Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

Aerosoft Team

• Aerosoft

If I may clarify, my post is in response to any general need of a GPS, not any particular model. I even said I am personally happy with what it appears I will be receiving as a product. I did not mean to upset anyone by mentioning the dirty three letter acronym... It seems that point was lost on Mathijs in his response, and I am sorry it was interpreted that way. I still stand by the general idea of my post here though, that just because some don't use a GPS that it means no one should get one whether it be default or otherwise is not justified. I feel I was misunderstood and wish to set that straight.

My bad, it was most certainly not aimed at you, IGrant.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bad, it was most certainly not aimed at you, IGrant.

No worries, Mathijs. I just know that it is easy to be misunderstood through text-only communication and I feel badly when I do not word things clearly enough on my behalf. I have much respect for Aerosoft and I hate to think I'd say anything that would land me anywhere other than well regarded with you and the company.

• Aerosoft

While doing a short test for Finn I managed to blow up the left engine so I was forced to test the one engine performance. With 50% fuel and 50% cargo/pax I was able to maintain 110 knots, near perfect behavior. Landing was easy, just stay high and throttle back to land at idle.

post-43-0-11531700-1365442044_thumb.jpg

• Deputy Sheriffs

While doing a short test for Finn I managed to blow up the left engine so I was forced to test the one engine performance. With 50% fuel and 50% cargo/pax I was able to maintain 110 knots, near perfect behavior. Landing was easy, just stay high and throttle back to land at idle.

LOL, almost the same happened to me last Saturday. I departed from Jackson Hole for a Yellowstone sightseeing test-tour and above Jackson Lake suddenly the alarm bells went off when both engines caught fire at the same time. Time to test the fire system and luckily it worked very well. I was looking frantically for a flat spot (with no mountains, no trees, no water) but could not find anything suitable. Although the Twotter was soaring nicely I was loosing altitude quickly so there was no other option than to land on US 89, alongside the lake. Luckily there was hardly any traffic at that moment so the landing ended well. But the Sheriff gave me a really hard time at the station!

Also, Finn had to pick up the poor D-IVER from the road-side and is very cross with me now...

Is it only an impression or everyone is Bêta testers here ?

This plane looks truly impressive ! Would love to see in-sim shots in X-Plane 10, as it's meant to be released on this platform as well

You're right, quite a few people who do Beta testing are active in this thread. I just notice it as you're saying it :D
But in my point of view it is quite good that there are some peole who test this plane in here as they can answer the customers questions quicker than the Aerosoft staff can do :)

BTW, since when is this for X-Plane too? I can only see it tagged with "Preview FSX", nothing else, or have I missed some information?

Pretty sure this will be a Prepar3D / FSX / X-plane10 release

BTW, since when is this for X-Plane too? I can only see it tagged with "Preview FSX", nothing else, or have I missed some information?

See above :glare_s:

The more the better the product will be upon release! And: The more the faster! :glare_s:

This plane looks truly impressive ! Would love to see in-sim shots in X-Plane 10, as it's meant to be released on this platform as well

No we'll need to close the FSX version before starting on the XP version.

I believe that the FSX version is being made first with the XP10 version coming after.

The more the better the product will be upon release! And: The more the faster! :glare_s:

What kind of logic is that ?

Finn

Yeah, what does this mean ? Beta testers must be or highly skilled real world pilots, mechanics, engineers or advanced programmers, 3D designers etc etc... Not the first enthusiast coming down the street ;-)

Ok thanks for the info, will be really happy when I'll see something in X-Plane. Also, will you still include the HC-B3TN-3D Hartzell ( 3-Bladed ) version ? Just curious.

Cheers,

Valentin

• Aerosoft

Some good news...

Normally we only do update prices when part of the 'old' product is used in the new version and there is not a single bit of the Twin Otter X project used in the Twin Otter Extended. But for marketing reasons we decided that all owners of the Twin Otter X (boxed or download) will get a 20% on the download version. For many thousand of customers that means a nice reduction in price.

The price for the download is set at 24 Euro btw (plus VAT when applicable). The boxed version might be a few cents more. Just as with the Airbus X Extended we really like to keep prices moderate, even for a top of the line product like this one.

Some good news...

Normally we only do update prices when part of the 'old' product is used in the new version and there is not a single bit of the Twin Otter X project used in the Twin Otter Extended. But for marketing reasons we decided that all owners of the Twin Otter X (boxed or download) will get a 20% on the download version. For many thousand of customers that means a nice reduction in price.

The price for the download is set at 24 Euro btw (plus VAT when applicable). The boxed version might be a few cents more. Just as with the Airbus X Extended we really like to keep prices moderate, even for a top of the line product like this one.

That sounds very good to me. I do not own the old Twin Otter, only the light version with Antarctica X. but the prize you mentioned sounds more than fair to me if the new Twin is only half that good as i think :)

What exactly is ''extended'' in this version? I don't see the big difference...

Yow, is this dude for real? I think we'll all pretend this post doesn't exist on this forum. Dude, do you have the present Twin Otter? Have you been following this topic from page 1? Have you not read about the level of realism when it comes to system integration into the Extended. Can you not even SEE the visual difference in the models? If you're going to post ignorant comments like this and insult the intelligence of the developers, beta testers, members and general enthusiasts who can SEE what you can't, do yourself a favor. Go examine pictures of the current model and the Extended pictures on here with a TELESCOPE! If you still can't see a difference then.....yeah, it really IS just you! Get rid if your account and quit posting. I just hate it when people who are clearly ignorant of excellence choose to exude the fact that theyare intellectually circumcised. Mathis, Finn, Stefan, Joshua, Eric and all you guys, pay this dude no mind. Keep up the excellent work. We "intelligent" simmers and Twotter fans are patiently waiting and silently congratulating.

Is there an email "watch" list I can be put onto? I'd like to know as soon as this is released so I can make the purchase. I have a lot of fun flying the original Aerosoft Twin Otter, and I'm really looking forward to the Extended version's release.

@Rasha01: Everything is different except the general type of aircraft being modeled. The "Extended" version is a completely new build-up. Call it a 2013 model year versus the '06 <?> model of the original. Graphically it will be a quantum leap ahead of the current model and the FM/FDE promises to be quite a bit more extensively detailed than the original. See what Mathijs wrote above? "...there is not a single bit of the Twin Otter X project used in the Twin Otter Extended."

Is there an email "watch" list I can be put onto? I'd like to know as soon as this is released so I can make the purchase. I have a lot of fun flying the original Aerosoft Twin Otter, and I'm really looking forward to the Extended version's release.

@Rasha01: Everything is different except the general type of aircraft being modeled. The "Extended" version is a completely new build-up. Call it a 2013 model year versus the '06 <?> model of the original. Graphically it will be a quantum leap ahead of the current model and the FM/FDE promises to be quite a bit more extensively detailed than the original. See what Mathijs wrote above? "...there is not a single bit of the Twin Otter X project used in the Twin Otter Extended."

Either subscribe to the thread or the new releaes and updates forum. Or at the aerosoft store subscribe to the news letter, Im pretty sure it will be announced there when released.

What kind of logic is that ?

Finn

Hi Finn,

The experience shows that is very difficult to develop perfect software products! There are almost always smaller or bigger issues when software is released. My thoughts were: The more different beta testers are testing the plane, the installer, the handling of tools and the manual the higher is the chance to discover and fix certain issues before release. More testers have different approaches to do certain things and different hardware and different setups which also increase the chance to find issues before release. So I meant that the more beta testers are testing the higher is the chance that the final product will be close to perfect and easy to handle and good to understand than if fewer testers would look over it.

Same is for the second part: The more testers the faster are certain milestones achieved. I assume that you have a certain schedule to go through and benchmark to reach before you consider the product ready for release and I think that more testers can reach these milestones faster than fewer testers. Correct?

Btw: Do you have some not so experienced beta testers that represent the customers not so experienced with FSX, engine technology and handling of aircraft in general and Twin Otter in particular?

Anyway, let the team do its work and we customers will see what comes out of it. I don’t want to go too far off topic.

Best regards,

Till

Btw: Do you have some not so experienced beta testers that represent the customers not so experienced with FSX, engine technology and handling of aircraft in general and Twin Otter in particular?

At least regarding the Twin Otter as an airliner and the operating techniquest I have no idea of this airplane so I guess yes.

On the first few start attempts I have burned my engines down because I didn't think of the prop levers which need to be put into the feather setting before start.

Actually I'm kinda sure if this won't be one of the biggest headlines in the manual (well, but even then some people don't even read it) quite some "bugreports" will come by unexperienced users.

At least regarding the Twin Otter as an airliner and the operating techniquest I have no idea of this airplane so I guess yes.

On the first few start attempts I have burned my engines down because I didn't think of the prop levers which need to be put into the feather setting before start.

Actually I'm kinda sure if this won't be one of the biggest headlines in the manual (well, but even then some people don't even read it) quite some "bugreports" will come by unexperienced users.

:excellenttext_s:

I am glad to hear that! Have fun with testing this great bird!

Looking forward to the final product!

Best, Till

P.S. There are some users reading the manual (at least one) :banghead1_s:

Archived