Flight Sim Labs, Ltd. FSX Texture Fix Utility

• Aerosoft

Many people know I am not a big fan of tweaks to the fsx.cfg but recent events lead me to change this opinion. Some serious progress seems to have been made and finally there has been some organized testing. My good friend Lefteris also made a small tool that makes setting these changes very easy and removes the secondary problem that some users make tiny mistakes with huge consequences. The file is attached and I insert the text from Leftaris here as he explains it better then I could do. You can find his post here.

======================================================================

Flight Sim Labs, Ltd. FSX Texture Fix Utility v1.0.0.0

Flight Simulator X ONLY

05APR10 READ THIS END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT 1200Z

======================================================================

**EULA IS LOCATED AT END OF THIS MESSAGE**

PLEASE NOTE:

============

1) REVIEW THE SECURITY NOTICE IN THE LICENSE AGREEMENT. This will

prevent you from unwanted legal involvement related to this

utility and Flight Sim Labs Ltd.'s aggressive defense of our digital

property rights.

WHAT DOES THIS UTILITY DO?

==========================

Several customers and FSX users have found that when using 'demanding' add-ons

in their simulator, they would experience 'disappearing' aircraft and scenery

textures which, over time would render their simulator useless. This would

happen at various times, depending on different hardware, but it would be an

irreversible process, requiring users to restart FSX, rendering their simulation

experience very frustrating.

A very dedicated FSX user, Jesus Altuve, found some fsx.cfg undocumented settings

that fix this problem with disappearing textures for the majority of the users

who have tried them.

This "Texture Fix" utility automates these changes in the fsx.cfg configuration

file which FSX users had to perform manually. Namely, it adds two new entries:

[Graphics]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647

which have been found to resolve the disappearing texture problem.

It also allows the rebuilding of the FSX Shader cache folders which enables the

fix to 'take' inside FSX.

Together with these two entries, the FSL Texture Fix utility allows for some

optional edits in the fsx.cfg file, which users have found helpful in increasing

their sim performance. These edits are NOT enabled by default, as the entries

can vary from hardware to hardware. Helpful defaults have been set, however, in case

the user wants to tweak their settings.

NOTE: A Backup fsx.cfg file is made before the utility writes these entries, but

always remember to COPY your original fsx.cfg file elsewhere, if you really want

to ensure that you won't screw something up.

INSTALL NOTES:

==============

You can place this utility in any folder you like and execute it in place.

It should be able to locate your FSX installation and perform its duties

as required.

Note that the utility will output a .log file which you can use for

informational purposes.

UNINSTALL NOTES:

================

If you need to uninstall the FSLTextureFix utility, simply delete it.

There's no uninstallation required.

NEED TECHNICAL SUPPORT?:

========================

This utility is provided with no technical support, as it's released as

a free (but NOT public domain) version.

For discussion on this, you can visit our forums at

http://forums.flightsimlabs.com

HISTORY:

========

v1.0.0.0 - First general Release

================================================================================================

FSL_TextureFix_V1.0.zip

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the heads up Mathijs, and to Jesus, thank you very very much. It seems you will put a smile on quite a few faces.

Finally a tweak that actually works :)

I was disappointed initially, before reading in another forum that the shader folders had to be deleted. So the idea of a small idiot-proof utility to apply all this is really good - at least this idiot would have benefited :lol:

• Upvote 1

Several places in this thread: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=280688&st=160

Post #182, for example talks about it. The FSLabs tool linked at the top handles it.

Tom

Edit: By the way, I have not yet applied any of the optional fixes that the FSLabs tool includes - only the first two (HIGHMEMFIX AND STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD). This seems to be enough to eliminate texture issues on my system.

This is great news. Tried it out on my PC here and I can stated that this tweak takes away a very annoying texture loss that I have experienced on and off for as long as I been on FSX. Many thanks to the guys at FS Labs and to Mathijs for bringing good news :D

• Upvote 1

This was a problem that plagued me for many months and a couple of reinstalls. This fix is wonderful and brings back enjoyment to flying.

• Aerosoft

Bitte deutsch!!!!! Info auf der Startseite steht ja deutsch, aber hier englisch??????????????????????????????

I am sorry Bruno, the news was posted in all the languages we support (English, German, French, Spanish) but this is a message board in the English section. I am sure you can find some info on this on German boards but as so often the news starts in English. And really no need to add 37 question marks, one would have sufficed totally.

• Upvote 2

Would just like to add that a plainly written summary of all the latest information on this topic has been put together by Jesus Altuve and can be found here.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mathijs for this tip, no more disappearing PMDG 747X textures and it eliminates the periodic black boxes around aircraft runway/taxi lighting. :)

Darryl Enault

Aaahhh, now that's a fix I like! I don't have completely disappearing textures, but the periodic black boxes around lights I do have, somewhat annoying while I dare to put my plane on AP and venture outside for some eyecandy.

Will surely test this tonight!

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic improvement to my fps.

I can now run high end aircraft and payware scenery without looking at a slide show. Another 15 fps at least. Thank you so much and thank you to Lefteris. A true 'diamond geezer' in my opinion. ;)

• 1 month later...

A new era for FSX!!!

Tired from FSX, and trying all the tewaks I have gone finding in the internet, I was resigned to fly only FSX standard airplanes in default scenerys, until a miracle occured: I decided to take another look to google, and I found some days ago the tweaks from Jesus Altuve. I was sceptic, but I thougt that months of searching deserved lose a minute to try it... and the light shined to me!!!

Today, continuing searching about Jesus Altuve, I found this post, and I must give many thanks to Mathjis for the post, to Jesus Altuve for being a Genius (perhaps a God) in the FSX world, and to Flight Sim Labs for this simple and great utility (and for the ConcordeX too)... thanks to all of you, and excuse me for my poor english.

Gerardius