned in many situations AES will work more seamlessly since it's "tailor-made" for the airports it supports.

Personally the main reason I now also use GSX in combination with AES is because of the animations when loading/unloading cargo which I think is very nicely done in GSX, you'll actually see how the PAX's bags are loaded/unloaded. If we only one day also could have some passengers seen boarding/deboarding that would really make my day! One thing I don't like with GSX in particular is the voices used for the pushback procedure since the voices are not pre-recorded and real voices and IMHO that takes away lot of realism and after all the main reason we use these kind of addons is to add realism.

I wish and hope AES will also start working on more animations in a not too distant future where you at least will see what you already see in GSX today because although it does work to use GSX and AES together I would prefer to only use a single program doing the same thing.

Kyle can you do some screenshot to wolk me throught it as am having a hard to work it all out

many thanks

c

Alright here we go. What I am showing here is how I configure my AES and GSX to work together. I use AES for the front left door to use its stairs or jetways, and I use GSX for the back left door and cargo doors.

I am using the PMDG NGX 737-800 w/o winglets, an aircraft I've not set up before, in an airport I've not set up before (Max Kraus excellent TBPB- freeware!).

Once you learn how to do this, you can just do it on the fly and not have to worry about making these changes on every single AES airport you have. If you want to take the time to do that, go for it. All you truly will be editing once you have the specific aircraft set up in AES is just telling GSX that your airport gates have jetways. More on that below.

One very key note- to do this you must have FSX windowed. Once you're done, you can switch back to full screen mode.

Step 1

- Load the aircraft you wish to use at the AES enabled airport.

Okay, so you can see here that I'm at an AES airport, and AES has put on it's stairs and baggage carts:

step1aa.jpg

Step 2

- On your desktop, open up AESHELP. Click on "Set Aircraft Parameters" here:

step2a.png

- Click on the door you do not want AES to use. So that will be "Front Cargo", "Rear Cargo", and "Rear", shown here:

step2be.png

- When the door is selected, uncheck the box that says "Selected door is available at this aircraft":

step2c.png

- Once you uncheck that box, it will now look like this, and that door will not be used by AES:

step2d.png

- Go through and do that now for the "Rear Cargo" and "Rear" door. If using the QW 757 IIRC you will have one other door to remove, which I think is the "Before Wing" door. Other aircraft might have other assignments as well, but remember as you edit you will see them in your open FSX screen.

Step 3

- Once the doors are done, click "Save Aircraft" first, then "Close":

step3ap.png

- You can now close AESHelp. Back on your FSX screen, now you should see only the AES stairs (or jetway) attaching to the Left Front door:

step3b.jpg

Step 3.5 (not a step, just to show)

- Now I'm going to call up GSX deboarding services, just to show you the conflict, then I will go over how to edit it.

- You can see GSX is inserting its own stairs to the front left door. We don't want that, so now we need to edit GSX.

step35a.jpg

Step 4

- At the top of the FSX window on your taskbar go to "Add-ons"/"Couatl-powered products"/"GSX - Customize airport positions", and you will see this open on your screen:

step4an.png

- Click on "Gate". This will now edit GSX for every gate in that set. It'd be a pain to do each gate individually, so this is a great tool!

step4bg.jpg

- If your airport has more than one type of gate (like Gate A, Gate B, Gate C), do this step for each of them.

- Now, click on the checkbox for "Parking has a jetway", and then hit "Apply" in the bottom right corner. Do this even if the airport you choose doesn't have actual jetways. Remember, AES has its own stairs that it will call up! This step applies to every single AES enabled airports.

step4c.PNG

- Exit the GSX Customization screen by hitting the red X at the top right.

- That now tells GSX that each gate has a jetway, so AES can now have the front left door.

All done!

- You're all set! Call up GSX for boarding, and watch the magic happen!

step5v.jpg

Some key things to note:

- For AES, you only have to perform Steps 1-3 one time per aircraft.

- For GSX though, you must perform Step 4 at each AES enabled airport. I do this on a "when I go there" basis. So, if I load up there or arrive there, I'll quickly shoot into the GSX Customize airport screen, perform Step 4, and I'm good to go. If you have the time or the willpower, you can absolutely go around and do every AES enabled airport you have.

- I know that you can just customize the aircraft in GSX like you do in AES, by eliminating the front left door in GSX. Don't do that though. If you do that you will not have GSX stairs for your front left door at airports that don't have AES services. You should ONLY do Step 4, and only at AES enabled airports.

I hope this helps! It can be a little confusing, as I quickly proofread what I wrote. Take it slow, and be sure to recognize what I'm referring to. I tried to make it as clear as possible, and screenshot every step of the way I could. Don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it!

Kyle,

Many thanks on doing the tutorial i apperent the help there, i know what i was doing whichwas i didnt tick the jetway in GSX. Now that there is quicker way of doing i will using AES and GSX together from now on.

Many thanks

Colin

As others already said, excellent guide with great screenshots and very easy to follow instructions!

Just thought I would add one small thing to step 4 in the guide to save you yet another couple of seconds/mouse clicks especially for very large airports with lots of gates like LFPG, EGLL, EHAM to mention a few.

Instead of choosing each gate individually or as the guide suggests to save you some time choose each gate category like Gate A, Gate B etc you can select Airport at the very top of the list which will then include all parking spots at the airport and again as the guide already says configuring jetways even for parking spots where there is no jetway isn't a problem since you will be using AES which has it's own stairs for any parking spot where a jetway isn't available.

This is a rather good solution, but it cannot solve everything.

If Oliver would implement something that we have requested many times:

An option (in the INI file perhaps), for AES to only activate jetways (if present), in a parking position.

Then, the above mentioned solution, would be complete.

Archived