Olli's Airbus Gotchas #1: Centre Tank Feeding

Just reloaded a saved flight situation with the AXE. My intention was to try a (fun) autoland into EGLC with its steep glideslope of 5,5%.

I noticed my AXE was too heavy so I decided to dump(!) some fuel. Confused.gif

Since, to my knowledge, no A320 is fuel dump-equipped - not even the ones by Aerosoft rolleyes.gif - I chose to use the FSX load menu and set the wing tanks to a lower level and the centre tank to zero (that's a simplification of FSX which doesn't fully reflect the AXE's fuel system - Aerosoft actually did a much better job to recreate the Airbus fuel system). good.gif

Now you, too, raise your slats/flaps after takeoff, don't you??? Thinking.gif

With slats/flaps up and usable fuel in the centre tank, the AXE's engines are fed by the centre tank. The AXE switches to the wing tanks automatically as soon as no centre tank fuel is available anymore. p0310.gif

By setting centre fuel to zero manually the AXE didn't have a chance to switch fuel tanks in time ... pardon.gif

When I closed the menu I experienced an immediate double engine flameout at cruise level!!! Shocked.gif

With a FL of 240 and just starting to slow down from cruise speed I didn't need a Hudson river to cater for my emergency landing - not in that very moment, anyway ... Worried.gif

Ever tried to work through the tutorial flight with 8x time acceleration??? ohmy.png

I needed the APU to go online in order to air-start both engines - and it all had to happen quickly ... blink.png

What's the difference between memory items and the rest of a checklist? search.gif If time is precious, there is none - all items become memory items instantaneously!!!

Well, to make a long story short: Both engines were running again, before airspeed reached the green dot yahoo.gif - thanks to Aerosoft NOT coding the APU start sequence externally. Shame%20On%20You.gif Otherwise it would have taken a glide of a longer or shorter extent towards London City to have them up and running again. Big%20Grin.gif

Screenshots? Sorry, I had my hands full ... sad.png

No need to hurry with a L/D ratio of 15:1. ...a double engine failure isn't even a memory item IRL and you can't use the APU above FL200 for engine starting.

That's not really related to system depth as Aerosoft mentioned that they don't simulate any malfunctions with AXE.

Archived