Question to Mathijs Kok about AFS 2012

av.7447

Hello.,

somehow I couldn't start a new topic in AFS2012 so I decided to ask a question here.... topic can be moved later on I guess anyways. So I have been following AFS forums for some time now and I have accumulated alot of questions. :)

anyways.., I wanted to ask if you guys at aerosoft are aware of this company: "c3 technologies" and if there is a possibility you can use some of their help developing AFS 2012 ?

I am not leaving any links here, for those that are interested can just google c3 technologies.. They also have some videos on YouTube.

Best Regards

Vlad

Although that technology is very good... it is VERY expensive, and really not compatible with the way things are done today. Who knows maybe in 10 years time when all the data is collected it'll be fairly affordable, but definitely not today or tommorow smile.gif

I know when they first started this stuff they tried to do a tiny area in London, and they had to hover a helicopter for 3 days straight.

Who cares

I have given up waiting for something to happen

Fairly fuzzy logic in the way Mathijs is stuffing people

around on the subject of AFS 2012.

Because Mathijs that is what you are doing

"Stuffing Potential Consumers Around"

Tas

• Upvote 2

Who cares

I have given up waiting for something to happen

Fairly fuzzy logic in the way Mathijs is stuffing people

around on the subject of AFS 2012.

Because Mathijs that is what you are doing

"Stuffing Potential Consumers Around"

Tas

totally agreed....

brds

Martin

• Upvote 1

Hello Tas,

Could you please explain a little bit more in detail in how you came to this conclusion.

Just my take on things, first, I am so glad that Aerosoft is thinking about developing a new flight sim. I think it will be worth waiting for.

However, I think the issue some posters are having (and admittedly, to some extent, I am too) is the lack of ANY information about AFS2012. I can understand the issue of not giving out a lot of info when things are not finalized, but a quick post in the AFS thread would be appreciated. Even if it's a simple, "we are still in discussions with people", or "we are still working on it", or "things are moving along (or not coming along)". Anything. I think some people feel "no news is bad news". And sometimes that's true.

Plus the fact that almost a year ago, there were threads opened, and updated on a monthly basis, and talk of game engines, and talks of discussions with bankers, and developers, and what we would like, what we wouldn't like, etc, for months and months, and now, there is a lack of news. Maybe some people were hoping for more substantial info being out by this point. Maybe some people are worried that this project hasn't progressed past the "thinking of developing it stage".

Again, I don't expect to see a lot of info, so I just check that thread and hope to see something/anything new, but I don't "expect" to see any new news, so I won't get too disappointed when there isn't any.

One last thing, can we see some screenshots of AFS2012, LOL, just kidding!!!

Thanks Aerosoft for the great products.

• Upvote 5

Personally, I think those that can't tell the difference between theoretical discussion about the nature and content of a `future simulator` and the debate of the merits of particular choices once those discussions have been finalised and quorums reached, have no place involving themselves in such discussions and should merely keep quiet, watch and wait.

It is no coincidence that neither janda nor Tassie Tiger have completed their user profiles, nor contributed anything of repute in the AFS2012 forum...

• Upvote 5

Just regarding the opening point of this thread, I have to say c3 have blown me away with their product and I'd encourage readers to explore their online demos.It has always struck me as a solution or at least an alternative to autogen; a highly detailed mesh combined with precisely calibrated imagery.

Ok it may not be as simple as that, but when you compare the imagery in c3 to google it's not hard to imagine how stunning it would appear in FSX. Go on have a try, open up the c3 demo in Oslo and compare it in another window to that of Google Earth!

And contrary to a previous poster, the compilation of imagery, according to the website does not take that long (they claimed Oslo was created in 3 days!), as they have managed to make it a fully automated process. Okay, no word of the costs. But if it was equitable, and plausible all you would need was one of the 'aerosoft fleet' kitted out with their photographic equipment and then just GO…!

Or can someone explain to me how, theoretically at least, how it could or could not be possible to do this for FS?

http://www.c3technol...com/en_demo.php

• Upvote 2

Hi

Nice to hear Mathijs, that things is moving foreward.

I keep coming back to www.outerra.com think thry have come a long way.

Yes the engine may not be finish yet, but we are talking about a project comming i 2013 so there is time to mature this engine. Outerra is only 2 people with money and help from Aerosoft I am sure this could be a Super engine...

What do you think ? pros and cons. on this engine ??

Henrik

• Upvote 1

Currently we are in the stage of going from paper to coding and for a project of this size that's always a major step. Contracts need to be signed, people got to change jobs, move country etc. Are we going to do a new simulator? Personally I think so, my CEO pays me to push it. Is it going to happen? Yeah sure it is, but now you know why I say that. Lol. Things look good but that's all I can say. Is it going fast enough? Hell no, we are calling it AFS2013 already.

Hmm... to what country would one have to move in order to work on this thing?

Hypothetically speaking of course. :rolleyes:

Colin

Nice to hear Mathijs, that things is moving foreward.

I keep coming back to www.outerra.com think thry have come a long way.

Yes the engine may not be finish yet, but we are talking about a project comming i 2013 so there is time to mature this engine. Outerra is only 2 people with money and help from Aerosoft I am sure this could be a Super engine...

What do you think ? pros and cons. on this engine ??

Outerra is amazing!

Yes its early stages but Aerosoft must be blind :) if they cant see the potential of the Outerra platform and the enthusiasm of the Outerra developers.

Aerosoft partner with them before its too late and you miss your chance!!!

Outerra + Aerosoft = Ultimate flight/train/ship/driving sim!

• Upvote 1

My my, what a load of post and what negative comments. Mind you were are used to that by now, if you try to be open and honest and most certainly if you try to include potential customers into projects most will like it and participate, some will expect more then you can show/tell or are willing to show/tell and will be pissed off. We see exactly the same pattern for any project we handle that way. But it's okay.

Now honestly and without any derogatory idea behind it, I got no idea what you mean. Could be we got a language issue here, "stuffing around" is not something I am familiar with. If you mean that we tell people that we are seriously thinking about a new simulator and like to discus that with our customer? Well sure, that's how like it. I mean if you don't like it, simply don't read it! It's not like telling people a new simulator is coming helps us sell what we are doing right now, right?

Let me update you as much as I can. This is a multimillion dollar project and without signed contracts and the marketing girls having done what the like to do my hands are tight. But we made great steps. Money is strangely enough not a major issue, we got some, Aerosoft is a very healthy company. We also got the partner we wanted, if you are going to bump heads with Mama Microsoft you better have some muscle. We also think we know what you, the customer, want. A simulator that is fast, open (fully documented) and above all a solid base for further developments.

Currently we are in the stage of going from paper to coding and for a project of this size that's always a major step. Contracts need to be signed, people got to change jobs, move country etc. Are we going to do a new simulator? Personally I think so, my CEO pays me to push it. Is it going to happen? Yeah sure it is, but now you know why I say that. Lol. Things look good but that's all I can say. Is it going fast enough? Hell no, we are calling it AFS2013 already.

Now on to samples shown and links given. We know all those and we smiled a lot about the three days. See we actually USE these kinds of files for the US cities series. Just check Google Earth Building Maker and you got a good idea how these things work. We got similar but professional tools that we use for professional projects. But they are far from anything that could be used in a flight simulator that we need. Believe me we look at all these things, all these engines. all these demos. But when we ask these companies to show something on a round earth, with sight lines of 100 miles, using DX11 and not using more then 30% of resources (we also got to do flight modeling, weather, user interface, online stuff etc etc) you will get a lot less enthusiastic responses. If at all. We spend a whopping lot of money on trying to find what we need and so far it seems it just does not exist (professional sims most certainly can't). So we got to adapt something.

I am sorry you feel 'stuffed around'. But that's all I am willing to say right now.

Hmm 2013. That is ok by me, I would rather wait long for a Flight Sim that is in good working order then get it early and have bugs everywhere. I just bought Air Hauler and am very disappointed in FSX as it always crashes which stuffs up my flight.

Just out of curiosity have you looked into partnering with X-PLANE (If that is at all possible, just putting it out there). I like the fact that it actually calculates the plane dynamics, that included with some amazing scenery, aircraft models and maybe a career option would be my ultimate FS.

Anyways it is good to hear things are moving forwards and for the first time in a long time I am very excited about a flight sim.

Thanks Mathijs

• Upvote 2

My my, what a load of post and what negative comments. Mind you were are used to that by now, if you try to be open and honest and most certainly if you try to include potential customers into projects most will like it and participate, some will expect more then you can show/tell or are willing to show/tell and will be pissed off. We see exactly the same pattern for any project we handle that way. But it's okay.

Now honestly and without any derogatory idea behind it, I got no idea what you mean. Could be we got a language issue here, "stuffing around" is not something I am familiar with. If you mean that we tell people that we are seriously thinking about a new simulator and like to discus that with our customer? Well sure, that's how like it. I mean if you don't like it, simply don't read it! It's not like telling people a new simulator is coming helps us sell what we are doing right now, right?

Let me update you as much as I can. This is a multimillion dollar project and without signed contracts and the marketing girls having done what the like to do my hands are tight. But we made great steps. Money is strangely enough not a major issue, we got some, Aerosoft is a very healthy company. We also got the partner we wanted, if you are going to bump heads with Mama Microsoft you better have some muscle. We also think we know what you, the customer, want. A simulator that is fast, open (fully documented) and above all a solid base for further developments.

Now on to samples shown and links given. We know all those and we smiled a lot about the three days. See we actually USE these kinds of files for the US cities series. Just check Google Earth Building Maker and you got a good idea how these things work. We got similar but professional tools that we use for professional projects. But they are far from anything that could be used in a flight simulator that we need. Believe me we look at all these things, all these engines. all these demos. But when we ask these companies to show something on a round earth, with sight lines of 100 miles, using DX11 and not using more then 30% of resources (we also got to do flight modeling, weather, user interface, online stuff etc etc) you will get a lot less enthusiastic responses. If at all. We spend a whopping lot of money on trying to find what we need and so far it seems it just does not exist (professional sims most certainly can't). So we got to adapt something.

I am sorry you feel 'stuffed around'. But that's all I am willing to say right now.

Mathijs

Your post was all that was required.

Now some of us can make a decision on moving forward.

Allowing in a worst case scenario it could be 2014 I suppose I will have to use FSX for my new Simpit.

Hardly seemed worth the hassle if you had your FS up and running in say 2012

I do hope that your new Sim is all encompassing and Train Sims, Racing Cars, Golf etc blend seamlessly into one huge 3d world.

Tas

Mathijs

I do hope that your new Sim is all encompassing and Train Sims, Racing Cars, Golf etc blend seamlessly into one huge 3d world.

I hope not, i would rather Aerosoft just work on making the absolute best flight sim experience possible, something in the same vein as FSX... but actually works and runs well, and hopefully looks alot prettier also. If you want to drive trains then get a train sim, I think most people would prefer 100% of Aerosofts time and effort be spent on the flight aspects. It is good news to hear from the man himself that this is still going ahed however, i was starting to worry... roll on 2013!!!

• Upvote 2

[Python' date=12 July 2010 - 01:39 AM]

I hope not, i would rather Aerosoft just work on making the absolute best flight sim experience possible, something in the same vein as FSX... but actually works and runs well, and hopefully looks alot prettier also. If you want to drive trains then get a train sim, I think most people would prefer 100% of Aerosofts time and effort be spent on the flight aspects. It is good news to hear from the man himself that this is still going ahed however, i was starting to worry... roll on 2013!!!

[ ]

--------------------------------------------------------

Well if they don't someone in Asia will.

Mathijs

Could you set up a Email Newsletter on progress on FS2012 - 2014.

This is the way a sim should be heading in general

http://www.outerra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=86

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

Outerra who???

This is new Iljushin Sturmovik engine! Oleg Maddox rules!wink.gif

Now to be perfectly honest there is nothing in those screenshots that impresses me. I am sure the real thing will be way better then the 256 color, low res, no shading and no advanced GPU images in that video. If you, frkaipanik, like that as graphics you will be blown away by already released stuff like Rise of Flight.

There is nothing in detail I can say at this moment other then anything we are looking at is a lot better then these screenshots, lol. But there IS movement, loads of people flying to all parts of the world t discuss things.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Mathijs

Your post was all that was required.

Now some of us can make a decision on moving forward.

Allowing in a worst case scenario it could be 2014 I suppose I will have to use FSX for my new Simpit.

Hardly seemed worth the hassle if you had your FS up and running in say 2012

Tas

2012 is out of the question for sure. And to be honest I think a all encompassing sim would never work. But what we do intend to do is make it as open as possible.