Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

Aerosoft Team

• Aerosoft

What exactly is ''extended'' in this version? I don't see the big difference...

Just that the previous version was a moderate complexity project done in 2009 and this is state of the art work with high complexity.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Aerosoft

We decided to have two sets of pilots for the Twin Otter as it is hard to use the same crew for Antarctica and Tahiti. This is the set for the colder climates. Tomorrow they will go shopping for headsets.

post-43-0-85452300-1365612008_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-96438300-1365612011_thumb.jpg

Hi Finn,

The experience shows that is very difficult to develop perfect software products! There are almost always smaller or bigger issues when software is released. My thoughts were: The more different beta testers are testing the plane, the installer, the handling of tools and the manual the higher is the chance to discover and fix certain issues before release. More testers have different approaches to do certain things and different hardware and different setups which also increase the chance to find issues before release. So I meant that the more beta testers are testing the higher is the chance that the final product will be close to perfect and easy to handle and good to understand than if fewer testers would look over it.

Same is for the second part: The more testers the faster are certain milestones achieved. I assume that you have a certain schedule to go through and benchmark to reach before you consider the product ready for release and I think that more testers can reach these milestones faster than fewer testers. Correct?

Btw: Do you have some not so experienced beta testers that represent the customers not so experienced with FSX, engine technology and handling of aircraft in general and Twin Otter in particular?

Anyway, let the team do its work and we customers will see what comes out of it. I don’t want to go too far off topic.

Best regards,

Till

With my question about what logic was behind the assumption that more testers would lead to a faster release, or a release with less bugs I meant the following:

To test an addon You really need some diversity among the testers. To find issues that are casued by various types of hardware and software there must be a broad selection of testers with different setups.

Issues we have seen during the years are:

-Different GPU's

-Different Joysticks and controllers

-Different drivers

-Different OS versions and languages (Win XP 32/64 bit, Vista 32/64 bit, Windows 7 in all it's many versions and Windows 8) - combine this with different GPU's and driver versions.

-Different versions of FS i.e FSX SP2, FSX Acceleration & P3D

-A ton of different addon utilities like weather, Camera, Online programs etc...

-Different FS install locations (Programs(X86) is generally deemed a bad place due to UAC).

As You can see - it would almost be impossible to get enough testers to cover all the combinations possible with the above, and certain combinations often surprices us and cannot be found before released to a broader audience.

Next thing is the skill level of the testers...

You would probably think that having real pilots, who fly the particular aircraft, would be the best thing to have.

ften they will act very much the same as in reallife i.e keep flying the aircraft safe and use proper procedures, they will find obvious bugs or wrong system logic as well as being very good to tell about the flightmodel but they often don´t find bugs caused by doing something "stupid".

Then there are the FS newbies, they are important too, cause they do things to the addon most of us hardly could think on, finding bugs that wouldn´t be revealed by doing things by the book.

Between these two segments comes the seasoned, and often hardcore, flightsimmers. They know about many of the issues that are present in FSX, as well as having a broad knowledge about aircrafts and aircraftsystems.

But none of the above types are any good if they cannot communicate in a way the developers can understand.

Reports like "The autopilot doesn´t work" is useless. It´s importent that they can tell the exact steps that lead to a certain issue.

Being a beta tester might sound very interesting, and most often it is. But it really demands that You are willing to run the same tests over and over again, maybe flying the exact same pattern, route or profile 10, 20 or more times.

Most people will loose patience long before reaching flight number 10.

Bottom line is that it´s really not the number of testers that matters, but rather the quality of the testing and communication between testers and developers.

Putting more testers on a project does not mean that testing can be done in a shorter time, cause the developers must also be able to cope with all the reports they get.

It´s very much like having 2 workers working in a small room on a job that normally requires 20 hours to get done.

Putting 20 workers on the same job won´t have it finished in 2 hours, cause there is simply no room for all those workers.

Back to the Twin Otter, where we still only are at "alpha" testing....

I can only say that the testers present are very good and gives superb feedback, so I´m sure that it will have a positive impact on the quality of the release version.

Finn

one thing i want to see in the extended version of the twin otter is the flap gauge stop exactly at 10,20.30,and 40 degrees detente and not between 10 and 20 degrees and then between 20 and 30 degrees like on the old twin otter. Finn can we make shore that 40 degrees of flap is exactly 40 degrees down. just some thoughts. the plane looks great great job guys! i wish i had payed more attention in math and went to college so i could help you with code . i did not go to college thought so i can only tell you things based on be old twin otter x that i fly all the time.

one thing i want to see in the extended version of the twin otter is the flap gauge stop exactly at 10,20.30,and 40 degrees detente and not between 10 and 20 degrees and then between 20 and 30 degrees like on the old twin otter. Finn can we make shore that 40 degrees of flap is exactly 40 degrees down. just some thoughts. the plane looks great great job guys! i wish i had payed more attention in math and went to college so i could help you with code . i did not go to college thought so i can only tell you things based on be old twin otter x that i fly all the time.

Already done ;)

As Kyle said - it´s allready done.

But You won´t see 40° since the highest flap setting is 37.5°.

Finn

With my question about what logic was behind the assumption that more testers would lead to a faster release, or a release with less bugs I meant the following:

To test an addon You really need some diversity among the testers. To find issues that are casued by various types of hardware and software there must be a broad selection of testers with different setups.

Issues we have seen during the years are:

-Different GPU's

-Different Joysticks and controllers

-Different drivers

-Different OS versions and languages (Win XP 32/64 bit, Vista 32/64 bit, Windows 7 in all it's many versions and Windows 8) - combine this with different GPU's and driver versions.

-Different versions of FS i.e FSX SP2, FSX Acceleration & P3D

-A ton of different addon utilities like weather, Camera, Online programs etc...

-Different FS install locations (Programs(X86) is generally deemed a bad place due to UAC).

As You can see - it would almost be impossible to get enough testers to cover all the combinations possible with the above, and certain combinations often surprices us and cannot be found before released to a broader audience.

Next thing is the skill level of the testers...

You would probably think that having real pilots, who fly the particular aircraft, would be the best thing to have.

ften they will act very much the same as in reallife i.e keep flying the aircraft safe and use proper procedures, they will find obvious bugs or wrong system logic as well as being very good to tell about the flightmodel but they often don´t find bugs caused by doing something "stupid".

Then there are the FS newbies, they are important too, cause they do things to the addon most of us hardly could think on, finding bugs that wouldn´t be revealed by doing things by the book.

Between these two segments comes the seasoned, and often hardcore, flightsimmers. They know about many of the issues that are present in FSX, as well as having a broad knowledge about aircrafts and aircraftsystems.

But none of the above types are any good if they cannot communicate in a way the developers can understand.

Reports like "The autopilot doesn´t work" is useless. It´s importent that they can tell the exact steps that lead to a certain issue.

Being a beta tester might sound very interesting, and most often it is. But it really demands that You are willing to run the same tests over and over again, maybe flying the exact same pattern, route or profile 10, 20 or more times.

Most people will loose patience long before reaching flight number 10.

Bottom line is that it´s really not the number of testers that matters, but rather the quality of the testing and communication between testers and developers.

Putting more testers on a project does not mean that testing can be done in a shorter time, cause the developers must also be able to cope with all the reports they get.

It´s very much like having 2 workers working in a small room on a job that normally requires 20 hours to get done.

Putting 20 workers on the same job won´t have it finished in 2 hours, cause there is simply no room for all those workers.

Back to the Twin Otter, where we still only are at "alpha" testing....

I can only say that the testers present are very good and gives superb feedback, so I´m sure that it will have a positive impact on the quality of the release version.

Finn

Hi Finn,

I think we are very close together. Only that I have not considered your last point (with the 20 guys in one room...).

Thanks for the insight!

Regards, Till

Well, guys, I ve just started up the Antarctica version of the old Twin Otter and it hasnt been that much fun. You ve spoiled me that much with your preview material that I couldnt really enjoy ;)

I am really looking forward to the Conference on saturday and I hope I will get to see some Twin Otter stuff there :)

if its 37.5 degrees why does the flap indicator say 40 degrees and the flap lever also says that ?

i learn something new every day. thanks for the info finn

That is a good point. I have not been able to figure that one out, As i fly the twotter in real life for the Ontario Ministry of natural resources. The one i fly is on Amphibian float version with wheels, all all Love beta testing this one' when i am not at work about 5 hours a day is spent on the testing and feedback.

Regard Keith

That is a good point. I have not been able to figure that one out, And i fly the twotter in real life for the Ontario Ministry of natural resources. The one i fly is on Amphibian float version all all Love beta testing this one' when i am not at work about 5 hours a day is spent on the testing and feedback.

Regard Keith

Hey Keith, that's pretty neat. I did some contract flying for the MNR way back in the 80's out of White River (I was assigned FHR, coincidentally, which if you have the Aerosoft Beaver package, you'll understand the significance of that :) ) and Webwood (Agnew Lake Air Services - think that one is gone now). The Chief Pilot from the first place I worked out of (Jellicoe) went on to the MNR after his stint there. He's the guy that first got me onto Beavers after my time on 180's & 185's. Very nice fellow and he deserved the promotion for sure. Good to hear the MNR is still flying the Twin Otters around. Do they have any stock Beavers left or have they gone solely to the turbo Beaver now?

Anyway, just had to say hi when I saw your post. Good luck with the beta testing and the RW job :excellenttext_s:

Glenn

Hope the Antarctic Pilots will get some Canada Goose Jackets, it's hard being a pilot down south or up north.

Like the guys at AWI said: Cockpit (+30°C) - Tail section (-20°C) :D

Ditto. If I'm not wrong, I think high visibility colours are actually compulsory for BAS crew (standard issued bright red jackets). I'm not sure about Kenn Borek pilots. But in general, it's sort of a non-written common sense rule. Those neck ties will have to go. Fortunately, they're just textures and can be painted over.

A third full blown Arctic/Antarctic gear would be fantastic. But I can understand why they wouldn't want to spend time on something that is basically going to be used in less than a handful of liveries (i.e. BAS, Kenn Borek and a couple of military liveries). At least it won't be as weird looking as the current one. It's like a silk robe!!

Ditto. If I'm not wrong, I think high visibility colours are actually compulsory for BAS crew (standard issued bright red jackets). I'm not sure about Kenn Borek pilots. But in general, it's sort of a non-written common sense rule. Those neck ties will have to go. Fortunately, they're just textures and can be painted over.

A third full blown Arctic/Antarctic gear would be fantastic. But I can understand why they wouldn't want to spend time on something that is basically going to be used in less than a handful of liveries (i.e. BAS, Kenn Borek and a couple of military liveries). At least it won't be as weird looking as the current one. It's like a silk robe!!

Thanks for the input Kavehpd!

There exist even female twotter pilots and they use ties!

Even south america uses ties!

When it comes to the clothes of the crew, currently our mid european variants stood model. As told a second variant for tropical climate is under decission to be added. Doing a third true polar climate variant is under discussion but unsure.

keith have you had a chance to fly the twin otter 400?

No sir i have not had the chance to fly the 400 series. There is talks about the MNR of leasing the 400 from Viking. But that is in the Air sort of speak! if the 400 you are talking about is with the glass cockpit i sure would love to give it a shot. But we shall see what happens

Regards, Keith

Hey Keith, that's pretty neat. I did some contract flying for the MNR way back in the 80's out of White River (I was assigned FHR, coincidentally, which if you have the Aerosoft Beaver package, you'll understand the significance of that :) ) and Webwood (Agnew Lake Air Services - think that one is gone now). The Chief Pilot from the first place I worked out of (Jellicoe) went on to the MNR after his stint there. He's the guy that first got me onto Beavers after my time on 180's & 185's. Very nice fellow and he deserved the promotion for sure. Good to hear the MNR is still flying the Twin Otters around. Do they have any stock Beavers left or have they gone solely to the turbo Beaver now?

Anyway, just had to say hi when I saw your post. Good luck with the beta testing and the RW job :excellenttext_s:

Glenn

Hey Glenn. We do have just 4 stock beavers on the ramp that we use for the bird dog flights. I first started out on the beaver when i got hired on. Then i got my turbine rating, So it is only once in little while i get out on the beaver.

oh just to add i am based out of Ottawa and Kirkland Lake fire base's

Regards, Keith

yes it is the glass cockpit i am talking about .the only thing that i dont under stand is why they did not weight for the pt6a 140a engins to come to market that would make the twin otter over 1700 shp continuous 867 ehp per engine i know that would cost alot more money but with those engins it would be a kick butt float plane even better then the one you fly. it would take off in a real short 850 feet at gross weight of 12500 and land in 725 feet at max landing weight. are the twin otters you fly stpck 200s and 300s Keith?

Archived