ap1190

Aerosoft (DA) CRJ Preview

7308 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, qqwertzde said:

Does the CRJ 900 have an ALTSEL button? I only could find information about the CRJ 200.

Thanks,

Peter 

Nope, luckily not!

Yeah, that ALT SEL was probably just put in there to annoy the pilot. I mean when do you not want to stop at a preselected altitude? Can be a hazard on descent if you're not careful. But I guess every aircraft has its quirks. In the CRJ900 it seems to be the pitch change during power and flap setting changes. It can even be felt from the cabin.

Looking back now I find it rather humorous that in 2011 when I was seriously considering my first home cockpit build that I was actually waiting for this release not having any other decent commercially available option for this beautiful aircraft.  I of course proceeded with my build using another amazing regional jet.  Having a cockpit that looks more like a CRJ and flies like an Embraer is in of itself rather comical to anyone that would know the difference.  I however find it rather endearing now. While I'm completely hooked on the Embraer 175 with all it's bells and whistles that the CRJ lacks (ironically, the very reason the CRJ was my first choice to begin with) I still can't wait for this CRJ to release. Based on the little I've read on these forums of late it doesn't sound like this release is going to be very cockpit builder friendly from a panels perspective anyway. This is unfortunate given the advertised system depth I truly desire. Please correct me if I'm wrong with those assumptions. Regardless, I'll drop some cash for this CRJ out of sheer curiosity and to see if there is any possibility of an integration to my current setup that won't keep me grounded for long.

Respect to everyone involved for the hard work that's been put into this project

Who wants a CRJ home cockpit? Even pilots who love it agree it is a horribly laid out and cramped workplace.

3 hours ago, CRJ900 said:

Yeah, that ALT SEL was probably just put in there to annoy the pilot. I mean when do you not want to stop at a preselected altitude? Can be a hazard on descent if you're not careful. 

Yep, that's why I was asking. Not pushing ALT SEL has happened to me more than once with the Dash 8 :P

Peter

7 hours ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

Before starting to fly the CRJ beta I thought I'd prepare myself by flying another Bombardier plane (aka the Dash 8). Well, let me say that much: I reconned there is a control culomn and there are throttles in this plane, perhaps even flight deck windows and pilot seats.
The rest I had to learn from ground up.

To be fair, both the CRJ and Dash are Bombardier products in name only, with the former being ex-Canadair and the latter being ex-DHC. I'm not sure how much Bombardier had an influence on the design of the second-gen CRJ vs the 100/200 or the Q400 vs the 100/200/300, but I'd assume not that much.

vor 1 hour , richcam427 sagte:

To be fair, both the CRJ and Dash are Bombardier products in name only, with the former being ex-Canadair and the latter being ex-DHC. I'm not sure how much Bombardier had an influence on the design of the second-gen CRJ vs the 100/200 or the Q400 vs the 100/200/300, but I'd assume not that much.

Well, the latest models (Q400 and CRJ NextGen) are somewhat similar when it comes to the AFCS. The avionics providers are quite different, though. Apples and pears, really.

6 hours ago, CRJ900 said:

Yeah, that ALT SEL was probably just put in there to annoy the pilot. I mean when do you not want to stop at a preselected altitude?

Well, I can see sort of a sense in it. For example on a non precision approach if the missed approach altitude is lower than the initial altitude.
If you'd set the missed approach altitude in the MCP or FCU of a Boeing or Airbus you would level off on the descend in V/S mode. If you do not arm ALT SEL in the Dash you'll continue the descent.

With the operator whos procedures I know the standart calls had been modified with the Dash 8. They no longer called "1000ft to level off", but "1000ft to level off, ALT SEL" to cross check it every time.