Phase 2 - FINALLY concluded.... Winners announced inside.

Baaaad day to start a airrace.... Le Mans 24H is running until 3. pm tomorrow....... laugh.gif

I forgot about Le Mans - also Candian Gran Prix tomorrow too. Shows how little interest I have in motor sports :lol:

Now if we were talking Red Bull Air Races, god help he who tries to pull me away dry.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any chance of a modified landing score for KASE-KBTF?

I was knocked down to my worst landing score for the leg....

• Poor alignment with runway on visual approach - line up and stay there. [0%]
  • Landed without a proper approach OR off runway surface.

although I landed on the runway and stayed lined up pretty well for a visual approach. I think that the problem may be that FSFS was looking at a different runway heading to me

Dual offset runways

post-11334-0-62484500-1309087889.jpg

post-11334-0-24097400-1309087843.jpg

Cheers Dale

Is there any chance of a modified landing score for KASE-KBTF?

I was knocked down to my worst landing score for the leg....

• Poor alignment with runway on visual approach - line up and stay there. [0%]
  • Landed without a proper approach OR off runway surface.

although I landed on the runway and stayed lined up pretty well for a visual approach. I think that the problem may be that FSFS was looking at a different runway heading to me

Dual offset runways

post-11334-0-62484500-1309087889.jpg

post-11334-0-24097400-1309087843.jpg

Cheers Dale

If you are not using a fixed flightplan, so FSFS knows exactly where you are landing, then FSFS will look at what runway you are pointing towards, when descending below 500 feet. Soon as you go through 500 feet, Smith (or whomever you have with you) will say "we are landing at runway XX" Be sure to listen, and be sure that its the runway YOU are on your way to. If there are parallel runways, things might get spiffy.

And also - be sure that your Nav1 OBS setting is set to the right heading. I cannot for the life of me, remember at the moment, in which cases Smith autotunes the OBS, but that is in the manual, and I am not close to my FSX rig atm.

If you really want to, I think Matt will agree with me, to allow you to make one landing at the same runway, (slew your way op to a good alignment at about 3000 feet AGL) then engage FSFS and be sure to remember the above things. then land and submit the score. But the real fun of a challenge, is to foresee all incidents, and take eventualities with a shrug. laugh.gif Your choice! wink.gif

Hi Ole,

I always fly to a flight plan but maybe the information in FSC and FSFS and FSX did not all agree. Maybe I didn't refresh makeRwys.exe in all programs after installing scenery. Who knows my brain melts just thinking about it.

But the real fun of a challenge, is to foresee all incidents, and take eventualities with a shrug. Your choice!

If it was a due to weather etc I could say "that's life". But foreseeing duplicated but offset runways is not something that could reasonably be anticipated.

Anyway I'll stick with my score as it is the fun of taking part that motivates me and not having the highest scores (well, I would say that wouldn't I) although I will undertake the landing again as per your suggestion in the name of science to see if I can fathom what the issue was.

Dale Collins piloting Islander 04 ended 26 June 2011 at 14:52

FSFlyingSchool 2011 (June 17th 2011)

Using: FSX

Visibility: 34.80 Miles Wind: 5 Knots

Aircraft: BRITTENNORMAN ID: D-IOLA Airline: OLT Flight:

Flight plan: TO KBTF Bountiful:Skypark NAV1: IHIF

Failure(s): None at landing

Failure Event(s) (Zulu Time): None

Failure Bonus:0% Flight Duration:00 Hours 03 Mins 33 Secs

Landing Score:93.45

Landing was successful in the following areas:

• Good glideslope on visual approach. [50%]
  • Good alignment with runway on visual approach. [90%]
  • Gentle touchdown. [213 FPM]
  • Good landing speed - not too fast. [43 KIAS]
  • Wings were level.
  • Distance from runway threshold (visual approach): [466 feet]
  • Landed on runway surface.
  • Glideslope held until flare.
  • Good pitch control after touchdown.
  • Good pitch at landing.
  • With flaps - good job.
  • Heading aligned with runway.
  • Throttle(s) idle.
  • Good controlled final descent to touchdown.
  • Nicely handled crosswind.
    Landing included the following problems:
    • Poor steering after landing - stay on the centre line.

Definite room for improvement...

I re-ran makerwys in all programs other than that the approach was very similar and I cannot pin down the reason for why I got off runway last time and 0% visual approach.

But please do not amend my score as I think that this would be an unfair advantage to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been more or less grounded for the last couple of weeks due to theatre commitments (if you look at my Facebook page you'll see what I mean) so I am way behind on this - I'm still in Salt Lake City and time is running out. I will endeavour to do the remaining legs in the remaining time but, if I can't, is there any chance of an extension of maybe a week? I am going to be away on holiday at the end of this month as well, just to make things worse.

Continuing what I said previously, I'm afraid I am going to have to pull out of this unless I can have an extension of the deadline. I've been ill for a couple of weeks and not able to do my flying (or much else, apart from my theatre work which was, fortunately, fairly light). I'm about to go away for a week, with no PC access, so I will have 4 days when I get back to do 11 legs, having only got as far as KBTF. I'm having problems with FSFS as well, telling it what flight phase I am in. It's not been a good month one way and another :( . I still want to do the challenge but may have to be "unofficial" just to get the experience.

I would like to add my support for giving Ian the extension, he has given plenty of notice and we need all of the competitors we have right now to keep this fun and after all I got an extension in the last phase.

Dale

• Upvote 1

I would like to add my support for giving Ian the extension, he has given plenty of notice and we need all of the competitors we have right now to keep this fun and after all I got an extension in the last phase.

Dale

i absolutely agree with you Dale. We need everybody to take part of our challenge around the world. what kind of challenge would it be with only 3 or 4 pilots? :wacko:

at the start of phase 2 i had the apprehension that at the end of RWTC only half of the pilots will be in. but for now, we should take every possibility to bring all pilots to the finish of phase 2.

Owkay, against my own expectations, I managed to finish phase 2 within the allotted time.

I'm not very pleased with the scores I got though, as FSFS had the habit of making really random remarks, without due cause.

Lost a lot of points due to those. Well, we'll see how much once all scores are compared I guess.

screenshots and full flight log for verification coming soon.

I've been more or less grounded for the last couple of weeks due to theatre commitments (if you look at my Facebook page you'll see what I mean) so I am way behind on this - I'm still in Salt Lake City and time is running out. I will endeavour to do the remaining legs in the remaining time but, if I can't, is there any chance of an extension of maybe a week? I am going to be away on holiday at the end of this month as well, just to make things worse.

Ian..

You have been granted a 2 week extension.wink.gif

• Upvote 1

I would like to request a change of aircraft from the MD11 to the PMDG 737 NGX.

Can I... Can I..... Can I....?? I'm dying to fly it........

It's my first and only change.

:help_s:

OK major problems still, can I please request a one week extension?

FSX just crashed on me 5 minutes before touching down at PAWG, another 2.5 hours wasted. :dumb_me_s:

I will have to completely rebuild my PC and sort the cooling out if am to avoid this happening again. This has been happening on virtually every flight for the last week (it took me 8 tries to get into KSEA with a crash 5 minutes before landing each time).

If I can't get the extension then I am afraid that I'm out as I have no realistic chance of completing this phase today.

Thanks

Dale

Hi Dale,

I found that my PC often crashes on long flights if I take too many screenshots. This seems to take up the memory. Not sure if it would help making the flight again but not taking shots.

:help_s:

OK major problems still, can I please request a one week extension?

FSX just crashed on me 5 minutes before touching down at PAWG, another 2.5 hours wasted. :dumb_me_s:

I will have to completely rebuild my PC and sort the cooling out if am to avoid this happening again. This has been happening on virtually every flight for the last week (it took me 8 tries to get into KSEA with a crash 5 minutes before landing each time).

If I can't get the extension then I am afraid that I'm out as I have no realistic chance of completing this phase today.

Thanks

Dale

Take until Friday if you need it. We need you for Phase 3 and 4, :bow_down2_s: so....

Hi,

I have sent the files (same as for phase 1) to Matt at the Andras Field Events email. I will go on vacation end of next week, but should be back in time for phase 3.

Kind regards

Manuel

Hi Dale,

I found that my PC often crashes on long flights if I take too many screenshots. This seems to take up the memory. Not sure if it would help making the flight again but not taking shots.

Thanks for the tip Manuel. I'd be surprised if if were that with 24 Gb of Ram and 8Tb+ of storage.

But then again Ive found that the most (seemingly) insignificant things can create havoc (the butterfly effect). I think that it was a combination of hot weather (occasionally), running with most sliders maxed, REX, complex aircraft and complex scenery coming into view at the end of the flight.

I've now upgraded my cooling system to see if that will help (as well as turning my settings down).

Hi Dale,

Hi Manuel,

do you use a program for taking screenshots, or do you use just "alt+print"?

I would like to use such a program in the near future. Till now i do it with "alt+print", switching to paint, paste the screenshot and save it.... :mellow:

But if such a prog forces my RAM to be eaten up (only have 4GB) i will do it the old way...

Hi Manuel,

do you use a program for taking screenshots, or do you use just "alt+print"?

I would like to use such a program in the near future. Till now i do it with "alt+print", switching to paint, paste the screenshot and save it.... :mellow:

But if such a prog forces my RAM to be eaten up (only have 4GB) i will do it the old way...

No I am just pressing the "v" key to take screenshots in FSX.