Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

Any new external previews to show yet? This one looks interestin I must say ;-)

Best

DagR

If you developers can't find the time to answer the above, can you tell if the external model has been started at least?

Sorry for my silly requests.

Best

DagR

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you developers can't find the time to answer the above, can you tell if the external model has been started at least?

Sorry for my silly requests.

Best

DagR

Hi Dag!

We are working on high speed on it behind the curtains here. The exterior model has progressed very far already, what takes many hours currently is the riveting. As this time the overall texture resolution has grown a lot, the rivet layout must be displayed like in the original. That means around 60.000 of them in total to be placed on this bird. In general modern addons get more and more detail texturewise and that means also that more time and work needs to be invested. But i think there will be shown something the next days.

Best

Stefan

I find watching the progress of this airplane absolutely "riveting" :cool3_s: (jeez, they're gonna be calling the Good Humour Police on me now for sure!!! :help_s:

Sorry guys, just couldn't resist :blowbubble_s:

I think it´s nothing to laugh at...

I really feel with Stefen, who has to add, not only a few thousand, but rather 10th of thoudands rivets - all by hand.

You won´t find many 3D artists who are whilling to spend that much work on such details.

Finn

Finn, please. Maybe there is a language barrier here, but I am NOT laughing at Stefan. Far, far from it. My comments are merely a play on words that perhaps is a phrase known only in North America. I've repainted enough airplanes to fully appreciate how much effort it takes to do the work everyone here is doing.

However, since it seems to be causing angst, I apologise for any offense, and I am removing my comments. They were meant as a bit of levity and humour, but certainly not as a dig at Stefan's work.

Glenn

Finn, please. Maybe there is a language barrier here, but I am NOT laughing at Stefan. Far, far from it. My comments are merely a play on words that perhaps is a phrase known only in North America. I've repainted enough airplanes to fully appreciate how much effort it takes to do the work everyone here is doing.

However, since it seems to be causing angst, I apologise for any offense, and I am removing my comments. They were meant as a bit of levity and humour, but certainly not as a dig at Stefan's work.

Glenn

LOL

Glenn...

No Barrier !!

I fully understand what You where saying :) - No offense.

Offcourse there is room here for such comments - if not then we would all have lost our humor.

I just told that I feel a bit sorry for Stefan, having to plop all those rivets.

Sorry if You got me wrong - just keep going ;)

Best regards

Finn

OK Finn, no worries mate :). I may have interpreted things wrongly as well. The trouble with email/forums is you can't see the smile on a face as one is speaking (universal issue I'm afraid) :).

Thank you for this Finn. And a note to Stefan - don't forget to take a breath every now and then! You do incredible work but it's important to remember to breathe every so often :). Good luck!

Glenn

• Aerosoft

Been doing a few small test on the aircraft this morning and want to show the very high degree of texturing and modeling we (or rather Stefan) is doing. I have not seen better. System wise the development is going on very smoothly, this is really a small airliner and not a GA aircraft in all aspects. Handling the engines certainly takes some practice!

post-43-0-62082200-1362655607_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-40563800-1362655611_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-48088300-1362655615_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-60490000-1362655620_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-68736300-1362655624_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-44488000-1362655628_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-48368800-1362655631_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-32052400-1362655634_thumb.jpg

• Deputy Sheriffs
Been doing a few small test on the aircraft this morning and want to show the very high degree of texturing and modeling we (or rather Stefan) is doing. I have not seen better.

I agree. What a beauty!

I love it and can't wait for this aircraft to be released! Hope there will be paint kit included so I can redo some paints for First Air, the airline where I used to work. They don't run twins anymore, but when they did they had quite the presence in the Canadian Arctic and were in direct competion with Ken Borek's twotter operations.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hope there will be paint kit included so I can redo some paints for First Air, the airline where I used to work. They don't run twins anymore, but when they did they had quite the presence in the Canadian Arctic and were in direct competion with Ken Borek's twotter operations.

Hi Spike,

Are you a pilot yourself? Do you have any juicy Twotter stories to share with us?

I am curious about the real D-IVER as the instrument panel has the T5 and prop rpm switched. I know that it is not an issue but was wondering why it was done that way. Perhaps a request from the company? Maybe to them it is a preferred?

I can't stop smiling ... Great work!

It would be a perfect match if the Twin Otter would be released together with (or close to) ORBX South Alaska scenery!

• Aerosoft

I am curious about the real D-IVER as the instrument panel has the T5 and prop rpm switched. I know that it is not an issue but was wondering why it was done that way. Perhaps a request from the company? Maybe to them it is a preferred?

I'll ask them, they are really very nice people.

• Aerosoft

The developers of the Twotter chided me this morning for sending up screenshots with a seemingly low fps. So I make amends by sending up two more images. One is from the Twin Otter at 63 fps, the second is from the FSX default Goose at 54 fps. It shows to what lengths our staff goes to get good fps.

post-43-0-09829100-1362679606_thumb.jpg post-43-0-90995600-1362679614_thumb.jpg

It shows to what lengths our staff goes to get good fps.

Which is actually very important since not everybody has a good system. I was very suprised about the great FPS when testing the Bronco a year ago. There are some developers who do not care if the FPS are good or bad, but you do, which is great ;)

Which is actually very important since not everybody has a good system. I was very suprised about the great FPS when testing the Bronco a year ago. There are some developers who do not care if the FPS are good or bad, but you do, which is great ;)

In our small internal (Aerosoft) team (Mathijs, Stefan Hoffmann, John Cagle & I) we always has strived for high FPS. Knowing that the average flight simmer is a middleaged guy (or gal) with a family to feed, the newest and fastest computer is selvdom on the toplist of the family needs (I guess food, cloth and shoes for the kids and a monthly new dress for the wife comes first).

At the same time nothing is more of an imersion killer than choppy framerates during the apporach to Your favorit highend airfielf/airport addon. We belive that the most lasting addons are those that gives a smooth experience, even in denser sceneries.

I think we have proven that this can be achieved even with state of the art modelling, texturing and at the same time adding some of the best flight dynamics, coupled with believable aircraft systems and avionics without compromising FPS. May I mention our other projects like the Hughes H-1, Catalina, Airbus X Extended and Bronco.

Finn

Do we call that "teasing" ??

We are standing there like the wolf in a Tex Avery picture in front of Red Riding Hood dancing on the scene !!!!

• Deputy Sheriffs

I think the Grumman goose should be a candidate for a aerosoft build

the twin otter looks great good work.

chadhittenberger

Please, Chad, think before you post. This thread is for the Twin Otter X Extended. Requests for new products go here, where you already suggested some things.

I hope Aerosoft has got world class servers. When this thing is released.... Lordy... Any developers with Twotters on their to-do lists can definitely remove them once and for all. This is culmination of all Twotters for any version of Flight Simulator/P3D. IMHO, this cannot and will never be topped any time soon. Top notch, guys. Keep going.

Cheers.

I really love the detail on this, but I have one comment. Like the Airbus, the Twotter seems to be using a materials property that gives the exterior paint a kind of satin/eggshell finish and not a gloss paint look. I know this is probably less of a problem with the Twotter because I doubt there will be many 'clean' repaints done; but I do think it's an issue.

That said, maybe it's just me............I don't see anyone else making a similar comment :unsure:

If I get to Paderborn early enough on the 12th April (for the FS Conference), I might just have to pop in to Mathijs office to have a look at the Twotter for myself :D

Archived