Twin Otter Extended Preview (FSX,P3D)

• Aerosoft

I just realized that we forgot to mention we got a great partner in this project, André K. Aepfelbach. He knows the Twin Otter really well and is a superb source of information for us. He runs a great website about his Twinotter homecockpit. You really should check that out at www.twinotter.de

dhc6cockpit_11.jpg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what would be the sales pitch? I mean, for what I see it isn't going to have a Vista Liner version, nor a -400 model, the panel would still be analog? what would be THE set of features that would make any current Twotter X owner say "I need this one too" ?

Hmmnn, I've seen a few requests here for the models you have mentioned. I think Finn answered your question very well, but let me respectfully add the following. The Vista-Liner and -400's are extremely rare birds. I'm not sure how many of each are actually out there, but I know in 40 plus years in Aviation I've seen neither. Obviously I've not seen every airplane out there, but I've worked professionally in aviation for that period (with a couple of breaks) and in places where one would see a lot of Twin Otters, Beavers and other bush machines as well as a number of their more "sedate" counterparts (i.e. the Viking Beaver, Twin Otters used for exec transport and airliner missions, etc.). It stands to reason that producing the variants you describe would appeal to an extremely limited market then. Yes, if you live near the Grand Canyon and want to replicate a flight by Scenic Airlines, then yes, you are limited. However, in Googling the Vista Liner, I came up with very, very few results (well, a number of results but only from about 3 airlines in total). That's a pretty small market place.

The Viking Twin Otter was really a hot idea for a while, which seems to have cooled off again. It will likely become more prominent later on as the 100 and 300 series age more, but that's still a ways away. Like the Beaver, these airplanes keep "going and going and going". Unlike the Beaver, they already are turbine equipped, which is a huge bonus in very cold climates, so the conversion to the 400 is more for flying in "civilization" than it is in the boonies, and it's primarily the boonies that the Twin Otter was designed for in the first place. So at this point at least, the 400 is also a highly limited market place, as well as being a whole new project as Finn mentioned.

As a company, it makes sense for Aerosoft to appeal to the widest audience/market place possible. If they only did the Vista Liner and/or 400, I (and none of my bush flying virtual colleagues) would be in the market for it as neither would be particularly suitable for taking off from a paved runway and landing next on a gravel bar at the mouth of a river in British Columbia, or on a dirt strip high in the Himalayas for example. These are far more common/typical missions for a Twin Otter than sightseeing flights and IFR short range flights from city centre to city centre under the watchful eye of ATC. Of course the latter do happen (otherwise there wouldn't be a Vista Liner or -400), but they are nowhere near as common as serious STOL operations that you see the -100 or -300 doing on a regular basis.

As I say, I think Finn answered your question best of all, and I think also Aerosoft is taking the right approach in appealing to the masses here. As for why I will buy the Twin Otter again (and at full price) - again I refer to you Finn's answer.

Now, I don't particularly care to see the -400 for FSX as the glass panels would complicate the development without adding much value, but I feel like defending the -400 a bit anyway. The way I understand it there has been no "cooling off" as Viking has an estimated order backlog of $350M, with one aircraft delivered each month. It has sold well to places like Papua New Guinea, Tahiti, Nigeria, Chile and Peru, all places that can provide true bush flying. Take the already awesome capabilities of the -300, add lighter materials, upgraded engines, simplified electrics and electronics (a reduction from something like 30 avionics providers down to 3.) and optional de-icing. I'm sure it will do well in the North too when the current ones hit their limits. ;)

And that invites a lot of emails from customers who think they found bugs.....

Maybe, but it is still a feature I would like. Worked like a charm on the Aeroworx King Air 200.

I'd like to see a better load manager that also handles fuel, and panel state (Ex. Start cold and dark). I'm new to the Twin Otter. I just recently purchased it. I'd also like to be able to pull up the B KLN- 90B by itself instead of being part of the radio stack.

Thanks,

Ernie

Proud owner of:

Mega Airport Heathrow, Vienna, Paris LFG, Frankfurt, Boston

VFR London X, My Traffic X, AES, London Underground, Airbus X, Twin Otter

PMDG 747, MD-11, Jetstream (Boxed editions published by Aerosoft)

For some time ago I also wanted all switches switchable, but like Mathijs says, it really only causes people to send support tickets.

Also note that any additional animation will have a negative impact on FPS.

I have come to the conclusion that it´s much easier for the enduser to findout what actually works and what not, if only those switches and controls that makes meaning within FSX are animated. The only exception are switches that are important for the correct operational procedures.

For the Twin Otter we will take the same approach like we did on the Bronco, everything that can be made operational and actually makes sense in FSX will be operational.

We haven´t quite decided what kind of GPS that we be fitted.

It´s no promise, but adding the option to put the RXP 430 into then panel is under consideration.

The goal for us is to make the Twin Otter extended accesible for all kind of flightsimmers. This means that it can be made ultra realistic, but with options to turn off stuff like engine failures and wear.

All systems will be simulated as close to the real thing as possible, but that doeanst mean that it will be any harder to operate than most default FSX aircrafts.

What You will see as this project progresses, is a Twin Otter with very high quality textures and modelling . You will also be able to operate it like the real thing. At the same time it´s extreme important for us that FPS is kept as high as possible.

I think that the Bronco X has proven that all this can be accomplished and we are sure that the Twin Otter can be done very much to the same high standards and maybe even better.

Finn

We haven´t quite decided what kind of GPS that we be fitted.

It´s no promise, but adding the option to put the RXP 430 into then panel is under consideration.

and perhaps the RXP 530 with its larger screen?

• Aerosoft

Any chance the new Twin Otter will be Capable of shared cockpit?

Good chance of that yes. We (or rather Finn) learned a lot about that with the Bronco.

Attached the last images, modeling of the 300 model is completed. Texturing starts today!

post-43-0-82521600-1332831218_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-19752800-1332831234_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-14562100-1332831245_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-99517500-1332831259_thumb.jpg

• Deputy Sheriffs

Very nice Mathijs,

a big praise to your team!

I can not wait to paint this bird ...

A question from me - will the mapping be adjusted so that the left rear (if I recall correctly) fuselage is mapped "right way up" for the bump mapping?

Archived