Constantly pulling to the left: normal behaviour?

tup61

Earlier today I posted something about the Katana pulling to the left and if it would hurt to load the trike in mid air to fix this behaviour. First of all, yes, it hurts, and secondly, it's doesn't fix the pulling to the left... And right now this constant pulling to the left is ruining it all for me because I can't fly straight for a second without having to pull right on my controller.

This is what it looks like within seconds:

989left.jpg

Normal...? I even added a passenger to the plane to get more balance but that doesn't make a difference. WInd is at zero. Systems are checked and everything is fine. I haven't touched the trim tabs at all (don't even know how to move them or in what direction).So why is my Katana pulling to the left...? Can the trim be changed 'accidently' somehow and should I check them anyway...? (EDIT Just checked them: looks good.)

It's no fun at all flying the plane like this so I hope someone can help me out here: until then it's parked. :huh:

Some pull to the left is normal (caused by the prop).

I've got the same problem though, unpredictable stick forces...

I could somewhat manage it by adding a passenger with 70kg to the normal 85kg pilot (no luggage), however behavior is still erratic and I agree, manual flight is a lot of work therefore...

Sometimes it pulls to the left and sometimes to the right when experimenting with different weights with unforeseeable results...

I've also tried to counteract it with the trim-tabs

What are your realism settings? Maybe this is built in to counteract torque, p-effect or something else...

Some pull to the left is normal (caused by the prop).

I've got the same problem though, unpredictable stick forces...

I could somewhat manage it by adding a passenger with 70kg to the normal 85kg pilot (no luggage), however behavior is still erratic and I agree, manual flight is a lot of work therefore...

Sometimes it pulls to the left and sometimes to the right when experimenting with different weights with unforeseeable results...

I've also tried to counteract it with the trim-tabs

What are your realism settings? Maybe this is built in to counteract torque, p-effect or something else...

My realism settings are all to the complete left: apparently the Katana has its own torque settings etc. ..? Hm, this might be one realistic thing I could do without. ^_^

EDIT

Very odd... Just know I loaded the Katana for the first time in a Parked state (still don't know exactly how I got that done, but it was the very first time I managed to do that) and the flight after that was rather well... Just a very slight pull to the left but nothing like before... :wacko:

Put the general realism slider ALL THE WAY to the RIGHT.

There's a known issue with FSX caused by that slider. It was first mentioned by Rob at Real Air, as unless it is all the way right (not even a single notch less) some advanced flight modelling features are switched off, and odd things happen.

One of the things missing from the copious manuals is the developers recommendations on slider settings. Regardless of the others, I bet Marcel wants that slider to the right.

Right? Marcel?

The trim tabs are swung by using a left click on the mouse then dragging the tab in the desired direction. You might try adding a little right rudder trim. The other thing you can do is reduce power and prop rpm. There seems to be a `sweet spot` at cruise settings where the aircraft can be more easily trimmed.

I already have that general slider to the right: sorry for not not specific enough... All the others are to the left.

Thanks about the tips! I knew how to change the trim, but not which direction I should go to... so right it is. ^_^ And it might well be indeed that my last flight was flown with a more subtle power setting (because of the flickering GEN light...!) and hence a only very slight pull to the left. Prop is usually at 2200 (I let the lever align at the bottom of some sort of line I see to the left of it: this way I can set the lever and know it is right without having to look at the gauge immediately. Bad practive, I presume, but it worked until now :D ).

Tomorrow I will see if I can find that sweet trimming spot!

Thanks for helping out all the time, Snave! :) I am learning a lot here!

One thing many non-pilots don't realize is how much control inpot is really required of light aircraft. This is actually pretty sublime in FS compared to real life. I was reminded of this a few weeks ago when I rturned to the cockpit of a light GA aircraft for the first time after years of heavy jet flying. Look down for half a second to read a checklist or tune a radio, look back up and WHAT? 20 - 30 degrees off heading in 25 degrees of bank! The fact is, light aircraft require constant attention. You really can't trim them up for hands off flying on anything but the calmest day. That said, I have noticed a tendency to roll left in nearly every MSFS propeller driven single. I think MS's torque effects are maybe a tad overdone.

If you have rudder pedals you can counter this quite easily.

If not, get some, they're great! I have saitek pedals and while being cheap(ish), they work very well.

I also have the problem. I know of the torque from an engine, but this is a little annoying. Only way I can fly the Katana is with an autopilot. I do not want to sit there and hold my controller to the right while flying. If I am to let it go, within a few seconds I am already at a 45 degree bank and heading down. I understand also that small aircraft will tend to need a little babysitting to fly it just right. The default Cessna, and the Accusim Cub have a small portion of the torque realism, but as stated I have to hold my joystick to the right quite a bit.

The problem over here is almost over: as it is now, just a little pull to the left over time, I can live with. It suddenly went better after I made a default flight with the default C172. I then restarted FSX and selected the Katana on the main menu. I started a flight and added a passenger who is 80 kilo's: I am 70 kilo's and there is no bagage. When the flight is over, I save the situation but not as default. The next time I want to fly the Katana, I start FSX (and see the C172 on the main menu) and then I load the saved situation (usually the parked Katana). I load that flight and then plan a flight or just take off or let myself be transported to another airport it I feel like it.

Since I started doing things this way, my flights were great with only a very slight pull to the left. Don't know exactly what did the trick (must be something that's mentioned above) but all is well now. Advantage of doing it this way is that the fuel qiantity is saved too.

The problem over here is almost over: as it is now, just a little pull to the left over time, I can live with. It suddenly went better after I made a default flight with the default C172. I then restarted FSX and selected the Katana on the main menu. I started a flight and added a passenger who is 80 kilo's: I am 70 kilo's and there is no bagage. When the flight is over, I save the situation but not as default. The next time I want to fly the Katana, I start FSX (and see the C172 on the main menu) and then I load the saved situation (usually the parked Katana). I load that flight and then plan a flight or just take off or let myself be transported to another airport it I feel like it.

Since I started doing things this way, my flights were great with only a very slight pull to the left. Don't know exactly what did the trick (must be something that's mentioned above) but all is well now. Advantage of doing it this way is that the fuel qiantity is saved too.

Dont know if the new patch have something to do with this, but there is huge improvement for me also here. No more permanent pulling left. just a slight correction now and again. much more realistic.

• Aerosoft

I also have the problem. I know of the torque from an engine, but this is a little annoying. Only way I can fly the Katana is with an autopilot. I do not want to sit there and hold my controller to the right while flying. If I am to let it go, within a few seconds I am already at a 45 degree bank and heading down. I understand also that small aircraft will tend to need a little babysitting to fly it just right. The default Cessna, and the Accusim Cub have a small portion of the torque realism, but as stated I have to hold my joystick to the right quite a bit.

I got (half) a Cub and I find that the Accusim Cub is too stable (okay mine is bend a bit here and there but still). The default Cessna is simplified in many ways and a bad comparison. But what both have in common is that they are high wing aircraft while the Katana is a low wing aircraft. They fly really very different. The Katana is a hands-on aircraft. That's why it is a good trainer!

If you ever take flying lessons try to take lessons in a low wing aircraft, I always found the step from high to low rather difficult.

I set my trim tab just now to hold straight and level when in cruise at around 100KIAS. On take off at high power, the aircraft needs to be held with a touch of right rudder or a little right aileron.

Once in cruise, everything is set...

Andrew

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but it is related.

I'm new to the Katana, and so far very impressed. I do however have a small issue that I need some clarification on. I've installed the 1.01 Beta update (if that helps), but nothing has changed.

My issue is this: I set the trim tabs and the plane flies very close to wings level, depending on power/cruise settings, and perfectly wings level at a "sweet spot" mentioned earlier. I complete my flight, and shut down the plane at parking. Put on the ground items such as tie downs, control lock etc. and close flight sim. When I come back to the Katana, do a maintenance check, and a service check, and the walk round, followed by a quick clean. Everything seems to be in order, no problems, all fluids checked etc. I start the plane and warm up, taxi, and then take off. The plane "feels" like the trim tabs haven't been set, and the hours the previous day are totally wasted, because I have to do it all over again before I can actually fly anywhere.

Is this normal? Do you have to reset the tabs every single time you take her up? I'm finding I am spending too much time setting up the tabs, and running out of time to do any serious flying. It's rather spoiling the whole experience for me.

I've checked the cfg file, and data is definitely being written and changed each flight, so I doubt it's a file issue there. Any thoughts on this? Oh I use the same weights for pilot every flight, and fuel is pretty close each time too (but not exactly spot on).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as at the moment I'm reduced to flying in simple mode to see if that helps.

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but it is related.

I'm new to the Katana, and so far very impressed. I do however have a small issue that I need some clarification on. I've installed the 1.01 Beta update (if that helps), but nothing has changed.

My issue is this: I set the trim tabs and the plane flies very close to wings level, depending on power/cruise settings, and perfectly wings level at a "sweet spot" mentioned earlier. I complete my flight, and shut down the plane at parking. Put on the ground items such as tie downs, control lock etc. and close flight sim. When I come back to the Katana, do a maintenance check, and a service check, and the walk round, followed by a quick clean. Everything seems to be in order, no problems, all fluids checked etc. I start the plane and warm up, taxi, and then take off. The plane "feels" like the trim tabs haven't been set, and the hours the previous day are totally wasted, because I have to do it all over again before I can actually fly anywhere.

Is this normal? Do you have to reset the tabs every single time you take her up? I'm finding I am spending too much time setting up the tabs, and running out of time to do any serious flying. It's rather spoiling the whole experience for me.

I've checked the cfg file, and data is definitely being written and changed each flight, so I doubt it's a file issue there. Any thoughts on this? Oh I use the same weights for pilot every flight, and fuel is pretty close each time too (but not exactly spot on).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as at the moment I'm reduced to flying in simple mode to see if that helps.

What is your start selections

realistic/simple

parked/cold and dark etc etc ect there a quite a few methods for the plane at start of sim.

this determine a lot of things, so let us know first what is the conditions you selected when you start the sim. I know certain "parked" set it like it was parked by another user like in real life, today I fly the plane. tommorow someone else fly it and I will get the plane as it was left by the other guy and that is why I ask what your selection settings are as that might just be the culprit here, where you get the plane as it was left by a "somebody else" instead of in the condition used by yourself last time.

Unfortunaletly I am not now by my machine so I cant check to see wht my settings are, but mine, pretty much have it settings as I left it the last time.

Also look at this add on trim setting gauge

http://forum.aerosof...-the-trim-tabs/

set it to a value and then restart fsx and that way you can confirm if the trim settings have indeed been changed.

Hi bliksimpie, thanks for the reply.

Ah yes, good point about what state the plane is loaded in, I never thought of that. I'll check right now. . . . . . . I can say I'm loading it in realistic mode, that's a given. It is cold and dark, with wheel chocks, tie downs, and controls locked etc. As for whether someone else has used it in the mean time, I'm waiting for FSX to boot up. . . . . . . . . OPERATION MODE: Realistic. INITIATION MODE: Automatic. CONTROLS: Prop Lever (FSX) Flap Lever Compatible. All the rest are checked, Lighting, Effects - Sounds, Effects - Vibrations. I can't see anywhere that says only used by me, or may be used by others, so I can't select anything there, so have no way of knowing.

I load the plane, do maintenance checks, and service checks, (after taking away the ground items, and control locks), then I do my walk round, and check fluids etc. (Required elements on that screen). I check Payload, and fuel to 70% every flight, check the trim tabs screen, but don't touch them. Then clean the plane, start up, and the usual before flying, then take off. I did notice today that it wasn't as bad as normal. It still needed an adjustment, but not as much. Maybe it's the conditions? That's the only element of my flights that isn't constant, the weather! I'm really not a pilot, so I wouldn't know what affects what regarding trim tabs. Maybe those adjustments will become easier and quicker with experience? I was just trying confirm that the plane was "supposed" to react in that way really.

After shutting down today, I used the "Clean Aircraft" in the Maintenance screen, instead of doing it manually. ONE HOUR later it's still cleaning. I had to stop it or I felt it would clean forever. The kid's been sacked of course, and I didn't pay him either, the lazy toe rag. Guess I'll have to do it myself in future :(

I think the issue is with the initiation mode = automatic.

Automatic is doing its own thing as I understand

see page 1/11

1.5.2 SETTINGS INITIATION MODE

As soon as the Katana has been loaded, the

add-on tries to figure out the situation of the

aircraft to configure itself. (Automatic is selected) This mechanism can

be overriden by selecting Cold and Dark or

Parked.

I quote few posts, that might share some light on the problem. I am trying to locate a specific post where Marcel explained all the different start modes and the respective consequences of each one, but I cant find it, I might be wrong but I am pretty sure cold and dark is as "some-one" else left it..

I do use "parked" mode

Parked mode comes before cold and dark. You could say parked means 'colder and darker' mode... tongue.gif Afaik the belt/strap isn't used in cold and Dark and the fuel is on. WIth parked fuel is off and the red strap is on. When you are in parked mode and turn the fuel valve on and remove the belt, you are (if I didn't miss a thing...) in cold and Dark mode

The cold and dark does not imply all chocks are in place, control locks attached. Only that the engine is off, all electrics disabled.

The scenario you want is PARKED.

do you have system privileges to write to the file containing the state?

http://forum.aerosof...rts-all-broken/

........As the core system information is held within these files, windows will not allow write to file, only read.So when you try and save something it needs to write to that file, whitch is in program files, where windows dont allow write.

http://forum.aerosof...ng-save-states/

Yes I am running realistic mode. I think it's the administrator rights... I keep forgetting about that. Is there anyway of making the software always run with administrator rights?

EDIT

I was thinking of "parked random" where it is left as used by someone else.

I pretty much read every thread written for the Katana, but I didn't see anything relevant to trim tabs in the context I'm referring to. I chose the Automatic mode because I don't want to join a multi player session and end up in the air, because of the lack of parking, and have a shut down engine etc.

I'll run a few investigations into the file writing stuff, but the cfg file for this aircraft is written to with no problems. I'll check the trim tab figures in that file, and then re-trim and check them again to see if there is any difference. It might just be me being a total dickhead :)

Thanks for the help though. I'll try a few things tomorrow, I have the day free I think.

guys- it is me or work the trimtabs in opposite direction? If i move the left one to the up and the right one down, she banks more to the right... that´s wrong, isn´t it?

the second thing i found out is, if you dont use the weight tool (package/load) in your preflight, it will not be recognized at all, but if you change the loadout value eg. for your pilot from ~85 to 85,5 or so, you can see how the plane bounces down (like from 0kg to 85kg at once, not only 0.5)

guys- it is me or work the trimtabs in opposite direction? If i move the left one to the up and the right one down, she banks more to the right... that´s wrong, isn´t it?

The trim tabs work correctly with the beta patch installed. Think of it this way: Moving the trim tab up will help force the aileron down, which in turn will lift that wing.

the second thing i found out is, if you dont use the weight tool (package/load) in your preflight, it will not be recognized at all, but if you change the loadout value eg. for your pilot from ~85 to 85,5 or so, you can see how the plane bounces down (like from 0kg to 85kg at once, not only 0.5)

Yep the tabs work as they should after the beta patch. Someone already mentioned that the trim tabs drive the Aileron, not the wing. So if you want to lift the right wing, you need to drop the right Aileron, (as in push the stick to the left) the trim tab does that by pushing the Aileron down when you bend it up. If you bend the right trim tab up a little, and the left trim tab down a little, the effect is more or less the same I think.

As for the payload weight thing, I always check that just in case it puts a fat pilot in there and alters all my trim. I set it to my own weight 147lbs, and 5kilos of baggage, with no copilot. I always stick to the same procedure every time, and so far it's getting better each time.