Huey X Sound

mstreibig

Hello,

I've had the Huey X since November (don't see a revision number). The sound features have never worked correctly.

The AS_Huey_sound folder is dead. The wav's for switches, warning horns and miscellaneous effects contained therein are just silence in the sim.

Although bell205_start_in.wav is 59s long, it crossfades to bell205_flight_in.wav after 1-5s so that startup sounds too are mostly never heard.

I am running on XP sp3, all sound volumes set to maximum, FSX sp2 sounds at maximum, starting Cold & Dark.

I see only one other complaint of this on the forum, so I'm assuming this is some configuration issue. Thank you for any suggestions.

Hello,

I've had the Huey X since November (don't see a revision number). The sound features have never worked correctly.

The AS_Huey_sound folder is dead. The wav's for switches, warning horns and miscellaneous effects contained therein are just silence in the sim.

Although bell205_start_in.wav is 59s long, it crossfades to bell205_flight_in.wav after 1-5s so that startup sounds too are mostly never heard.

I am running on XP sp3, all sound volumes set to maximum, FSX sp2 sounds at maximum, starting Cold & Dark.

I see only one other complaint of this on the forum, so I'm assuming this is some configuration issue. Thank you for any suggestions.

Have you installed the latest sound drivers for your computer and also installed the latest DirectX 9c Runtimes, might be something to try.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Also, check that your sound settings in the sim are not generic, but pointing to your real audio device. In my experiece, sometimes accepting the default choice causes problems due to odd conflicts, especially if you have a mobo driver installed, but use a different device.

Go to Settings/Sound in the sim, then use the two drop down choices in the "Windows sound devices" to select the actual driver, not "<Default Primary Device>."

Hope this helps.

Sounds (sorry!) like an ASC.dll issue to me.

Delete the reference to the Hueys ASC.dll entry in FSX .cfg `Trusted` list, then restart the sim and load the Huey X

If you are NOT prompted to authorise the ASC.dll then that's the problem.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Sounds (sorry!) like an ASC.dll issue to me.

Delete the reference to the Hueys ASC.dll entry in FSX .cfg `Trusted` list, then restart the sim and load the Huey X

If you are NOT prompted to authorise the ASC.dll then that's the problem.

Good one, Snave, even if it doesn't solve the OP's issue. Good to know.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

My Diamond sound card (not the mobo) is using C-Media PCI Audio. This has functioned acceptably for FSX and all other audio needs for years without issue. The FSX standard event' wav's play normally in the Huey X (excepting the starturp sequencing, above); but I'll hunt down new drivers just the same.

Snave, I commented out the ACS.dll entry; which does generate the authorization dialog as FSX loads.

Great aircraft otherwise; but I think I'm only seeing parts of what it offers.

OK, so if the module is working then you need to look at the number of voices in the sound card and the channelling:

Open sound card options and ensure any selection relating to number of voices is set to `max` (the card may not have this option).

Next, check Windows is set to stereo speakers (it doesn't matter if you have a multi-speaker setup at this point).

Next load FSX to the menu settings and double-check the sound sources are BOTH set to default sound source (or the actual card if selectable in the list just as Herman suggested).

Now load FSX, select the Huey X and try a couple of switches.

Does that fix it?

THAT suggestion sounded great, especially after finding that FSX sound settings were at default; but after that was fixed there was no change in the problem. 'Voices' are set by source (C-Media PCI Audio) but not number. I have 2.1 speakers so I use the stereo setting, but also tried 5.1 just to get more channels. No change. I let FSX build a new .cfg file, accepting only ASC and HueyFCA dll's to isolate out any others. Still no change. FSX was restarted between each of these changes. Rats, I have the special-edition stealth Huey!

If the Huey X indeed uses some additional, otherwise-unused channel on the card, is there any other way I can test for it?

THAT suggestion sounded great, especially after finding that FSX sound settings were at default; but after that was fixed there was no change in the problem. 'Voices' are set by source (C-Media PCI Audio) but not number. I have 2.1 speakers so I use the stereo setting, but also tried 5.1 just to get more channels. No change. I let FSX build a new .cfg file, accepting only ASC and HueyFCA dll's to isolate out any others. Still no change. FSX was restarted between each of these changes. Rats, I have the special-edition stealth Huey!

If the Huey X indeed uses some additional, otherwise-unused channel on the card, is there any other way I can test for it?

Can you try disabling your sound card and use the Motherboard sound chip to test the sounds.

Yes, in the sim VC pan view so you are looking nearly sideways, then click a switch that you know operates with the keyboard. Changing the view angle invokes the sound cones and changes the relationship with relative speaker direction.

Also sound channels defined as 2.1, 5.1 and what have you have nothing whatsoever to do with the channels, they are purely `shorthand` definitions to match to the speaker layout - 2.1 implies two speakers and a subwoofer - or three speakers. If you don't have three speakers then 2.0 is the only usable setting.

But this is beginning to suggest that the sound card might not be up to the job, so do also try Shauns suggestion...

Hi guys,

I set up my nVidia XFX 780i motherboard for onboard audio, loaded the default Realtek drivers and confirmed the setup in Windows, then did the same in FSX. All default sounds are still normal, all AS_Huey_sounds still silent. Same result in testing the sound cones in the VC: no module sounds. I use EZdok so I moved in and out of the VC and the outside model, facing in various directions; cones are very subtle but seem to work, although there are only normal event sounds. I notice bell205_tail_out.wav isn't audible either, even when right next to the tail rotor in outside view.

Probably irrelevant, but just an FYI: The rotor RPM centers in the green but the needles never split, so the motor RPM remains in the Caution zone at about 6350. Following the startup checklist for presetting the governor, and then leaning on Increase for several minutes after opening the throttle, has no effect. In fact I can't get the governor to change RPM in either direction.

You point out in your original post that you have the sound max'd out in FSX. Have you tried reducing it a touch to see if that helps! May not but, worth the attempt.

Thanks for the suggestion, but setting all sound sliders to lesser values was ineffective. I had them all maxed as this was recommended in the Huey manual.

These sound issues have never manifested on my system in or out of FSX, or in any of the 125 fixed-wing or 18 rotary aircaft, payware or freeware, I've collected over years. This is absolutely unique to the Huey X. Am I really the only user who has encountered this?

There's not much in the Aerosoft_Bell UH1D folder regarding ASC sounds. The AS_Huey_sounds folder simply contains the related wav files. I'm not a developer, but the likelihood of any sort of global Windows problem, FSX problem, or Huey X install corruption causing special sound-triggering events coded into the model to fail completely while standard sound and all else functions normally, seems nil. This all brings us back to the ASC.dll which we've already confirmed is recognised and (supposedly) loaded. Panel.cfg places it as a guage but I've also tried putting a copy in the Modules folder, and even making a manual entry to the dll.xml. The additional sounds just will not work. It's an issue not just for this one product but for any current and future Aerosoft products I would consider, that include this feature.

Perusing the forum covering the last several years, this dll has some history. Like the model itself, a revision date is not apparent, but the Last Modified date is 2/7/11. Is there a newer version of the ASC.dll? Or maybe even an obsolete version I can try? I'm running out of ideas.

Thank you for your perseverance.

Visual C++ 2005 and 2008 installed, reboot. No effect.

Visual C++ 2010 installed, reboot. No effect.

Sill suspecting ACS.dll or some dependency.

What OS and where (path) did You install FSX ?

Installing into the default programmes folder on Vista and Win 7 is a bad idea, since regardless of how You run it, Vista & Win7 will have some UAC.

Try to run FSX as Admin.

Finn

OS is WinXP sp3, 32-bit.

Installation is to the root of a dedicated FSX partition.

I have a single account, with admin privileges.

Repair of the existing installation using AS_HUEY-X_FSX_V110.exe - no effect.

Complete removal of the Huey X using AS_HUEY-X_FSX_V110.exe, then Add/Remove Programs, then manual deletion of all related folders, then reboot - reinstall / reactivation - no effect. AS_Huey_sound remains dead.