ap1190

Aerosoft (DA) CRJ Preview (Released)

JRBarrett    154
Let me write some word on the pending release.

Nobody on our side would call this project 'finished' at this moment. But it is 'good enough for release' in our eyes and we feel that the progress towards the 'final' version (if there is ever such a thing) will be faster and more customer orientated with the code on the customer's machines. This is not the same as releasing and using the customers as testers, we very well know what area still need work, but in discussion with the customers it will become more clear what the priorities should be.

Now that sounds a bit 'fuzzy', I agree. What it boils down to is simple however, if you buy now you will get a steady stream of tweaks, fixes and new features over the cause of several weeks. Some people like that a lot, as they see their input being used, others find it highly annoying. The latter group we simply advise to wait a bit and buy the CRJ in two weeks. 

As always we'll be open and honest in discussions about the strengths and weaknesses of this release. As you know it was most certainly not one of our more simple developments and we seriously underestimated the complexity. As time progressed we had to keep up with the steady increase of complexity of add-ons and we were not aiming for a steady target but one that was moving forward all the time. It's like flying a complex aircraft, if you get 'behind the aircraft' it is damned hard to catch up.

Well said!

As a beta tester who has only been involved with the aircraft for a few months, I have seen tremendous improvement in a very short time. When bugs were found, Hans would fix them quickly, and send out program updates for further testing.

I found a discrepancy in how the waypoints were updated on the PROG page in flight. I sent in photos from the real aircraft, demonstrating how the FMS should be formatted, and within two days, Hans had fixed it to correspond exactly to the real thing.

There are a couple of areas that probably need some more "polish", but they are not things which will in any way prevent anyone from flying and enjoying the aircraft.

Unless a customer is a r/w CRJ pilot, I would NOT recommend jumping right on VATSIM/IVAO with this plane. Take some time to practice flying it, and learn some of the peculiarities in how it is operated - peculiarities that exist in the real thing.

There is much less automation in the autopilot and FMS. This is not like a 737 or 777 or Airbus, where a pilot can engage the AP at 400 feet AGL, and not touch the controls again until disconnecting the AP just before landing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 4

kityatyi1    51
2 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

Well said!

As a beta tester who has only been involved with the aircraft for a few months, I have seen tremendous improvement in a very short time. When bugs were found, Hans would fix them quickly, and send out program updates for further testing.

I found a discrepancy in how the waypoints were updated on the PROG page in flight. I sent in photos from the real aircraft, demonstrating how the FMS should be formatted, and within two days, Hans had fixed it to correspond exactly to the real thing.

There are a couple of areas that probably need some more "polish", but they are not things which will in any way prevent anyone from flying and enjoying the aircraft.

Unless a customer is a r/w CRJ pilot, I would NOT recommend jumping right on VATSIM/IVAO with this plane. Take some time to practice flying it, and learn some of the peculiarities in how it is operated - peculiarities that exist in the real thing.

There is much less automation in the autopilot and FMS. This is not like a 737 or 777 or Airbus, where a pilot can engage the AP at 400 feet AGL, and not touch the controls again until disconnecting the AP just before landing...

Having several hundreds of hours on the Majestic Dash 8 (Pilot and Pro editions together) I find the CRJ  relatively easy-to-master aircraft so those who flew the Q400 will find many similarities. Those who never ever got their hands on other than Boeing or Airbus or are simply new to any sort of complex aircraft simulations - may however find it a somewhat steeper learning curve but still nothing to worry about. I am sure the manual will answer any questions and will give clear and concise instructions on how to operate this jet.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

JRBarrett    154

There is a good step-by-step tutorial, and good documentation that will come with the aircraft.

• Upvote 3

Mathijs Kok    22721

Indeed, indeed!

It's not a overly complex aircraft to fly (fully manually it is even easy) but if you only flown Boeing or Airbus many find a lot of things that are done different. It will be a learning curve.

• Upvote 4

Hightower    156
39 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

For any given aircraft weight and altitude there will be a "sweet spot" N1 that will keep your speed constant. It does depend to some extent on whether your hardware throttles are well calibrated and free of "noise".

Regarding the throttles... This may be an issue for users with all the variable joystick throttle combos out there. My ol X52 is kinda noisy in the throttle, so perhaps there is a null setting within the aircraft settings? 

Not sure I understand why Bombardier did not use A/T in this aircraft. There were plenty aircraft using A/T at the time it came out. Im sure there is some valid reason. 

The countdown is really on this time!

Anders Bermann    506
4 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Indeed, indeed!

It's not a overly complex aircraft to fly (fully manually it is even easy) but if you only flown Boeing or Airbus many find a lot of things that are done different. It will be a learning curve.

Quite interesting. Can't wait to get started...

How's the FMC (or whatever it's called) in comparisson? Similar to the (quirks/eccentricities/weirdness) of the Dash-8 FMC?

colabox    0

Im curious. With no CRJ profile in neither PFPX or TOPCAT, how should i plan a flight regarding fuel etc?

• Upvote 1

Mathijs Kok    22721
2 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Quite interesting. Can't wait to get started...

How's the FMC (or whatever it's called) in comparisson? Similar to the (quirks/eccentricities/weirdness) of the Dash-8 FMC?

Yes, very similar.

• Upvote 1

iccowan    66
Just now, colabox said:

Im curious. With no CRJ profile in neither PFPX or TOPCAT, how should i plan a flight regarding fuel etc?

Good ole pen, paper, and performance charts. 

• Upvote 1

Lucas_me    6
16 minutes ago, colabox said:

Just use SimBrief while you wait. They have a CRJ-700 and CRJ-900 profile.

• Upvote 3

kityatyi1    51
17 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Like real pilots do!  But keep in mind that where simmers often only take the fuel for a single trip, real aircraft often fly several trips on one fuel load. That might be because fuel is expensive where they are going or turn around times are short. I often do not bother a lot, just load 75% and that is in now way unrealistic.

Or use the profile we included.

Exactly. That is what we always do. We often fuel up for 3 out of four sectors, depending on actual fuel prices which is monitored and evaluated daily. Sometimes we do fuel after each leg but most of the time a multi-leg fuelling is done, picking up "gas" where it is cheapest.

Frank Docter    3795
Just now, Thismaycontainuts said:

If you haven't changed your mind about the EFB, will it be with the aircraft on release?

Now where did that come from?

JRBarrett    154
If you haven't changed your mind about the EFB, will it be with the aircraft on release?

There is an EFB-style control unit adjacent to the pilot and copilot called "Dave", that does many things. It allows you to set aircraft options, such as weights in pounds or KG, temperatures in C or F, Pressure in in/hg or HPA, single or dual cue flight director.

You can use it to load passengers, fuel and cargo, and calculate V speeds based on current gross weight, to open and close entrance and cargo doors, connect and disconnect external power and air etc.

It also contains checklists for preflight, taxi, takeoff, landing and postflight.

But it is not an "EFB" in the sense of holding approach charts or enroute charts like the Aivlasoft product.

• Upvote 1

AV8R Arky    5

I made an account here just to say thank you! I remember when this was first announced. Long time simmer, became a real world pilot four years ago. Hoping to fly the 700/900 next year at the regionals and this will definitely be a HUGE help to get ahead of the game while I continue building time.

• Upvote 3

a2h    6

Now I am sincerely psyched  WOW  can't wait to check this bird out and butter the bread. Got several loadsheets in the oven YEAH

• Upvote 1