Tips, Tricks and Procedures

Tyrion

Hey,

I'll be using this topic to centralize all tips, tricks and procedures specifically concerning the glider field on Andras Field.

As this is a work in progress, just as the Andras Field and it's procedures itself, this will be updated as and when required.

Standard Operating Procedures:

First of all, the general rules and procedures of Andras Field also apply to glider pilots! So stay updated on these as well, I will not double post them here.

Second, and the most important rule of all: Use proper judgement! When in doubt, find another solution.

- Landing runway 10: use a right-hand traffic pattern

- Landing runway 28: use a left-hand traffic pattern

- Stay clear of both the concrete and water runways, unless cleared to cross by Andras Tower.

- Minimum runway crossing altitude is set at 150m or 500ft AGL, no crossings are allowed below this altitude.

- Stay clear of the concrete and water runway approaches and departures at all times, when these runways are in use, unless cleared by Andras Tower

- When crossing the runways, approaches and departures, this should always be done in a straight line, in the quickest way possible, and only when cleared to do so by Andras Tower.

Recommended circuit height:

- establishing the downwind somewhere between 200 and 300 meters (600 and 900ft aprox) AGL feels good to me using the Discus and the default DG808.

however, the most important rule here is once again to exercise proper judgement, and know your own limitations.

Tips:

Which cable length per runway:

these are measured when starting from the respective FS starting point (the point where your aircraft stand when selecting that runway in the 'go to airport' menu) use this cable length when using WinchX.

10 : 900m; 930m maximum

28 : 900m; 950m maximum

9 : up to 2450m (normally not used for glider traffic)

27 : up to 2500m (normally not used for glider traffic)

As these cable lengths are very short on the glider field, I suggest using an air-tow or self launched glider when starting here.

Tricks:

Programs you can use for gliding in FSX:

- WinchX (included in the Aerosoft Discus X or google it) is used to winch launch any glider in FSX.

- CumulusX (google it!) Adds thermals with corresponding cumulus clouds above them

- Aerotow is used to customize the aircraft and flight path used for towing in FSX.

(I had trouble finding it at first, so here's a direct link: http://lennundus.org....ss/aerotow.zip)

WARNING: Aerotow is reported to be buggy on some systems! It works on mine, but I haven't tested it's turning capability yet

Of course, additions and suggestions are always welcome (also check out the suggestion box in this forum!)!! I'll try to keep this thread up to date as much as possible...

Lars

Hi Tyrion,

Are you taking your hights from QNH or QFE??

QNH and with your hights will give you a winch launch on QFE of 500ft!!!!! As I read it the circuit is set at 1000ft therefore, the launch hight could be from 1000ft upwards for winch and +500/1000ft on aerotow.

QFE with your hights will give a winch launch of 3051ft.

As I see it from both UK gliding Clubs and from my activity within the UK VGA gliders tend to operate QFE. Can you clarify please.

Hi Tyrion,

Are you taking your hights from QNH or QFE??

QNH and with your hights will give you a winch launch on QFE of 500ft!!!!! As I read it the circuit is set at 1000ft therefore, the launch hight could be from 1000ft upwards for winch and +500/1000ft on aerotow.

QFE with your hights will give a winch launch of 3051ft.

As I see it from both UK gliding Clubs and from my activity within the UK VGA gliders tend to operate QFE. Can you clarify please.

Hey James,

I didn't mention any heights in the thread (not yet anyway)

The cable lengths I showed are the lenght of cable on the ground, when starting WinchX.

I determined this lengths just by seeing what was physically possible: the winch truck can't be in, or over, water...

The height you reach, will be dependant on the aircraft you use, the launch speed and the headwind component, as I'm sure you know.

I hope this clarifies things!

My apologies, my flight calculator is having a bad day. This being the case then max cable length aught to be 460m/1500ft keeping you in line with circuit height.

All in all, nice one.

My apologies, my flight calculator is having a bad day. This being the case then max cable length aught to be 460m/1500ft keeping you in line with circuit height.

All in all, nice one.

No need to apologize James, but another remark:

Cable length has nothing to do with circuit height. You just use the best cable length you can get your hands on, and the space on the airfield allows (therefore the limitations I set up for Andras field)

Where I fly in real life, the circuit starts at 300-350m (1000-1150ft) but we use 1500m (4900ft) cables. With a good headwind, a light aircraft and a good pilot, you can reach up to 700m AGL (or even more, the record with those cables is about 800m) in the winch launch there.

A quite good general rule is the following: the cable length divided by 3 is the altitude you can reach if there's little or no headwind. So with a 1500ft cable, you'll only reach 500ft AGL, forcing you to enter the circuit right away to avoid landing in a field right next to the airfield...

• 1 month later...

a small update on the procedures:

Recommended circuit height:

- establishing the downwind somewhere between 200 and 300 meters AGL feels good to me using the Discus and the default DG808.

however, the most important rule here is once again to exercise proper judgement, and know your own limitations.

• 2 months later...

First post updated to reflect the boards decision of a minimum crossing altitude for the main concrete runway.

The minimum altitude for crossing is set at 150m or 500ft AGL. No crossings allowed below this altitude when the main runway is active.