taxi speed decreases with rudders only

hobeprime

Hello everyone,

I haven't found this problem anywhere, maybe I am the only one with it...

One of the thinks I like very much about the AXE is that once you power up the engines and start taxiing the plane will go on with idle thrust without slowing down - just as it is in reality.

However, as soon as I use rudders (Saitek Pro), I have to taxi with quite a lot of thrust, even though I tried all different kinds of settings - there is no input command from the rudders whatsoever.

Does anyone have a clue to a solution? As I said, without the rudder pedals everything is as it should be...

Thanks,

Dennis

• Aerosoft

Hello everyone,

I haven't found this problem anywhere, maybe I am the only one with it...

One of the thinks I like very much about the AXE is that once you power up the engines and start taxiing the plane will go on with idle thrust without slowing down - just as it is in reality.

However, as soon as I use rudders (Saitek Pro), I have to taxi with quite a lot of thrust, even though I tried all different kinds of settings - there is no input command from the rudders whatsoever.

Does anyone have a clue to a solution? As I said, without the rudder pedals everything is as it should be...

Thanks,

Dennis

That's a problem in FSX, you would expect you need some more power when turning but FSX requires too much additional throttle. Keep in mind that the nose wheel steering is proportional, so start with small inputs, because when you give it full input you almost put the nose wheel 90 degrees cross. Of course rudder only start working at 80 knots or so and keep in mind you can also use the engines to turn!

That's a problem in FSX, you would expect you need some more power when turning but FSX requires too much additional throttle. Keep in mind that the nose wheel steering is proportional, so start with small inputs, because when you give it full input you almost put the nose wheel 90 degrees cross. Of course rudder only start working at 80 knots or so and keep in mind you can also use the engines to turn!

Too bad. It worked so well without the rudders :mecry_s: . But thanks for the information!

Kind regards,

Dennis

Are you shure, that you have no brakes on the Rudder? I have the same, and my Bus runs away so if have to break him down for every curve ;)

Please confirm that your break Nullzone is Set High enough.

Are you shure, that you have no brakes on the Rudder? I have the same, and my Bus runs away so if have to break him down for every curve ;)

Please confirm that your break Nullzone is Set High enough.

Confirm. I have tried all sorts of nullzone settings: low, medium, high. It doesn't matter at all. And I don't have to steer. It just slows down of its own. I'll probably try out FSUIPC now. Hope that will help. It's a nuisance, really. @ MaxReverse: Could I bother you to make a screenshot of your control settings? Just don't know how to do it properly...

Thanks,

Dennis

Hello Dennis,

here you have my settings from the FSUIPC:

[JoystickCalibration.Airbus X]

AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes

ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes

ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes

ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes

SepRevsJetsOnly=No

ApplyHeloTrim=No

UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No

FlapsSetControl=0

FlapDetents=No

ReverserControl=66292

Reverser1Control=66422

Reverser2Control=66425

Reverser3Control=66428

Reverser4Control=66431

MaxThrottleForReverser=256

AileronTrimControl=66731

RudderTrimControl=66732

CowlFlaps1Control=66162

CowlFlaps2Control=66163

CowlFlaps3Control=66164

CowlFlaps4Control=66165

SteeringTillerControl=1

MaxSteerSpeed=60

Spoilers=-16384,16384/24

SteeringTiller=-16384,0,0,16383/8

LeftBrake=4000,16383/16

RightBrake=4000,16383/16

SlopeSteeringTiller=-3

You see, I only have the brakes, steering tiller and spoilers via FSUIPC.

All other Axis are via FSX standard config.

Now that i have seen this topic I became aware of this problem. I use Saitec Rudder Pedals Pro and as I've had this problem from the start I thought it was by design of AEX because I have no problems taxiing with other planes. With AEX I need 45% N1 to start moving and 35-38% N1 to maintain taxi speed of 10-15 kts. Joystick and pedals are calibrated in FSX.

Mladen

• Aerosoft

Now that i have seen this topic I became aware of this problem. I use Saitec Rudder Pedals Pro and as I've had this problem from the start I thought it was by design of AEX because I have no problems taxiing with other planes. With AEX I need 45% N1 to start moving and 35-38% N1 to maintain taxi speed of 10-15 kts. Joystick and pedals are calibrated in FSX.

Mladen

At medium to high weights that's normal.

At medium to high weights that's normal.

Sorry, Mathijs, but something is not right here! When I disconect Saitec Rudder Pedals, AEX starts moving at IDLE power, GW 61500kg and keeps accelerating. When I reconect the pedals I need 45% N1 to start moving.

Mladen

• Aerosoft

So your rudder pedals are causing drag? I have never heard of such an issue and as far as I can see in the SDK such a connection is not possible. I just disconnected my own rudders while taxing and I saw no increase in speed.

Sorry, Mathijs, but something is not right here! When I disconect Saitec Rudder Pedals, AEX starts moving at IDLE power, GW 61500kg and keeps accelerating. When I reconect the pedals I need 45% N1 to start moving.

Mladen

Thanks, Mladen. That is exactly my point. And I have no idea as to the settings I would need. No rudder pedals = great. Pedals = horrible, even embarrassing, when flying online. It's more a stop and go with HOTAS. I had attributed it to my being new to FSX...

Regards, Dennis

Hello Dennis,

For test I removed Toe Brake assignments from FSX and asigned Toe Brakes in FSUIPC (registered version). No more problems! Taxiing at less then 30% N1 or even at IDLE power. Seems that the latest Saitek driver for Rudder Pedals and AEX don't go together well.

Regards, Mladen

Hello Dennis,

For test I removed Toe Brake assignments from FSX and asigned Toe Brakes in FSUIPC (registered version). No more problems! Taxiing at less then 30% N1 or even at IDLE power. Seems that the latest Saitek driver for Rudder Pedals and AEX don't go together well.

Regards, Mladen

I also had removed the Saitek drivers. Will test your proposed action tomorrow and let you know. Thanks!

I also had removed the Saitek drivers. Will test your proposed action tomorrow and let you know. Thanks!

...and mind my FSUIPC settings ;)

Hello,

thanks for your help, now it works.

Being new to both FSX and the registered FSUIPC, it took my some time to fine tune everything, but after several taxi tests, one offline and one online flight, I'm confident that it works now. And it is a huge improvement: being able to look around and steer at the same time. GREAT!

Just a few issues left:

• Now I really have to use parking brakes if the aircraft isn't supposed to roll away. I will have to get used to that. It has idle thrust and still accelerates (moderately). Is it normal that on the ground the Upper ECAM does not indicate "IDLE"?
  • I take it that it is normal that I don't see the rudder movement in the Lower ECAM any more and that I have to skip the rudder check with the "auto rudder" function in the right MCDU?
  • I still have an issue with brakes after landing: as soon as I touch down, nothing except setting and releasing the parking brakes will make the aircraft stop to slow down respectively to move on after a standstill. This is a bit irritating when flying online and one has either to vacate as soon as possible or at a touch and go because not even TOGA will release this.

Anyway, thanks for all your help which I greatly appreciate!

Cheers,

Dennis

Archived