Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

Well then, I think the rivet count is out.........Just kidding!! Excellent job Aerosoft and thanks for the update Mathijs.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The exterior of D-IVER is done..... and she looks like a real star.

Well, if this product were for MS Flight you could release without a cockpit and interieur ;)

Looks great. Right now I mostly fly Heavy metal but that will change with the release :)

WOW! You guys nailed the prop spinning helice textures! This thing looks gorgeous! Awesome job, guys! PIlots now too! Fantabulous! Now it actually looks like it's ready for the world airports. Sweet.

Cheers.

Hey guys,

Quick question. Been meaning to ask for a while but it's been slipping my mind. Will the slide windows be included in the features for this aircraft? The pilot and copilot door windows can slide up and down just like a car's. I think that would be an awesome feature to have. Taxiing around in the hot tropics with the windows open just before takeoff and right after landing. Even on floats coming up to the dock to tie up. Yes sir. That would be right fantastic.

Cheers.

• Aerosoft

Hey guys,

Quick question. Been meaning to ask for a while but it's been slipping my mind. Will the slide windows be included in the features for this aircraft? The pilot and copilot door windows can slide up and down just like a car's. I think that would be an awesome feature to have. Taxiing around in the hot tropics with the windows open just before takeoff and right after landing. Even on floats coming up to the dock to tie up. Yes sir. That would be right fantastic.

Cheers.

Right now we do not have that added because it adds more drawcalls and clickzones and that is hard on frames, we'll see later.

Sorry to be off topic:

There was a post with a link (and I think it was in this forum) to article about a team on a ferry flight from Canada to (I think it was) the Philipines via Alaska and Russia.

I scrolled down the thread but didn't find it. Does anyone remember that post?

Thanks for your help!

I'm coming into this late so you may have found more info already, but this sounds like a flight for Maldivian Air Taxi. They charter Twin Otters on floats from someone over here (Canada - maybe Kenn Borek), and every so many months they swap the aircraft out. Generally they go via the Middle East, Europe, UK, Iceland, Greenland and into Canada, but I suppose they could go the other way as well. Do a search for that and you might find more info on them.

As you say it I also remember seeing it somewhere. Not sure if it was within this thread or not though...

Have you already tried the forum search?

PS.: I'll delete these posts after we resolved your issue as they're offtopic.

Yes, please do so, Emi! Thanks for not deleting it right away!

Is this it? http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=79032 There are a few pages worth.

Thanks, DeltaAlpha. That was the one I was looking for!

I'm coming into this late so you may have found more info already, but this sounds like a flight for Maldivian Air Taxi. They charter Twin Otters on floats from someone over here (Canada - maybe Kenn Borek), and every so many months they swap the aircraft out. Generally they go via the Middle East, Europe, UK, Iceland, Greenland and into Canada, but I suppose they could go the other way as well. Do a search for that and you might find more info on them.

Thanks Glenn, for that information. I wasn't aware of that story but will try to find some information and some stories about that route.

Right now we do not have that added because it adds more drawcalls and clickzones and that is hard on frames, we'll see later.

Thanks, Mathijs. Good to know. I hope you guys can do it "later". If not, no big deal. It's still a masterpiece. Are you looking at a model by model release or are you gonna wait and roll them all out at once?? Either way is cool by me.

Cheers.

Looks better with every update.

One tiny tiny issue though. As far as I am aware, there are no rivets on the roof escape hatch. In fact, it's made out of a composite material, unlike the rest of the fuselage. I know I'm nitpicking here. That 3D rim alone shows your spectacular attention to details. And of course, it might be different with the model you guys have used as your reference. If not, it's only a matter of removing the rivets from the texture/bump map and also removing the reflection from the alpha channel.

This is the BAS reference photo I received from David Hardie:

rfEyV2N.jpg

As you said, should be no problem using bump/spec maps ;)

Did something like this for the "old" Twin Otter, but never finished it.

The Twin Otter Extended announcement hopped in between so I stopped working on there.

attachicon.gifRoof_Exit.png

I remember your HD kit, Daniel. Mapping on the old Twin Otter was a real pain. This one looks seriously impressive, even though I haven't even seen the textures yet.

• Aerosoft

Looks better with every update.

One tiny tiny issue though. As far as I am aware, there are no rivets on the roof escape hatch. In fact, it's made out of a composite material, unlike the rest of the fuselage. I know I'm nitpicking here. That 3D rim alone shows your spectacular attention to details. And of course, it might be different with the model you guys have used as your reference. If not, it's only a matter of removing the rivets from the texture/bump map and also removing the reflection from the alpha channel.

This is the BAS reference photo I received from David Hardie:

rfEyV2N.jpg

It seems there are a few versions around (some with supports on that hatch that are fixed with rivets) but they are now removed from the model! Good catch, you earned yourself a free copy. Contact me when we release and I'll sort it out.

• Aerosoft

It seems there are a few versions around (some with supports on that hatch that are fixed with rivets) but they are now removed from the model! Good catch, you earned yourself a free copy. Contact me when we release and I'll sort it out.

Here is the corrected version. Also visible is the addition of the handle on the left rear cargo door. This is originally not installed on the D-IVER for what reason ever, but it is serial equipment.

post-43-0-83328300-1366299610_thumb.jpg

I like the pilot holding on to the throttles in the last picture. The exterior looks great but too new for bush ops so hopefully the paint kit or a livery will included a weathered look option.

The exterior is correct for this special livery. Its well maintenanced and cleaned....german machine!

When you read the livery list carefully you will find a TUNDRA WHEEL version also, and i think THIS is a candidate for being dirty! ;-)

• Aerosoft

mathijs love the weight and balance sheet is it a totally stand alone one like last time or does it actually change the weight of the plane in fsx as well unlike the original twin otter x.

great job guys

It connects to FSX and changes the weight in there.

Archived