Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

Aerosoft Team

Although a Work In Progress, she is already so beautiful, I couldn't resist showing you this.

I hope Mathijs approves.

SitkaVFR5.JPG

Jeez, bro. Talk about torture.... I assume the exterior model is just about done now, hey Eric? Have Stefan and the other guys started the other models yet? I know the initial progress shots were of the -100. Maybe you can talk them into some teaser shots of the other models? I am enjoying this unholy torture. Lol.

Cheers.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....It does...

But The master "internal FSX" avionics switchs will automatically be switched on if it´s off, also if You come from the default Cessna that has been put into a cold & dark situation...

Just note that using custom made startup sitiations with cold & dark situatins will not be supported !!!

Thats no difference from other developers.

Finn

Makes perfect sense. I figured you guys would have come up with a work around such as this, I was just curious as to what it might be. Will there be a cold and dark option like the Catalina? Last question for a while!

• Deputy Sheriffs

I assume the exterior model is just about done now, hey Eric? Have Stefan and the other guys started the other models yet? I know the initial progress shots were of the -100. Maybe you can talk them into some teaser shots of the other models?

I did not see anything about other models yet, I am just a simple tester. These questions are for Mathijs and Finn to answer (if they want)... ;)

Jeez, bro. Talk about torture.... I assume the exterior model is just about done now, hey Eric? Have Stefan and the other guys started the other models yet? I know the initial progress shots were of the -100. Maybe you can talk them into some teaser shots of the other models? I am enjoying this unholy torture. Lol.

Cheers.

There has not been any preview shots of the -100.

So far we have only worked on the D-IVER , cause that will form the base for the rest of the models, so there is still alot to be done.

Finn

Makes perfect sense. I figured you guys would have come up with a work around such as this, I was just curious as to what it might be. Will there be a cold and dark option like the Catalina? Last question for a while!

The Twin Otter will come with an interactive checklist. Part of this cehcklist is a configuration page where You select Cold & Dark or Ready to fly as well as enabling/disabling failures and icing and install startlocks on float equipped versions.

This means that You can open a checklist and set checkmarks for each checklist item. If the switch or control in question is not set correctly, then the checkmark is replaced with a cross and You cannot continue before having set it correctly. You can alos rightclick on the checklist item and the action will be done for You. Actually You can walk Your way from Cold & Dark via Prestart, Engine start, etc, etc until shutdown controlling every action with the checklist.

The checklist can be made semitransparent inorder not to be too intrusive on the screen.

Finn

So far we have only worked on the D-IVER , cause that will form the base for the rest of the models, so there is still alot to be done.

Finn

Apologies, Finn. It's just that on page 3 at the beginning of this forum topic, Mathijs posted some initial shots of the project as it had begun. Could've sworn that was a -100 model being built there. Apologies again. You guys are doing wonders on this project. Keep it up. Me likey!

Cheers.

The Twin Otter will come with an interactive checklist. Part of this cehcklist is a configuration page where You select Cold & Dark or Ready to fly as well as enabling/disabling failures and icing and install startlocks on float equipped versions.

This means that You can open a checklist and set checkmarks for each checklist item. If the switch or control in question is not set correctly, then the checkmark is replaced with a cross and You cannot continue before having set it correctly. You can alos rightclick on the checklist item and the action will be done for You. Actually You can walk Your way from Cold & Dark via Prestart, Engine start, etc, etc until shutdown controlling every action with the checklist.

The checklist can be made semitransparent inorder not to be too intrusive on the screen.

Finn

Everything I was hoping for and more! Thanks Finn.

Any chance you guys will release D-IVER first with the other models as follow ups? Similar to what you did with the Bronco?

Finn

Just a small detail that I would like to share as it amazes me. As you know the DHC-6 is steered by the tiller on the captains side (as you can see in the picture below). In the Twin Otter Extended this tiller will actually move as you turn the aircraft to the left or right on the runway.

This level of detail (which is only one of the many animations) shows the passion and accuracy the developers are putting into their work.

otter07.jpg

I don´t think so...

The "FlightSafety" maintenance and training handbook has the strobe light and Anti collition light switches arranged similar to ours. But while the radio master switch is mentioned in various checklists, the D_IVER doesn´t seem to have one, so I guess that the individual radios has to be turned on/off on their own respective powoer switch/knob, or this is the reason why the generators are set to be turned on after engine start.

Finn

So you're using FlightSafety training content to model the aircraft? Are they "blessing" the project? Are they involved in this process (e.g. provide support, or instructor feedback)? Did they provide all the training material, and will aircraft behavior match?

I would imagine the generators come on after start since on this aircraft (like similarly engined King Airs), the starter is also the generator and you can't have both. This is the reason the King Air actually has a safety spring loaded switch that needs to be held up a few seconds before the generator will engage (e.g. off-on-spring).

The lack of RXP integration is a big disappointment. Given that it is the only real GPS available in the community, WAAS approaches, not mention an up to date real-world view will be lacking. I'm hoping the GPS bezel will at least allow some capturing of inputs (sim-events etc.) so it could be retrofitted with a Lua.

So you're using FlightSafety training content to model the aircraft? Are they "blessing" the project? Are they involved in this process (e.g. provide support, or instructor feedback)? Did they provide all the training material, and will aircraft behavior match?

Come on, this is a little bit off, right? Asking if Aircraft behaviour will match is a little harsh as it sounds like you'd think that they would intentionally do it wrong. Of cause it's done as close to the real world aircraft is it is possible within the simulator!

I would imagine the generators come on after start since on this aircraft (like similarly engined King Airs), the starter is also the generator and you can't have both. This is the reason the King Air actually has a safety spring loaded switch that needs to be held up a few seconds before the generator will engage (e.g. off-on-spring).

Wait, the starter is not the generator switch. The Twin Otter has two seperate generator switches on the after overhead panel which need to be turned on seperatly after the starter disengages. The starters themselves are located on the forward captain's overhead panel!

The lack of RXP integration is a big disappointment. Given that it is the only real GPS available in the community, WAAS approaches, not mention an up to date real-world view will be lacking. I'm hoping the GPS bezel will at least allow some capturing of inputs (sim-events etc.) so it could be retrofitted with a Lua.

Please let's not start this discussion again. The fault is RXP not answering, so Aerosoft can't do anything as they won't be able to provide support for the GPS.

Why should FlightSafety "Bless" our project ?

We bought a copy of their maintenance and training manual, but no content from it will be presented in the Twin Otter X manuals for legal reasons.

For prove of reality, we got serveral real life Twin Otter pilots and people with deep insight into it´s systems.

What You will get is a virtual representation of the DHC-6 Twin Otter in various versions.

The flight model will be state of the art, so will the modelling and texturing, at least to the degree that FSX allows.

Systems are carfeully replications of the real systems, including electrical, hydraulical, autopilot, de-icing etc..

Most flightinstruments are modelled and animated beyond what FSX normally will do.

Last not least engine(s) simulation is a far cry from the default FSX turboprop modelling, including increase of torque when propblade angle is set coarser, inclusion of Startlocks for float equipped versions (optional via config menu).

On top of this comes quite accurate depiction of max allowable continuosly torque with engine failure due to overheat or excessive overtorque, hotstarts and flameout due to ice ingestion, as well as impact on flightperformance when structural ice-buildup occurs.

We don´t say that everything is 100% accurate, cause nothing in FSX will ever be, but at least it´s a major step from the default turboprops and many other addon turboprops.

As far as the RXP goes - like EMI said, it has been announced a few times now and will not be discussed further.

If someone manage to put it in and get it to work - fine, otherwise we won´t give any support for such actions. The reason has been told also quite a few times.

Finn

Wait, the starter is not the generator switch. The Twin Otter has two seperate generator switches on the after overhead panel which need to be turned on seperatly after the starter disengages. The starters themselves are located on the forward captain's overhead panel!

HI Emi,

I don't think John is on about the switches as such. On the Twin Otter the Generator/Starter is the same component on the engine (as in you put electricity in it turns as a starter/you let the engine spin it it generates electricity). The fact the Twotter has separate switches doesn't change this. It's a very common arrangement on small turbine engines as is saves weight.

Why should FlightSafety "Bless" our project ?

We bought a copy of their maintenance and training manual, but no content from it will be presented in the Twin Otter X manuals for legal reasons.

For prove of reality, we got serveral real life Twin Otter pilots and people with deep insight into it´s systems.

What You will get is a virtual representation of the DHC-6 Twin Otter in various versions.

The flight model will be state of the art, so will the modelling and texturing, at least to the degree that FSX allows.

Systems are carfeully replications of the real systems, including electrical, hydraulical, autopilot, de-icing etc..

Most flightinstruments are modelled and animated beyond what FSX normally will do.

Last not least engine(s) simulation is a far cry from the default FSX turboprop modelling, including increase of torque when propblade angle is set coarser, inclusion of Startlocks for float equipped versions (optional via config menu).

On top of this comes quite accurate depiction of max allowable continuosly torque with engine failure due to overheat or excessive overtorque, hotstarts and flameout due to ice ingestion, as well as impact on flightperformance when structural ice-buildup occurs.

We don´t say that everything is 100% accurate, cause nothing in FSX will ever be, but at least it´s a major step from the default turboprops and many other addon turboprops.

As far as the RXP goes - like EMI said, it has been announced a few times now and will not be discussed further.

If someone manage to put it in and get it to work - fine, otherwise we won´t give any support for such actions. The reason has been told also quite a few times.

Finn

Thanks... seems somewhat counterintuitive spending all this effort modeling things, yet the trivial integration of RXP (which would include yet more realism) is left out. Oh well.

HI Emi,

I don't think John is on about the switches as such. On the Twin Otter the Generator/Starter is the same component on the engine (as in you put electricity in it turns as a starter/you let the engine spin it it generates electricity). The fact the Twotter has separate switches doesn't change this. It's a very common arrangement on small turbine engines as is saves weight.

I never said it was the same switch. I said they are the same. Like the King Air you have a switch for the starter, but to to engage the generator you need to do a spring loaded safety on that separate switch. Trying have both will damage it.

Looking good, still waiting, I dont use GPS. I like to know where i am going not being told where I should be, guess im getting old. Got a few aussie repaints on my mind. Cant wait. we need more decent turboprops.

Look great Aerosoft, but no RXP intergration is going to cause me to pass.

Happy You like it, but we don´t need this forum to be filled by people stating that they have no interest due to the missing RXP integration, the reason has been told more than once.

RXP case closed !

Finn

Hi to all impatient future Twotter pilots !

What a promised piece of art!

All this discussion about the RXP GPS is somehow weird.

What are we discussing about?

A plane able to land at Saint Barth, Saba or Lukla, A plane dedicated to bush flying, or mountain flying. Flying by the needles. I do agree with mjrhealth am point.

When I take off from Geneva to land at Courchevel, I am looking for lakes or valleys, peaks and slopes. I am doing it with the Air Alpes version with the old radioset, without any GPS, and I do land at Courchevel.

Maybe that's a miracle !

Hi to all impatient future Twotter pilots !

What a promised piece of art!

All this discussion about the RXP GPS is somehow weird.

What are we discussing about?

A plane able to land at Saint Barth, Saba or Lukla, A plane dedicated to bush flying, or mountain flying. Flying by the needles. I do agree with mjrhealth am point.

When I take off from Geneva to land at Courchevel, I am looking for lakes or valleys, peaks and slopes. I am doing it with the Air Alpes version with the old radioset, without any GPS, and I do land at Courchevel.

Maybe that's a miracle !

I understand your point, but that is not the only way to fly. My stance on RXP integration has been made clear previously in this forum to which point I've got my ways to make it work regardless and am happy (pop up and use LinkGPS=1 in the cfg if nothing else). But to say a GPS is not needed is like saying the float version is not needed. Just because not everyone uses it or wants it doesn't mean its fair to exclude all the people that will. If my FSE flight depends on me making a GPS approach into a destination because that's all that is available, then I say a GPS is needed. To all those that think otherwise, don't use it if you don't want to... but just because you feel it isn't necessary doesn't make it true for the hundreds of others that will be flying the Twin Otter Extended as well.

• Aerosoft

I understand your point, but that is not the only way to fly. My stance on RXP integration has been made clear previously in this forum to which point I've got my ways to make it work regardless and am happy (pop up and use LinkGPS=1 in the cfg if nothing else). But to say a GPS is not needed is like saying the float version is not needed. Just because not everyone uses it or wants it doesn't mean its fair to exclude all the people that will. If my FSE flight depends on me making a GPS approach into a destination because that's all that is available, then I say a GPS is needed. To all those that think otherwise, don't use it if you don't want to... but just because you feel it isn't necessary doesn't make it true for the hundreds of others that will be flying the Twin Otter Extended as well.

This part of the topic is now really closed and I will remove any posts that re-open it because it makes us look bad even though we really tried and we are simply not the ones to blame on this.

We explained many times that we really wanted to include it but that the developers were not replying to our emails. To do it without them would be below the standard we had in mind for this project.

Closed....

This part of the topic is now really closed and I will remove any posts that re-open it because it makes us look bad even though we really tried and we are simply not the ones to blame on this.

We explained many times that we really wanted to include it but that the developers were not replying to our emails. To do it without them would be below the standard we had in mind for this project.

Closed....

If I may clarify, my post is in response to any general need of a GPS, not any particular model. I even said I am personally happy with what it appears I will be receiving as a product. I did not mean to upset anyone by mentioning the dirty three letter acronym... It seems that point was lost on Mathijs in his response, and I am sorry it was interpreted that way. I still stand by the general idea of my post here though, that just because some don't use a GPS that it means no one should get one whether it be default or otherwise is not justified. I feel I was misunderstood and wish to set that straight.

Archived