ap1190

Aerosoft (DA) CRJ Preview (Released)

57 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

If Frank is gonna be the pilot, then I'm not boarding!

I would fly anytime with the most experienced pilot on base. ;) 

• Upvote 4

Will the digital version of the CRJ be in the Aerosoft shop same as the boxed one or is there a seperate product page?

Guys, please wait a little bit until the product is available for purchase on the shop. The price and page question will answer themselves then automatically. 

One thing that should really be commended is simultaneous platform release. Personally I find it annoying that certain other releases go for the very aged and much less used FSX first and the P3D version a considerable time after. Just doesnt make sense to do that anymore in 2017

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Hightower said:

One thing that should really be commended is simultaneous platform release. Personally I find it annoying that certain other releases go for the very aged and much less used FSX first and the P3D version a considerable time after. Just doesnt make sense to do that anymore in 2017

Couldn't agree more! It's annoying, and I'm very pleased that Aerosoft are releasing it simultaneous.

Fantastic work!

5 minutes ago, Hightower said:

I imagine that because any complex addon would have been started quite some time ago, the FSX builds are probably ahead of the P3D versions which would have been started later into the project rather than any deliberate decision to delay the P3D release

For projects started more recently I'd think you're almost certainly going to start seeing more simultaneous releases since they'll have taken P3D into account from day 1.

7 minutes ago, Hightower said:

Athough im inclined to agree with you, it's been stated here and on other forums that a majority of users are still on FSX. Where it's the core platform (well ESP is anyways) behind P3D and it is far less stable than Prepar3d it makes sense to me that if you get it working right in FSX it should run like a Ferrari in P3D.

As we know, a majority of the biggest scenery makers have abandoned FSX all together (much to Mathis' displeasure) so I would say you'll see a shift in that trend.

• Upvote 2

Wow I am so excited now. 

But I have a question. I ordered the CRJ back in April (Pre-Order). Will I be able to download it once released, or do I need to wait for the Box to ship? 

I mean I live a few minutes away from Paderborn so I think I would be quicker picking it up myself than waiting for DHL. :hahaha_s:

• Upvote 2

On 4/4/2010 at 3:14 PM, ap1190 said:

Hi,

I read that Digital Aviation is closing down, but support for the CRJ will be on these forums.

Since it has not yet been completed, does that mean Aerosoft is going to complete it?

Thanks

And this is how it all started 7 years ago... The above post is the very first post in the CRJ story!

• Upvote 2

vor 32 Minuten, Hans Hartmann sagte: After all, I think the CRJ has turned out to be a nicely detailed product which will be fun to use - once you got the hang of the CRJ specials (for example having to switch the nav source from FMS to VOR/LOC before hitting that APPR button). You can also trust Jim Barrett's evaluation of the product here. He was one of the beta testers and also works on CRJs in real life.

And one sure can feel that @JRBarrett knows what he is talking about. Thank you for the great explanation about the peculiarities of the CRJ, Jim! Mathijs explained them here before, but that was many months ago and I have to admit that I didn't understand all of them right away. Now I finally did - and I'm looking very much forward to experience those peculiarities "in person" (albeit only in a virtual plane)!

And just to add a bit to my earlier "swooning over the CRJ" post: For my last two flights on Lufthansa's CRJ-900s, I had seats in the plane's aft section, near the engines. It's almost deafening for a few seconds when they start up and produce that deep bass growl during the start of combustion - just amazing, since you never experience such an intense growl in planes that have their engines fixed to the wing as opposed to the fuselage! And no, I don't expect that sound in the cockpit of your CRJ.

And I also have a question for you, @JRBarrett: You mentioned that one has to manually control the thrust in the CRJ during cruise. The thrust changes are usually only very minimal, right (unless there are abrupt wind changes)? Because I was surprised that even despite manual thrust control, one could hardly ever hear noticeable thrust changes during cruise in my real life CRJ flights as a passenger. I guess that as soon as I control the thrust of "my" Aerosoft CRJ during cruise or descent, I will have difficulties to not push or pull the thrust lever too far. I suppose one has to have very fine motor skills in order to apply the only minimal thrust changes needed.

It depends how picky you are about maintaining your speed precisely to a gnat's eyelash. One of the VA's I fly for has an ACARS program that squawks if you don't hold your Mach to within .02, so I tend to be somewhat on the picky side

For any given aircraft weight and altitude there will be a "sweet spot" N1 that will keep your speed constant. It does depend to some extent on whether your hardware throttles are well calibrated and free of "noise".

I will say that Hans did an excellent job on the engine sync. Some add-ons have an N1/N2 sync switch that is only "eye candy". On this CRJ, the sync really does work, and works well. If I want to make a very small thrust change - say from 80.2 to 80.4 N1, I will bump up just one throttle a tiny bit,and the other engine will follow after a couple of seconds.

If you don't have hardware throttles, the F1,2,3and 4 keys work to adjust thrust.

The FADEC makes thrust control easy in climbs, You will start out at TOGA on takeoff, then throttle back to CLB at about 1500 feet AGL, then leave it there until you level off.

Using r/w weather injection, where upper winds can vary, will require more power adjustments in cruise than running with the default Clear theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me write some word on the pending release.

Nobody on our side would call this project 'finished' at this moment. But it is 'good enough for release' in our eyes and we feel that the progress towards the 'final' version (if there is ever such a thing) will be faster and more customer orientated with the code on the customer's machines. This is not the same as releasing and using the customers as testers, we very well know what area still need work, but in discussion with the customers it will become more clear what the priorities should be.

Now that sounds a bit 'fuzzy', I agree. What it boils down to is simple however, if you buy now you will get a steady stream of tweaks, fixes and new features over the cause of several weeks. Some people like that a lot, as they see their input being used, others find it highly annoying. The latter group we simply advise to wait a bit and buy the CRJ in two weeks. 

As always we'll be open and honest in discussions about the strengths and weaknesses of this release. As you know it was most certainly not one of our more simple developments and we seriously underestimated the complexity. As time progressed we had to keep up with the steady increase of complexity of add-ons and we were not aiming for a steady target but one that was moving forward all the time. It's like flying a complex aircraft, if you get 'behind the aircraft' it is damned hard to catch up.

Well said!

As a beta tester who has only been involved with the aircraft for a few months, I have seen tremendous improvement in a very short time. When bugs were found, Hans would fix them quickly, and send out program updates for further testing.

I found a discrepancy in how the waypoints were updated on the PROG page in flight. I sent in photos from the real aircraft, demonstrating how the FMS should be formatted, and within two days, Hans had fixed it to correspond exactly to the real thing.

There are a couple of areas that probably need some more "polish", but they are not things which will in any way prevent anyone from flying and enjoying the aircraft.

Unless a customer is a r/w CRJ pilot, I would NOT recommend jumping right on VATSIM/IVAO with this plane. Take some time to practice flying it, and learn some of the peculiarities in how it is operated - peculiarities that exist in the real thing.

There is much less automation in the autopilot and FMS. This is not like a 737 or 777 or Airbus, where a pilot can engage the AP at 400 feet AGL, and not touch the controls again until disconnecting the AP just before landing...

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

Well said!

As a beta tester who has only been involved with the aircraft for a few months, I have seen tremendous improvement in a very short time. When bugs were found, Hans would fix them quickly, and send out program updates for further testing.

I found a discrepancy in how the waypoints were updated on the PROG page in flight. I sent in photos from the real aircraft, demonstrating how the FMS should be formatted, and within two days, Hans had fixed it to correspond exactly to the real thing.

There are a couple of areas that probably need some more "polish", but they are not things which will in any way prevent anyone from flying and enjoying the aircraft.

Unless a customer is a r/w CRJ pilot, I would NOT recommend jumping right on VATSIM/IVAO with this plane. Take some time to practice flying it, and learn some of the peculiarities in how it is operated - peculiarities that exist in the real thing.

There is much less automation in the autopilot and FMS. This is not like a 737 or 777 or Airbus, where a pilot can engage the AP at 400 feet AGL, and not touch the controls again until disconnecting the AP just before landing...

Having several hundreds of hours on the Majestic Dash 8 (Pilot and Pro editions together) I find the CRJ  relatively easy-to-master aircraft so those who flew the Q400 will find many similarities. Those who never ever got their hands on other than Boeing or Airbus or are simply new to any sort of complex aircraft simulations - may however find it a somewhat steeper learning curve but still nothing to worry about. I am sure the manual will answer any questions and will give clear and concise instructions on how to operate this jet.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

There is a good step-by-step tutorial, and good documentation that will come with the aircraft.

• Upvote 3

Indeed, indeed!

It's not a overly complex aircraft to fly (fully manually it is even easy) but if you only flown Boeing or Airbus many find a lot of things that are done different. It will be a learning curve.

• Upvote 4