ILS approaches in PMDG 737NG

nicholas49

Hello

I have a couple of questions about ILS approaches in the PMDG 737-800 aircraft. Have checked in the official manual but to no avail. I wonder if anyone can help?

1) In the standard FS2004 737, when I fly an ILS approach I normally descend through and capture the glideslope using the V/S function and a slightly slower rate of descent than the glideslope (+/- 700 fpm). This prevents the sudden pitch-down effect you get when you intercept the glideslope from a fixed altitude. This does not seem to be possible in the PMDG 737-800. Is that because on the real aircraft this is not possible? Should I intercept the glideslope from a fixed altitude rather than in a descent? Is that the correct way to do it?

2) When I do manage to intercept the ILS (both localiser and glideslope), I notice that the APP light goes out. Is that normal? I can see that G/S and LOC appear on the flight displays. Again, this is different from the standard 737 where the APP light remains on until you de-select it. Consequently, on final approach with auto-pilot engaged, I only have the IAS/SPEED light, auto-throttle, Flight Director and COMMAND 1 lights green. Is that normal?

Loving the aircraft/software. Just need some pointers to get started!

Nick

Hello Nick,

Bes to refer to any tutorial flights that PMDG may have for this aircraft, but I find that capturing the glideslope at around 180kts on a level altitude seems to be the way a lot of people do it.

As for comparing whats in the default 737 and the PMDG I would not worry as the default is as you can see not to the same standard as the PMDG.

2) When I do manage to intercept the ILS (both localiser and glideslope), I notice that the APP light goes out. Is that normal? I can see that G/S and LOC appear on the flight displays. Again, this is different from the standard 737 where the APP light remains on until you de-select it. Consequently, on final approach with auto-pilot engaged, I only have the IAS/SPEED light, auto-throttle, Flight Director and COMMAND 1 lights green. Is that normal?

This is standard Boeing Methodology. The lights on the MCP only indicate that a mode can be deselected not that it is active. The only indications of active FD or AP modes is the FMA (Flight mode annuciator) which is on the PFD.