Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

beverdriver i have allways enjoyed your posts on the forms an i acculy have never thaught abaut it that way befor. thx for the back round story idid not know you where aculy a pilot . the lesson in avation is all ways good thx guys.

chad hittenberger

what is the difference between beta range and reverse? this question has always been on my mind!

chad hittenberger

Beta is a low range power setting in which the power levers control prop pitch as well. Usually a flat pitch (no thrust) to a very fine pitch (very little thrust) before beta range ends and normal operating range begins. Reverse is below beta and reverses the prop pitch to aid in braking after landing. Neither are advisable in flight because the drag induced by the relatively flat prop pitch in beta range can be quite dramatic. Beta range makes taxing much easier as it provides a smooth application of thrust through the propellers instead of the annoying forward surges found in most FS turboprops.

The only aircraft on the FS market that I am aware of that simulates beta and reverse is the Majestic Dash 8 Q300. They used an odd work around that while not ideal, does enable beta and reverse (smoothly) and it is fantastic!

Disclaimer: this is all of the top of my head and it is the end of a long day so if I have given out any misinformation please feel free to correct me.

You pretty much nailed it Grant. The other FSX airplane that does this is the Carenado 208, although I don't know that Fernando ever really explained that's what was happening (people thought it was a bug), and it may have been after the customer mods were installed that you saw this behaviour (I didn't fly the pre-customer mod version very much). On that machine, if you pulled the thrust lever back fully, the aircraft would almost stop in middair (disconcerting until you got used to <LOL>), just as the Q300 would. As you said though, it sure smooths things out and is used a lot IRL and is a great feature in FSX aircraft where modeled. There are videos out there (and I saw this a LOT IRL when I was up in the boonies) where they'd put one engine into Beta (or slight reverse) and work the other one, and they could either spin a Twin Otter on the spot (within its own length) or make it slip sideways into a dock (this is all on floats obviously). Pretty neat to see.

One other "trick" some (few) Twin Otter pilots who were running skydivers up and down all day to higher altitude jumps would do (reportedly - never saw this myself), is they'd climb at max rate to 10,000, "release their load", then go into beta, point the nose to the ground and come down something close to vertical (it wasn't, but it must have seemed like it). It's not recommended by the Twin Otter pilots I used to know up north. If one governor failed you'd be pointing very steeply down then would start to "cartwheel" because you'd have uneven thrust (or lack thereof) on each engine. Being at a low speed like that wouldn't leave you much rudder authority to fix the problem while getting both engines back to even power. As I say, I never saw this myself, nor did I know anyone who actually did it, but there are enough reports of it out there that it probably did. Not sure I'd ever do it myself if I had had the chance :wacko: .

• Deputy Sheriffs

paulcing landing lights for the flotplane twinotter would be a great inprovemet for the extended .long noes on the flot twinotter it just looks better.

chad hittenberger

Chad, a great improvement would also be if you would use a spelling checker before hitting the 'post' button.

Please consider this out of respect for the readers.

• Deputy Sheriffs

A great improvement would also be if you would use a spelling checker before hitting the 'post' button.

Please consider this out of respect for the readers.

At least he gets his name right ... you gotta give him that :)

Right on page 1 was linked a video (the 2nd, called "twin otter jump run") http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/52170-twin-otter-x-extended/#entry355313

After the jumpers deployed at around 8 minutes, you can see the pilot goes into a steep dive with 3000 ft/min at 9:34 min of the video.

Maybe this is what you were talking about BeaverDriver?

paulcing landing lights for the flotplane twinotter would be a great inprovemet for the extended .long noes on the flot twinotter it just looks better.

chad hittenberger

Improvement, Chad. Good suggestion. I've been living in Vancouver the last 6 years and I often see West Coast Air Twin Otters with their pulse lights on transitioning north and south overhead YVR. I would love to see that on all float versions of the Extended too. Like, Eric said though, work the spelling a lil bit, hey?

Cheers.

Back on topic, Gentlemen!

I pulled out the "old" Twin Otter from the hangar yesterday and did some short flights in B.C., Canada. Having in mind your preview pictures of the cockpit it was a rather strong contrast. Great improvement!

Will the new Twin Otter have a 2D instrument panel that can be displayed on a separate screen or is there only a virtual cockpit? A 2D cockpit would be nice for a home cockpit!

Yeah, Grant nailed it quite well !

According to different engine/prop rigging and adjustements you can really find a great interest in using the Bêta range IN FLIGHT ( yes, it's authorized on some airframes as stated in the PoH )

The PC-6 " customised " for skydive operations got it, they are able to dive at -35/-40° pitch attitude , - 8000 Ft/min without exceeding 115-120 KIAS... DO YOU BELIEVE THAT ?!!

On that particular plane ( I know it cause I'm making one ), the PCL ( Power Control Lever ) is in reverse range ( actually, reverse range is just the aft ground part of Bêta range, as Bêta is all blade angle range that don't produce forward thrust ( forward thrust is Alpha range ) ) when you lift that PCL above idle gate. In the first early degrees of forward PCL movements, you are in the " sweet " Bêta range and yes you directly control the blade pitch, slightly correlated with Ng control to keep the prop out of reactionless mode.

If you're interested in the matter, I suggest you to read my article on my little blog, I explained the whole thing with qutie simple terms, so anyone can get the true idea about how a variable pitch/Constant Speed/Turboprop prop works, with nice illustrations.

http://hueyman.overb...lers-propellers

No it's not off-topic, as you virtual pilots, by learning new things everyday, will be better Twin Otter pilot when it's released ;-)

• Deputy Sheriffs

If you're interested in the matter, I suggest you to read my article on my little blog, I explained the whole thing with qutie simple terms, so anyone can get the true idea about how a variable pitch/Constant Speed/Turboprop prop works, with nice illustrations.

http://hueyman.overb...lers-propellers

That's a very nice article, thanks Hueyman!

I certainly like to learn as much as possible about the Twotter.

Right on page 1 was linked a video (the 2nd, called "twin otter jump run") http://forum.aerosof...ed/#entry355313

After the jumpers deployed at around 8 minutes, you can see the pilot goes into a steep dive with 3000 ft/min at 9:34 min of the video.

Maybe this is what you were talking about BeaverDriver?

Yeah, I missed that first time through. Thanks for pointing that out. Man, that gives me the willies looking at that <LOL>. I guess if it's approved in the POH, it must be ok, but boy, you still wouldn't want anything going wrong with one engine doing that :P . Very interesting video - thanks!

What is the normal load day to day operation of the twin otter between passengers and bags? just wondering for use in corrent twin otter flights!

cahadhittenberger

That could vary quite a lot depending on how and where. In FSX, there is no right or wrong answer really so just use your imagination.

does any one fly the twinotter in airline ops as a captain in real life that could answer the above question for me?

chad Hittenberger

Not a real world Twin Otter captain, but I think I can roughly answer your question.

If you fly at the Cariibean for example or at the Maldives you'd most propably have tourists on board who want to make holidays. Usually those guys have the upper limit for the luggage allowed on airliners with them + what they're allowed to carry by hand. So you could cound 20-25kg for each of them.

does any one fly the twinotter in airline ops as a captain in real life that could answer the above question for me? chad Hittenberger

Hi,

I was passenger at 8Q-TMR at X-mas. And our flight we has been fully booked and me and my family (4 persons) have only be allowed for 20kg hand luggage in total. The rest was transported by speed boat. On other flights some people have been allowed for carrying their luggage. This really depends, how fully booked the machine is.

Btw: Pilots are flying their in shorts and wear no shoes :glare_s:

Rgds

Reinhard

post-50406-0-55989200-1362402087_thumb.j

• Deputy Sheriffs
Hi, I was passenger at 8Q-TMR at X-mas. And our flight we has been fully booked and me and my family (4 persons) have only be allowed for 20kg hand luggage in total. The rest was transported by speed boat. On other flights some people have been allowed for carrying their luggage. This really depends, how fully booked the machine is. Btw: Pilots are flying their in shorts and wear no shoes

I love this real life Twin Otter stories.

Please keep them coming, guys! :)

will the ram air recovery function work?

chad hittenberger

Chad...

The RAM Air lever will be animated, but what else do You think is possible to simulate with it ?

We are happy for Your interest in this project, but please don´t request silly features.

Finn

Archived