Engine goes idle

LainSE

Dear Sirs, i personally think it's myself who violates POH somehow, but i need a clue on where to look at.

Could somebody give me a clue on possible reasons why engine can suddenly goes idle?

Flight conditions: flight time nearly 1 hr with one landing at almost rough terrain (WA56 :) ), temperatures : -6..-10C, no icing conditions as per REX2 weather engine), inlet baffle installed. MP, oil temps, oil pres are in green arc.

Engine is not cutting out, it goes to idle with no further feedback to throttle.

P.S. After landing check was followed by change of oil filter and oil.

Changed both, took of - and had received the same within 5 mins...

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks!

Thanks, dear Snave!

That's why situation itself had been a total surprise for me as carb icing was on.

Even if it's carb icing, then, i think, there should be a drop or at lease sudden changes in MP before idling, shouldn't it?

Possibly, but you have introduced a new variable by REX weather.

Other causes could be fuel related (you don't mention fuel either and there may be water in the fuel which can lead to sudden onset carb ice), or a controller problem, but you don't specify OS, system or hardware so it's impossible to even guess.

Finally, inlet baffle should only be installed with ambient OAT at <-10°C, so possibly you have an engine which is excessively hot?

Ok, always follow procedures, thus:

- drained fuel before last take of - there where no water;

- OS is Win 7 64

- controller: i've got very simple Tm Afterburner II, thus i don't think ther shouldn't be a problem.

- CHT was at the top of green arc, but still in green.

BTW i really don't consider whats happened a bug. My question is more about understanding the process. My knowledge of MP mostly based on this nice article, i think:

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182081-1.html

Thus, say, it's carb icing, and wjatever you do with throttle you've got less air = less fuel in our case. We still have good mixture ratio, but less and less of it with ice growing.

I'd expect engin to cut off completelly after a certain period of MP deviations and possible RPM changes. But engine just went to idle as i've just backed throttle lever full back.

So, the question is, apart from specific case - should i ecpect MP changes if it's carb icing growing or not? Maybe the question itself is more about real thing than FSX Katana...

Thanks, clear...

Apart from one thing which now is a mess for me - i've got 1.03 version. Arelabels in english cockpits says right or wrong (Carb heat is on the left)

Labels are correct in your version. If you need to check, then use the key combo for carb heat (`H` if I recall correctly) and watch the knob move to properly identify you have the correct labelling.

Thanks, clear...

Apart from one thing which now is a mess for me - i've got 1.03 version. Arelabels in english cockpits says right or wrong (Carb heat is on the left)

Carb left is alright. The first version of the Katana had the Carb label right in English cockpit by mistake, but the carb is on the left.