World Champion Contest 2010 Chili day 2

bruin

Oké, between all the hard work on gauges, polars and wave simulation time for some fun.

Atached is a zip file with files in it to make it possible for you to fly the SOAR DG along with the RL-cracks in a World Champion Contest task of 324km.

How did I do that:

In the first week of 2010 the WCC 15m Gliding took place in Chili (it is summer in Chili in january).

I picked up from the internet the IGC-files from the participators of every day of the contest and also the daily tasks and weather forecasts.

I then planted the IGC's of WCC day 2 into FSX so simlogger will recognise them and I created a flightplan with the RL waypoints and a FSX weather setting, close to the RL- weather forecast of that contest day. I finally manipulated the flightplan so, that when loading the flightplan the SOAR DG starts at the startline at the same time and altitude the RL-cracks cross the startline. So when I start the task after a few seconds I find myself surrounded by "RL-soarers" setting course for waypoint 1. Cool!

How to install the task in your FSX:

1. Of course first it is needed you have SOAR DG, Simlogger and CumulusX installed and working.

2. Unzip the attached file and copy the .pln, .flt and .wx and the folder with the IGC's in it into the folder that contains the FSX flight files. On my computer that is c:\Users\owner\my documents\Flight Simulator X files.

Preparation before flight:

In the zipfile you will also find the official RL-task and RL-weather information for the day 2 task.

How to run the task:

Then start FSX and in the FREE FLIGHT menu load the task titled FAI World Chili day 2 on air. That's it, the task will load and start in paused mode. Press <P> to unpause when you are ready for action.

Have fun and take care, especially until halfway to waypoint 2 !!!

Bert

FAI world chili day 2 on air.zip

Thanks for sharing this bruin! Recreating RL tasks in Flight Sims has long been an interest of mine. I used to do it quite a lot in Condor, starting with the WGC2008 in Rieti, Italy. I think it is because I view Flight Simulators as "simulators", and not a "game", that I like to make things as realistic as possible, and what better way than to set up a task that real pilots flew, in a real competition, somewhere in the world?

Unfortunately, I usually don't find time to actually fly them however, since tasks in modern World Cup competitions, when the weather is good, tend to be very long flights. This one is 325km. If that were a thermal flight, I know it would take me 3 to 4 hours, which is a bit past my limit. But looks like, from wind and terrain, there might be quite a bit of ridge on this task, which tends to speed things up.

Getting good weather data is often the hardest part of this sort of project. I see your weather forecast includes thermal strenth, which is the one thing I have trouble finding and have to guess at. Sometimes the competitors IGC is a good source for that. I have usually used Weather Underground sites, since quite often they maintain historical data, sometimes going back a few years.

yup thanks Bert - I'm looking forward to trying this. As you say, I'm still hacking the polar of the ASH25, but this will make a nice break.

Cheers

B21

Unfortunately, I usually don't find time to actually fly them however, since tasks in modern World Cup competitions, when the weather is good, tend to be very long flights. This one is 325km. If that were a thermal flight, I know it would take me 3 to 4 hours, which is a bit past my limit. But looks like, from wind and terrain, there might be quite a bit of ridge on this task, which tends to speed things up.

I may have something in production right now that is from a real world glider competition that may get you through in under an hour. Some of the competitors were in the 40 minute range. I have one hurdle to get over and not sure yet what would be the best solution for it.

Scott

I may have something in production right now that is from a real world glider competition that may get you through in under an hour. Some of the competitors were in the 40 minute range.

Sounds interesting! One thing I've done with the Rieti tasks, was to fly the World Class task with Standard Class glider. The World Class (PW5) are usually fairly short, like around 200km, so can be flown with Standard class in 2 hours or less.

Hi Bert

Got this loaded up ok and sure enough there I am flying along in the midst of the gaggle. Great to see a RL comp shown this way. After about 20 min the gaggle all flew into a hill and disappeared, I guess my generic scenery may be out?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have installed mesh_fermandois_chile01.zip and mesh_fermandois_chile02.zip, both dated dec-2009. They are downloadable from avsim.com and they work for fs2004 and FSX (search for fermandois).

It is a pretty acurate mesh, but sometimes with this mesh, the RL's also go out of site to pop up some time later again.

And the RL's always dissapear when they are at a more than 10NM distance from the user.

Hope this helps,

Bert