Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

Aerosoft Team

yes it is the glass cockpit i am talking about .the only thing that i dont under stand is why they did not weight for the pt6a 140a engins to come to market that would make the twin otter over 1700 shp continuous 867 ehp per engine i know that would cost alot more money but with those engins it would be a kick butt float plane even better then the one you fly. it would take off in a real short 850 feet at gross weight of 12500 and land in 725 feet at max landing weight. are the twin otters you fly stpck 200s and 300s Keith?

Chad the twinotter's that i fly are 300's. If you take a look at my picture this is me taking off out of Round lake during the Fire fight here in Kirkland Lake in 2012 of May. M.N.R

Regards, Keith

post-60164-0-51755500-1365813960_thumb.j

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.. Doing a third true polar climate variant is under discussion but unsure.

That would be awesome. But like I said, I'm happy to work around it and just paint over the tie!! :D

Have you guys decided on what interior will be used for the wheel/ski versions or is it too early to ask? Is it going to be a mix of PAX, fuel barrels and cargo like the old Twotter?

I got a lot of input from David Hardie (ex BAS pilot) when I updated my repaint for Antarctica X (don't think it's been released yet). I'm sort of obsessed with it now! It's the only version I'm interested in, to be honest. All reference photos and hand drawn logos are reorganised and ready for the new paint kit. Can't wait.

Hey Glenn. We do have just 4 stock beavers on the ramp that we use for the bird dog flights. I first started out on the beaver when i got hired on. Then i got my turbine rating, So it is only once in little while i get out on the beaver.

oh just to add i am based out of Ottawa and Kirkland Lake fire base's

Regards, Keith

Interesting. I didn't even realize Ottawa had a fire base. That said, I remember Bradley being not too far from there way, way back and they did work for the MNR. Been to Kirkland Lake a couple of times, but never for very long. Had a friend in Hearst so I was there a bit, and a friend who currently flies out of Lillibelle Lake in Cochrane, but it's been a while since I've been up that way.

Good chatting with you Keith. Enjoy the season :).

Glenn

Interesting. I didn't even realize Ottawa had a fire base. That said, I remember Bradley being not too far from there way, way back and they did work for the MNR. Been to Kirkland Lake a couple of times, but never for very long. Had a friend in Hearst so I was there a bit, and a friend who currently flies out of Lillibelle Lake in Cochrane, but it's been a while since I've been up that way.

Good chatting with you Keith. Enjoy the season :).

Glenn

Thanks Glenn you have a great weekend and a good spring as well. Oh did you have a chance to take a look at my picture of the otter it is about the 3rd one up from this post. It's a thumnail hope u like it. Regards, Keith

Thanks Glenn you have a great weekend and a good spring as well. Oh did you have a chance to take a look at my picture of the otter it is about the 3rd one up from this post. It's a thumnail hope u like it. Regards, Keith

I did Keith. It's a super pic. I've actually seen that airplane IRL before and it may have been at Weagamow (same Round Lake, or is your image the Round Lake near Ottawa?) that I saw it. However, at one time I think it was based in the Sault. I believed it worked a fire that I was involved with between Webwood and Elliot Lake. I was flying a 185 at the time and had to stick a fire crew on an island (don't remember the name of the lake now) that had caught fire a short time earlier. Most of the island was in flames and I had to nose in to keep the wings from getting singed (good plan, since the fuel is in the wings in the 185 <LOL>). Not too long after I pulled out, a Twin Otter with fire bombing capabilities landed there, and I'm almost certain it was that one (I had a pic of it somewhere, but it's gone now, but I did remember the reg for some reason). Anyway, they and the ground crew made short work of the fire, which was good because it was a short jump to the mainland. Nice to see it's still going and still working :).

Glenn

I did Keith. It's a super pic. I've actually seen that airplane IRL before and it may have been at Weagamow (same Round Lake, or is your image the Round Lake near Ottawa?) that I saw it. However, at one time I think it was based in the Sault. I believed it worked a fire that I was involved with between Webwood and Elliot Lake. I was flying a 185 at the time and had to stick a fire crew on an island (don't remember the name of the lake now) that had caught fire a short time earlier. Most of the island was in flames and I had to nose in to keep the wings from getting singed (good plan, since the fuel is in the wings in the 185 <LOL>). Not too long after I pulled out, a Twin Otter with fire bombing capabilities landed there, and I'm almost certain it was that one (I had a pic of it somewhere, but it's gone now, but I did remember the reg for some reason). Anyway, they and the ground crew made short work of the fire, which was good because it was a short jump to the mainland. Nice to see it's still going and still working :).

Glenn

That might of been me flying tanker 846. But i have a nice video for you to watch of the 2 of us doing 3 minute cycles at McCrae Lake during the July 15 2012 fire fight's we do have fire drop capabilities. Our floats are setup for water pickups, They are one of the biggest floats made for the otter. they are edio floats. A friend of mine sent this video to me last year. Hope you like it Glenn

Regards, Keith

That might of been me flying tanker 846. But i have a nice video for you to watch of the 2 of us doing 3 minute cycles at McCrae Lake during the July 15 2012 fire fight's we do have fire drop capabilities. Our floats are setup for water pickups, They are one of the biggest floats made for the otter. they are edio floats. A friend of mine sent this video to me last year. Hope you like it Glenn

Regards, Keith

Oh man, VERY kewl Keith!!! Boy, does that bring back memories on many fronts! Not just watching the bombers in action, but I've done canoe trips all through that region (long before it was as built up as it is now!). I love that last boat in the video - oblivious of the fact that they may well end up getting run over. Been there a few times too :confused_s: . The fire I referred to was back in 1981 so unless you were flying it then, it was unlikely to be you.

I'm surprised that there are floats now made by Edo. I thought all the Twin Otter floats were CAP's or Wiplines (not as sure about the latter). I've always been a big fan of Edo's, and far less so for CAP's, although the CAP's did give you more speed in the air admittedly. Tell me, do you feel much drag from the scoops as they open and do you get much of a tendency towards forward pitching of the nose once they do open? There's nothing obvious in the video to indicate that there is, but boy, I remember landing a little flat a couple of times when the winds were squirrelly and it made for some "interesting" moments. I would think those scoops would have somewhat the same effect. Is that true?

Thanks for this Keith. I'm not sure if we are "off topic" or not, but hopefully the moderators are finding your posts as interesting as I am, and it sure does apply to the Twin Otter (obviously!).

Glenn

• Deputy Sheriffs

I love those real life adventure stories of Twotters! I wish they could be part of the documentation somehow when the Twotter is released.

I love those real life adventure stories of Twotters! I wish they could be part of the documentation somehow when the Twotter is released.

Eric this why i do what i do. For the love of flying for love of helping people stay were they are, In there home. And this is why i love to help with this project! It makes me happy

Regards Keith

I love to read those talks! Floats that are used for water-tanks; I have never heard of that before, Gentlemen! Great!

And how great it would be to have the "water-bomber-role" reflected later in an update/patch/add-on or maybe together with a mission pack! That would be more than cool!

Mathijs, did you present the Twotter at FS Conference? Neither I or some other friends could find the presentation, lol

Not sure if he did, but if yes then surely at the same computer he was also showing different other things on. Anyways, I'll ask Mathijs if I'm allowed to should you a few VC teaser shots :)

OK. I've discovered all the other previews, but the german AS page said there will be also the Twotter. And Emi, please do NOT tease us, it just hurts too bad because you already have this plane ;)

OK. I've discovered all the other previews, but the german AS page said there will be also the Twotter. And Emi, please do NOT tease us, it just hurts too bad because you already have this plane ;)

Amen, bro. I've got access to Twotters (5 of them) and I got some killer recordings but I got no idea how to put together a soundset properly. I'm looking at a tutorial about how to use FSSound Studio. Hopefully I'll figure it out.

Cheers.

She's such a beauty...

And it's so great there is no KLN90 in the cockpit. I really HATE this one. I hate it in the old Twotter, in the Flight1 Islander, well, it's just not the right GPS System for me. Garmin for the win.

Sorry to be off topic:

There was a post with a link (and I think it was in this forum) to article about a team on a ferry flight from Canada to (I think it was) the Philipines via Alaska and Russia.

I scrolled down the thread but didn't find it. Does anyone remember that post?

Thanks for your help!

As you say it I also remember seeing it somewhere. Not sure if it was within this thread or not though...

Have you already tried the forum search?

PS.: I'll delete these posts after we resolved your issue as they're offtopic.

Archived