Camera settings for wide displays (16:9)

hud635jk

The camera settings that come with the Extended are unfortunately for 4:3 displays (zoom factor is too low, and viewing angle needs some editing too).

So, after some trial and error, here are the settings I use for my 16:9 wide display:

[CAMERADEFINITION.000]

Title = "GLARESHIELD MAIN PANEL"

MomentumEffect = No

SnapPbhAdjust = None

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = None

PanPbhReturn = False

AllowZoom = False

InitialZoom = .7

InitialPbh = 11.5, -0, 0

[CAMERADEFINITION.001]

Title = "MCDU I VIEW 2D"

MomentumEffect = No

SnapPbhAdjust = None

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = None

PanPbhReturn = False

AllowZoom = False

InitialZoom = 1.0

InitialPbh = 73.0, 0, 0

ClipMode = Minimum

[CAMERADEFINITION.002]

Title = "MCDU II VIEW 2D"

Guid = {99e81101-ec27-44cc-95f9-901813f23c80}

MomentumEffect = No

SnapPbhAdjust = None

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = None

PanPbhReturn = False

AllowZoom = False

InitialZoom = 1.0

InitialPbh = 73.0, 0, 0

ClipMode = Minimum

[CAMERADEFINITION.003]

Title = "ECAM VIEW"

Guid = {fe09240f-4f09-4bc9-96a0-08cde3e5aca0}

MomentumEffect = No

SnapPbhAdjust = None

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = None

PanPbhReturn = False

AllowZoom = False

InitialZoom = .7

InitialPbh = 22, 0, 0

ClipMode = Minimum

[CAMERADEFINITION.004]

Title = "PEDESTAL VIEW"

Guid = {237c7e20-8f54-4035-8a6a-73338e0561e3}

MomentumEffect = No

SnapPbhAdjust = None

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = None

PanPbhReturn = False

AllowZoom = False

InitialZoom = 1.0

InitialPbh = 67.0, -0, 0

ClipMode = Minimum

[CAMERADEFINITION.005]

Title = "OVERHEAD PANEL VIEW"

Guid = {156af20e-2480-46db-a9fd-8ef38cb450bf}

MomentumEffect = No

SnapPbhAdjust = None

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = None

PanPbhReturn = False

AllowZoom = False

InitialZoom = .6

InitialPbh = -69.000, 0, 0

ClipMode = Minimum

[CAMERADEFINITION.020]

Title = "LANDING VIEW"

MomentumEffect = Yes

SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

PanPbhReturn = False

AllowZoom = False

InitialZoom = .7

InitialPbh = 14.0, -0, 0

Some notes-explanations, although I assume most users know these already: 1. These settings work for all five aircraft models. 2. Before making any changes to aircraft.cfg, always make a backup copy in the same directory with a different name. 3. It's the initialzoom and the first number in initialpbh that do the work (control zoom level and viewing angle, respectively). 4. clipmode=minimum is necessary for all "close" (with increased zoom level) cockpit views (MCDUs, ECAM, pedestal, overhead). Otherwise, exterior objects that are outside (behind) the cockpit walls and floor, will show inside the cockpit, through the walls/floor (such as AES pushback truck and marshaller). 5. Additionally, for any camera (these, or other) you do not want to appear in the view bars, and be present in the "A" keystroke cycle, you may add a:
CycleHidden = Yes

6. For the 2 MDCU views, the ECAM, the pedestal and the overhead view, I would have gone with a step further in zoom factor. Unfortunately, FSX's 3D camera system is very unpredictable and buggy, and many times for no reason it will do one or more of the following:

- set the camera to a slightly different zoom factor

- set the camera to a slightly different viewing angle

- move the viewing point slightly even when "momentum" is prohibited in the camera definition

- prohibit zoom in/out even when it is allowed in the camera definition

That is the reason (and others), I never liked VCs, but only 2D panels. I only use VC (as in the landing view), only for takeoff rolls (until I retract the gear), and in finals after the FAF.

Hope these settings will help some users.

Actually when I copied and replaced the existing data in to aircraft.cfg, when I launched the aircraft I got an error saying something about missing something-or-other. I just reverted back to what Aerosoft gave us. I too need to zoom in my countless wing/cockpit views to get a proper 16:9 feel. It's annoying.

Actually when I copied and replaced the existing data in to aircraft.cfg, when I launched the aircraft I got an error saying something about missing something-or-other. I just reverted back to what Aerosoft gave us. I too need to zoom in my countless wing/cockpit views to get a proper 16:9 feel. It's annoying.

Of course something was missing in your config, if you only took the above lines.

These are not the whole entries for each camera.

Only the lines that change plus the first two, so that you know where to find them within the text file.

I didn't mention that in the notes above (1st post), because I thought everybody knows this.

Of course something was missing in your config, if you only took the above lines.

These are not the whole entries for each camera.

Only the lines that change plus the first two, so that you know where to find them within the text file.

I didn't mention that in the notes above (1st post), because I thought everybody knows this.

Well I figured after it didn't work, then got lazy. And no I guess not everybody knows ;-)

Only people who are familiar with editing views would possibly know this. I've never done it before, so I wouldn't know this.

It's a bad teacher that plans his lesson for those who already know the subject.

Typically, when people share updates to the cfg like this, they do so in a complete manner so that it can just be cut and pasted. For the ease of the edit. And to reduce the chance of errors and confusion. This is the first time I've seen a share like this where the info shared isn't in a form that can be inserted without massive edits. It kind of defeats the purpose when you could have just as easily cut and pasted your complete edited section to be shared instead of just the edits so folks have to manually insert each line themselves.

It's generally considered good user edit sharing etiquette for the sharer to clearly point out COMPLETE instructions for those who might use his offerings. Especially when his or her offering requires specific and detailed procedures to work correctly.

...when people share updates to the cfg like this, they do so in a complete manner so that it can just be cut and pasted. For the ease of the edit. And to reduce the chance of errors and confusion.

...when you could have just as easily cut and pasted your complete edited section to be shared instead of just the edits so folks have to manually insert each line themselves.

Let's not gang up on him, but yeah I was expecting a quick copy and paste job.

In this case, this was not possible for the following two reasons:

a. Some changes are optional and according to personal taste/preference (eg not to include some views in the category cycle)

b. I have made some "extra" changes for my personal preference (all exterior wing views with zoom 1.0). What did you want me to do? Edit them out temporarily for your sake, post here, and then reput them back?

• 2 weeks later...

At the very least, detailed explanations of what was required to make the edits work.

You don't have to share everything, but if you give a share that requires edits to work, share that information. Really quite simple.

Archived