Aerosoft US CITIES X - Los Angeles

jfail1

I confirm it works.... got 30fps on real air lancair downtown LA... nice !..... but would love to have traffic because LA with no traffic is not LA :-)

I also confirm that with no traffic I'm smooth and steady at 30 and higher fps.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All,

I was excited to see this released the other day and downloaded yesterday.

Its great to see lots more attention paid to the Downtown LA area.

I am however experiencing some issue with textures, the buildings downtown ( and I am guessing else where in the package ) are not showing their textures correctly. The new Marriot Hotel on by the Nokia Centre appears to be fine but all others look very dull. Also please let me know from the attached images if you think the ground textures look as though they are showing at the right resolution.

I am not too sure if it is an issue I also have Mega Scenery's Southern California installed too.

AerosoftLAProblems01-800pix.jpg

AerosoftLAProblems02-800pix.jpg

AerosoftLAProblems03-800pix.jpg

Any suggestions?

But other than that, awesome looking work, well done!

Cheers,

Sketchy

Sorry for saying that, but in terms of FPS not the best scenery you released so far :(

Not actually the FPS, the scenery runs with 35 FPS for me but only for a short time, then it almost stops (about 5 FPS) for a while, then again it runs smoothly and so forth.

First thing i did was putting down the buildings to autogens with the "complexity switch", no effect.

Then i tried to find out what the problem causes by decreasing all the settings, with the result that the "Muster Complexity" doesn't have to be smaller than 19m (i am used to play at 5m).

Now i even can switch back to more buildings (not the autogens).

Traffic is at 20% but doesn't have such a big impact by decreasing it.

Just for me or anybody else with that problem?

What i'm doing now is to defragment the harddrive over night, maybe this does the trick.

I'm having similar issues. Tried all that is prescribed here to no avail in both configs standard autogen and 3D same effects. I'm notice a conflict with FSDT Lax2. On the tarmac 0% vehicles FSX is grinding.(of course AS City Lax is activated in scenery lib), very choppy on departure and as I reach downtown everything is smooth -25fps smooth. Turn on vehicles 28% chop chop. If I turn off AS City flying out of FSDT Lax this time smooth 15fps -19fps vehicle on at 28%. Reach downtown (no AS city) 30 -37 fps {fps locked at 30 fps externally - unlimited in FSX).

I'll have to agree at the moment with some of the others' findings. I have almost all AS cities and LAX is the first I've had/have issues. Perhaps there is a minor fix imminent. until such time I wait for future dialog and resolution

I am however experiencing some issue with textures, the buildings downtown ( and I am guessing else where in the package ) are not showing their textures correctly. The new Marriot Hotel on by the Nokia Centre appears to be fine but all others look very dull. Also please let me know from the attached images if you think the ground textures look as though they are showing at the right resolution.

Looks all ok to me except for the ground textures. For the buildings let me quote the following chapter from the manual's FAQs:

Q: Some 3D buildings seem to have misplaced textures!

A: Please note that to create a dense scenery like this for a low price was only possible with some automatic

procedures and images couldn’t be taken from every angle of a cities’ building (for this scenery alone there are

about 5,000 unique buildings!)

In more detail: The city's model has been generated from 45° angle aerial imagery from different perspectives. In the end you have a MUCH higher density of buildings and way more detailed roof textures than usual with completely manually created sceneries (which of course reside in a different price category). But in the end you have a product that is VERY suitable for flightsim use because it's based on actual aerial imagery.

There are a few manually created buildings however (particularly those around the newly constructed LA Live) that have been created in time consuming manual work with the intention to have a good mix of both in the final product.

About your ground aerial imagery: I agree this could look better. Did you set your ground scenery resolution to max? If yes, your video card in combination with the FSX's graphic engine seems to scale down the resolution to free up enough memory for other scenery contents to be loaded on your system. You can however "force" your FSX to show ground textures in higher resolution. I can't go into too much detail about this here because of the complexity of the topic. But googling for "fsx level of detail radius" for example should bring up some more information on this.

Bests,

Sascha

I'm having similar issues. Tried all that is prescribed here to no avail in both configs standard autogen and 3D same effects. I'm notice a conflict with FSDT Lax2. On the tarmac 0% vehicles FSX is grinding.(of course AS City Lax is activated in scenery lib), very choppy on departure and as I reach downtown everything is smooth -25fps smooth. Turn on vehicles 28% chop chop. If I turn off AS City flying out of FSDT Lax this time smooth 15fps -19fps vehicle on at 28%. Reach downtown (no AS city) 30 -37 fps {fps locked at 30 fps externally - unlimited in FSX).

Can you give some more information on your settings and system, please?

• Did you use the Scenery Density tool to replace 3D objects by autogen objects? A highly recommended setting if you're using both FSDT's KLAX and US Cities LA!
  • Did you set the road traffic to 0% as recommended in the manual and that didn't help?
  • Can you give provide some information about your system specs here?

Bests,

Sascha

Hello All,

I was excited to see this released the other day and downloaded yesterday.

Its great to see lots more attention paid to the Downtown LA area.

I am not too sure if it is an issue I also have Mega Scenery's Southern California installed too.

AerosoftLAProblems01-800pix.jpg

AerosoftLAProblems02-800pix.jpg

AerosoftLAProblems03-800pix.jpg

Any suggestions?

But other than that, awesome looking work, well done!

Cheers,

Sketchy

Here are pictures to compare, i tried to get the correct angle, not that easy....

42033732.jpg

94442375.jpg

rly a big difference, here are my settings: resolution 1920x1200x16 Filter: Ansisotrop Antialiasing yes

Global Structure: very high

Because i am using the German Client here are my settings for the scenery in German:

Radius Genauigkeit: Mittel (middle)

Musterkomplexität: 75

Musterauflösung: 5m

Strukturauflösung: 30cm

Wassereffekt: middle 2.x

Landdetail yes

Scenerycomplexity: dense

automatic dense: dense

scenerieeffectdeteils: high

EDIT: I have to add don't be too envy. Even for me the FSX sceneries doesn't look like that all the time.

The textures have to be loaded.

If you are flying over an area often the landscape isn't very sharp, it takes some time till the computer has loaded all the textures.

When you do the screenshots all the textures are already loaded :)

BTW my comp specs are i7 2700k @3,5Ghz 580Nvidia 1,5Gig 4GigRam

• Did you use the Scenery Density tool to replace 3D objects by autogen objects? A highly recommended setting if you're using both FSDT's KLAX and US Cities LA!
  • Did you set the road traffic to 0% as recommended in the manual and that didn't help?

Bests,

Sascha

Thx

Yes

Dell Precision T3500

Nvidia Quadro FX3800 (not internal G card)

24 gb Ram

Processor Intel R Xeon ® W3520 4 core

2Tb Drive FSX

500 gb Drive FS9

tons of add on /scenery

UTX/GEX/FTX/REX-ES/Shade etc..

internal FSX settings (getting 22-25 fps everywhere) locked externally at 30 fps

http://s1046.photobucket.com/albums/b469/usa1368Jacobs/fsx%203%20%20settings%20fps%20snapshot/

let me know if you need any other info...thanks

Hi guys, I don't mean to highjack this thread but how is this compatible with FSDT KLAX

Works great. I did as the manual said and disabled the AF2_KLAX.BGL and haven't seen any issues. I'm pretty pleased.

internal FSX settings (getting 22-25 fps everywhere) locked externally at 30 fps

http://s1046.photobu...s fps snapshot/

Just reduce your road traffic to 0% and your performance problems will be most likely gone like with all others previously (see previous posts about that).

Even 1% road traffic will kill your peformance there!

Bests,

Sascha

From the manual:

It might be a good decision to deactivate the following file by renaming its extension from BGL to OFF

to avoid conflicts:

FSX\Aerosoft\USCitiesX-LosAngeles\Scenery\AF2_KLAX.bgl

What is the possible conflict with KLAX (FSDT)? I have not noticed one yet, just curious where I can expect it.

Thanks,

Sabre.

What is the possible conflict with KLAX (FSDT)? I have not noticed one yet, just curious where I can expect it.

Usually FSX can handle two AFCAD files for one airport just fine and only loads that one with the highest priority (FSDT in this case of course). But there have been several reports by users in the past who had two AFCAD files for the same airport active that caused problems like offset AI traffic at the taxiways, duplicated buildings and the like. Just better to be conservative here than risking any problems.

So after all this does not refer to any particular problems between UC Cities and FSDT's sceneries. Both merge very well.

Even better in fact than US Cities X - Las Vegas and FSDT Las Vegas that were a pretty good combination already.

Bests,

Sascha

Usually FSX can handle two AFCAD files for one airport just fine and only loads that one with the highest priority (FSDT in this case of course). But there have been several reports by users in the past who had two AFCAD files for the same airport active that caused problems like offset AI traffic at the taxiways, duplicated buildings and the like. Just better to be conservative here than risking any problems.

So after all this does not refer to any particular problems between UC Cities and FSDT's sceneries. Both merge very well.

Even better in fact than US Cities X - Las Vegas and FSDT Las Vegas that were a pretty good combination already.

Bests,

Sascha

Since you mentioned Las Vegas.... :) I have a quick question about priority with FSDT KLAS, and US Cities Las Vegas. In my experience it is always better to give the airport scenery priority over the city scenery. However in this case it seems to work better the other way around. Could this have anything to do with the fsx/scenery/cities/LasVegas section interfering? Or do you have any ideas why this might be? Thanks Sascha.

Bests,

Sascha

Works great. I did as the manual said and disabled the AF2_KLAX.BGL and haven't seen any issues. I'm pretty pleased.

Since you mentioned Las Vegas.... :) I have a quick question about priority with FSDT KLAS, and US Cities Las Vegas. In my experience it is always better to give the airport scenery priority over the city scenery. However in this case it seems to work better the other way around. Could this have anything to do with the fsx/scenery/cities/LasVegas section interfering? Or do you have any ideas why this might be? Thanks Sascha.

Tried all of this and here is something very interesting. I move as cities above fsdt and left all other settings as is with traffic and fps improved dramatically. Still a few shutters but doable to enjoy vehicles . What gives ? Shouldn't be upset but this is peculiar. Should I move fsdt further down the priority to reduce shutters even more? I take a stab at it when I return home

Tried all of this and here is something very interesting. I move as cities above fsdt and left all other settings as is with traffic and fps improved dramatically. Still a few shutters but doable to enjoy vehicles . What gives ? Shouldn't be upset but this is peculiar. Should I move fsdt further down the priority to reduce shutters even more? I take a stab at it when I return home

I cannot confirm that. On a clean system without FSDT's KLAX I'm still able to see a few stutters around downtown LA. No matter if US Cities traffic or FSX default traffic is active.

Therefore I have created attached file that, around downtown LA, reduces traffic to the major highways only. The stutters are still not gone but there is a slight improvment.

Just copy it to the folder

FSX\Aerosoft\USCitiesX-LosAngeles\Scenery\

...and remove the other traffic file from that folder (recommended to back it up somewhere):

LosAngeles_Traffic.bgl

As written previously this is nothing we can fix at all. It it would have been caused by "US Cities Los Angeles" we would have been able to look for a in our own files. Problem is that the same problem remains with FSX default road traffic, leaving only one conclusion: FSX is simply getting "hickups" once you have a few multiple lane highways around a highly detailed area. You will see those hickups anywhere else in the FSX world where high polulation density and a dense network of highways meet. But it only gets more apparent once you combine it with a highly detailed/complex scenery in the same area.

We simply cannot fix bugs in FSX's visual engine but let's hope P3D will come with a better traffic engine sooner or later.

Bests,

Sascha

LosAngeles_Traffic_HighwaysOnly.zip

Noted thank you Sascha, this appears to helped significantly. As uttered, still some shutters but overall its very doable. BTW, despite my challenges I must echo what everyone else has discovered with your work "AWESOME" thank you for your commitment and efforts..All in all you've brought the community closer to realism and enjoyment.

Cheers to you and your team.

Hi, just bought the product and it is really great! One thing I noticed when flying to Catalina is that there is no ATC there. It dosent come up on the ATC nearest airport list at all. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi, just bought the product and it is really great! One thing I noticed when flying to Catalina is that there is no ATC there. It dosent come up on the ATC nearest airport list at all. Has anyone else had this problem?

This isn't a problem, it's realistic. Catalina is Unicom.

Airport Communications

CTAF/UNICOM: 122.7

WX ASOS: 120.675 (310-510-9641)

SOCAL APPROACH: 127.4

SOCAL DEPARTURE: 127.4

one issue I have is the OUT OF MEMORY causing a CTD... I fly the NGX with FSDT KLAX... I am still getting nice fps (never below 17-18), but after a few minutes, I got this Windows 7 bell ringing for low memory issue resulting a few minutes later in a CTD...

I have a great system (i7 2700, 8GB Ram, GTX 580..) and the CFG tweaked (usepools=0, affinity mask=14, highmemfix=1)

thank you

one issue I have is the OUT OF MEMORY causing a CTD... I fly the NGX with FSDT KLAX... I am still getting nice fps (never below 17-18), but after a few minutes, I got this Windows 7 bell ringing for low memory issue resulting a few minutes later in a CTD...

I have a great system (i7 2700, 8GB Ram, GTX 580..) and the CFG tweaked (usepools=0, affinity mask=14, highmemfix=1)

thank you

Hi. A great system won't make a difference to the fact that FSX can only use 4GB of RAM (Virtual Address Space to be more exact). With all those addons loaded up you will hit the limit quick.

Your only option is to back off on the sliders until you are within this limit.

If you're not on a 64bit system yet this would be something to consider for the future. I know that FSX is a 64 application but Win7-64 will be able to use more memory and thus will be able to free more space for FSX itself.

You haven't mentioned if you used the Scenery Density Tool to reduce some custom 3D buildings by autogen buildings that are more performance friendly. This setting is intended particularly for people flying airliners above the city that do not need to see every little detail passing by at a rather high speed.

Bests,

Sascha

Archived