How to fly online

Matt_Smith

First off, You should check what runway is in use and announce that you are taxing to the runway

D-EAAC is taxing to runway 09

Once your at the hold for the active runway

D-EAAC is holding short runway 09

Check for any traffic landing or taking off, if all clear taxi onto the runway. If you going to fly ciruits/pattern announce so here, or if departing state direction

D-EAAC is linging up runway 09 circuits or

D-EAAC is linging up runway 09 departure to the south

If clear tro take off then advance the throttle and take off. If your staying in the circuit climb on runway heading to 4000' (circuit hight) then commence your turn cross wind. See the pictures at the end for examples.

Announcing your position in a circuit

Cross Wind

D-EAAC is cross wind 09

On the down wind leg, you should also announce your intention eg touch and go or to land.

D-EAAC is down wind 09 touch and go

D-EAAC is down wind 09 to land

Base leg

D-EAAC is base 09

Final

D-EAAC is Final 09 touch and go

D-EAAC is Final 09 to land

If landing announce when clear of the runway

D-EAAC is clear of the active

Theres variations of all of the above radio calls and they're all accepted. Dont worry about making mistakes (the royal we being me :unsure: ), we all make mistakes when flying online just remember to correct your self. Then have a good laugh at the mistake over a drink the the club house :)

Finally when approching Andras Field on your return home to announce your position and intentions you can join any part of the circuit suitable, but remember joining traffic always gives way to traffice in the circuit.

D-EAAC is 20nm west at 8,000' inbound to land, will join final if runway 09 is the active runway, if 27 is active

D-EAAC is 20nm west at 8,000' inbound to land, will join down wind

Runway 09 is a left hand circuit and runway 27 right hand

That should cover everything, if theres any questions please do ask.

runway09.jpg

runway27.jpg

Also would someone else like to add to this a basic procedure for when we have someone manning our tower?

• Upvote 1

Thank you Matt,

This clear's a lot.

That's the reason I still did not join the online flying community.

I do have a lot of night shifts, but wil be free for two weeks from the 4th of november.

Do we know if VAE is present at the FS weekend?

Glad to be of assistance John and look forward to seeing you online. As for whether or not VAE is at the FS weekend I dont know, maybe one of the guys from there if they read this can lets us know.

So far I have installed the software from VAE and it works with some good support from Robert overthere. Looking forward to getting to know how this works, getting involved in the community and finding my way down towards the airport.

Aerobird

Glad to be of assistance John and look forward to seeing you online. As for whether or not VAE is at the FS weekend I dont know, maybe one of the guys from there if they read this can lets us know.

I don't know what FS Weekend is so I don't think VAE will be there.

Thank you Matt,

This clear's a lot.

That's the reason I still did not join the online flying community.

I do have a lot of night shifts, but wil be free for two weeks from the 4th of november.

Do we know if VAE is present at the FS weekend?

Hi John:

My english is not so good than yours. But to fly online you do'nt need to have an Oxford accent. You only need to have a good knowledge of the aeronautical phraseology.

For more than 30 years I've been controlling REAL traffic as an ATC in Madrid Control Center and never had a problem with my language. Because I allways used the right phraseology at the right moment and that is understood

by a British, American, Russian or Spanish pilots.

Anyway, if we meet tomorrow at the FSWeekend I may help you in clarifying the doubts you would have.

That's apply to everyone who need any help on phraseology or operational procedures.

Hope to meet you tomorrow

The Oxford accent, so over rated, Cambridge is where its at :P

But, I am biased :D

Oh! Sorry Matt. For me both accents sounds very good and I feel jalous when I hear one of them.

But I lived in Wimbledon for two months, wich is closer to Oxford than Cambridge, so thats the reason I mencioned it :wub:

Hey Ramon, in all honesty theres so very little difference between the two! Im originally from Liverpool, but no longer with the accent. Lived in Cambridge since the age of 6

Hey Ramon, in all honesty theres so very little difference between the two! Im originally from Liverpool, but no longer with the accent. Lived in Cambridge since the age of 6

Maybe this would help anybody having doubts with the phraseology.

Starting at chapter 3 you can find general phraseology for any situation while flying.

Looks very complex, but after a quick look you'll find easy.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.PDF

• Upvote 1

Starting at chapter 3 you can find general phraseology for any situation while flying.

http://www.caa.co.uk...s/33/CAP413.PDF

Thanks for this - you are right at first glance it looks hard to understand but once you read it you soon see how easy it is!.

I recommend Chapter 4 it has some good diagrams on where you should make your calls CH4 p10 & CH4 p41 great if you are new to online flying like me

even a section for helicopters CH4 p23-26:)

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.PDF

It's a lot of reading, but it looks easy as you said.

Next time I wil log in and listen to you guys and when I lost my shyness I wil join the flights. :rolleyes:

So JohnGiezen, how do I go about that ? Sorry, I'm very new to all this. :unsure: I'm doing heaps of reading and trying to absorb it all.

Cheers Spud

Well I guess theres 2 ways to observe us. You can either just join us on teamspeak and listen to what goes on. Or you can join us on teamspeak and on the server in FSX, sit on the ramp watching and listening to whats going on. Then when you realise theres nothing to worry about you can start up and join us :)

Matt, thanks for explaining. Just to make sure that I've got this right, I bring up the game, then everything is in view for me where I can see you guys and gals flying around and I can also here you all ? :blush: But, I'd still need to join the host ? Once I'm a little more confident, I'll join the flying school and meet you all in the sky ! :rolleyes: Sorry to be a pain with my questions.

Cheers Spud

No need to appologise Spud. You connect to the VAE Teamspeak server and in there we have our own unicom channel. In FSX if you have squawkwin installed press shift + pab together to load up the squawkwin program. Once thats loaded right click the squawkwin window and select connect to server (or something similar to that). That will then connect you so that you can see us all flying around the airfield. For info on settup up squawkwin and teamspeak theres a lot of info on the VAE website, or ask here B)

:focus_s:

And I just saw this, made me laugh. Yes I have the mental age of a 10 year old :lol:

Thanks again Matt for all your help. You've explained it really well and I'll follow your instructions to the letter. ;) You'll see me up in the air sooner or later. :D

Cheers Spud

It's pretty easy to get set up once you take a few minutes to visit the VAE site and get signed up there. They've a few tutorials on how to get up and running.

Thanks Vance. I'll look into it after the weekend as I have my Mum staying over and there's no chance getting long enough on the puter ! It's yap, yap, yap, yap !!!! :lol:

Cheers Spud