Glider Association suggestion box

Tyrion

Hey Guys,

Ole just informed me I'll be the President of the Andras Field Glider Association!

I'm very proud to hold that post at least for while.

So if there's anything you need concerning the Glider field or Glider Association,

feel free to post here!

I won't have internet the next couple of days, but I will be flying around Andras field, and might come up with some stuff myself.

I'll also be trying to write up some tips, tricks and procedures specifically for the gliders around Andras Field!

greetz,

Lars

Hi,

Two suggestions I could think of:

- What about some virtual badges for glider pilots who manage to fly certain times or distances (similar to FAI badges). Could be either mission based or the the people have to send a confirmation of the achieved task (e.g. screenshot of the FSX flight analysis). The badges could be small graphic files that can be added to the signature.

- Do we need a procedure for rope breaks? So far I didn't have any issues either landing straight ahead on the runway or fly a shortened circuit over the lake. Only issue might be seaplane traffic if you are very low.

Kind regards

Manuel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Two suggestions I could think of:

- What about some virtual badges for glider pilots who manage to fly certain times or distances (similar to FAI badges). Could be either mission based or the the people have to send a confirmation of the achieved task (e.g. screenshot of the FSX flight analysis). The badges could be small graphic files that can be added to the signature.

- Do we need a procedure for rope breaks? So far I didn't have any issues either landing straight ahead on the runway or fly a shortened circuit over the lake. Only issue might be seaplane traffic if you are very low.

Kind regards

Manuel

Concerning the rope breaking business, Im blank. Ill let that hover in the wind for now - sorry.

But concerning your idea of a "badge" for achievements in the glider. I like the idea, but how to confirm it - I dont know. I will have to try to look at how this could be confirmed, without any possibility to cheat like using "slew" for instance. Perhaps only on-line... hm I dont know yet, but I like it, and I will work on the idea.

Would you have any ideas? also for how the "badges" could look? Please feel free to mail to me (airpark@andrasfield) with both written and graphical ideas. And we could get this in motion soon.

Might be real good for the glider traffic in Andras Field all together, so thanks for this.

And all others - please come forward with ideas, so we can get this glider business in motion. I will personally start on my glider practice ASAP, to get a badge or two, when we get it going. Thats for sure. :D

But concerning your idea of a "badge" for achievements in the glider. I like the idea, but how to confirm it - I dont know.

Video should work nicely. Start filming on the active, and stop once you land or get the mission success message. Will be pretty easy to tell if filming was stopped mid flight.

Video should work nicely. Start filming on the active, and stop once you land or get the mission success message. Will be pretty easy to tell if filming was stopped mid flight.

True - but it could be a workload to have to watch 30 peoples 1½ long flights.....:huh:

But thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps I would only have to watch some of it.... OR even better, the Youtube videos (I guess thats what you mean) could of course be reported by the OTHER users if something fishy was going on.

It might be pretty good Bruce.

Thanks, Ill look at it. :P

Obviously, a glider pilot has not many choices after a rope break. So if the glider strip is long enough land straight ahead, otherwise make a U-turn (if wind is not strong), an S-turn, or a circle, or a shortened circuit pattern.

On RW aerdromes with mixed traffic, there is typically some coordination, when starting glider and approaching traffic cannot be separated.

Departing traffic must often wait, when a winch launch is in progress.

On some RW airports with little space between the rundways, powered aircraft have to go around, when in parellel approach with a glider.

In general, gliders are prioritized over power aircraft in common airspace, even if the powered aircraft flies in IFR mode. In fact that is frequently not practical. In particular crews of commercial airlineers are usually to busy to look out for VFR traffic, regardless of flying IFR or VFR.

BTW, typcial glider circuit patterns are around 500-750ft AGL. There is also not much sense in not allowing gliders to climb higher than 1000ft AGL nearby the aerodrome, as this would almost surely provoke landing out. What is usually not permitted is thermalling right above an aerodrome in less then 2000ft AGL, or not at all, if parachutists are active (anybody thought of this at AF?)

Cheers,

Peter