ap1190

Aerosoft (DA) CRJ Preview (Released)

Canuckshaw    0

Guys, if this is done right, and I'm sure it has been, you are going to make a mint. TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

I can hardly wait to start painting it! Please please please have a proper paint kit included. Did I say, please?

richcam427    134
1 minute ago, Canuckshaw said:

Guys, if this is done right, and I'm sure it has been, you are going to make a mint. TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

I can hardly wait to start painting it! Please please please have a proper paint kit included. Did I say, please?

Only if you say please. ^_^

• Upvote 2

Clorix    6
2 hours ago, Hans Hartmann said:

I sent the final files to AS today. We're going to test the final installer tomorrow. Release will be tomorrow late afternoon (EU TZ) earliest but more likely Wednesday morning.

f17ff7c5ef2b35e22d4df1d255bdf97bacd5fce6feffa4a0aeafe1cff9e2e39f.jpg

• Upvote 3

kityatyi1    51
20 minutes ago, richcam427 said:

From a tester's standpoint, I believe was developed in mind with the FSUIPC ground friction tweak which no longer works (yet.)

...which means it comes with the buggy default ground physics... Disappointing.

• Downvote 5

007    77

Wait.....what!  Can't believe it's actually happening. The culmination of 6 years.....and it's finally here. Can't believe I'm about to say this....

....I love you Hans! I love you aerosoft. You are my hero!.....

chairman    2

1 hour ago, kityatyi1 said:

...which means it comes with the buggy default ground physics... Disappointing.

I believe Hans has made it as good as it can be made. Found this in about 10 seconds with a thread search, although knowing it was there to be searched for helped :)  The conversation is somewhere around page 330, search for friction table.

On 18/07/2017 at 7:57 PM, Hans Hartmann said:

There is no such thing as a ground friction model in FSX or P3D. The best you can do is use the friction table function that Pete Dowson introduced in FSUIPC on my request a while ago. But this is a hack and it's only available in FSUIPC 4 but not in FSUIPC 5. So, the ground handling is as good as it gets if you have FSUIPC 4. There's nothing we can do about P3D v4 though. Lockheed Martin may give us documented SDK access to the friction table at some point, but when and if, is totally up to them.

seafox    5
46 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

Keep in mind that the real CRJ is considerably less complex than a 737/747/777 - especially its FMS and autopilot. There are no autothrottles - climbs are performed in IAS mode with FADEC limiting thrust and speed controlled by pitch. On a warm day, with a heavy load, the aircraft is not not a "high performance sports car" by any means - though definitely a better performer than the CRJ-200

Cruise and descent require the pilot to manage thrust manually, and monitor it continuously. Don't expect to be able to leave the flight deck while in cruise for a protracted break as you could with more advanced types with autothrottles and full VNAV.

The FMS is rather basic in its modes (in the real aircraft). VNAV is "advisory" only, and is really only used during descent. You can see if you are above or below your desired descent profile, but managing that profile is up to the pilot, using thrust and V/S intervention if need be.

In other words, the pilot has to think ahead of the aircraft much more than in more advanced types. Complex STAR arrivals with multiple speed and altitude constraints require constant pilot attention - especially when winds aloft are part of the equation - you can't just dial down the altitude upon reaching TOD and relax while the autopilot does everything.

There are no auto brakes, and thrust reversers have to be manually armed before landing or they will not deploy when called for.

Yaw dampers and mach trim have to be manually selected "on" before takeoff or the autopilot won't engage, or won't function correctly.

I think that all onboard systems are accurately modeled. You probably won't find extensive failure modeling as you would with a typical PMDG product, but if you were to use a real CRJ POH to perform all the various system tests that would be required on the first flight of the day, you would probably find that said systems respond exactly as they would in the real aircraft.

(Or so I'm told emoji12.png)

The real CRJ has some system peculiarities that might be mis-identified as "bugs" by those new to the aircraft.

Turning on either electric fuel boost pump also automatically turns on the opposite side boost pump - but you need to insure that both switches are depressed before engine start or you will see CAS error messages.

There are no fewer than 4 auxiliary electric hydraulic pumps - 3 of which have both a manual and automatic mode of operation. These have to be set properly before takeoff.

The APU master switch only lights up if there is a fault. After pressing it, you have to monitor the system synoptic display to see if the APU is ready to start.

One system in the real CRJ 700/900 is actually MORE advanced than (say) the 737, and that is bleed air management. Packs will automatically go offline during an engine start, and come back on after the start is complete. APU and engine bleed air valves automatically sequence open and closed at the proper time without pilot intervention. In that regard, the CRJ is more like a 777.

Yes, I want to see all of this in the sim.  I really hope 6 years of Development - we get something which equally competes with PMDG  or Majestic Q400.  Realistic as it gets.  I just do not want some "lite" or "semi-complex" addon.

CRJ is my fav plane to fly as a passenger in in real life.

iccowan    66

After so long it's complete! I guess we'll get ready for 99.99% of the aircraft on VATSIM to be CRJ's starting in a day or two. :lol:

• Upvote 1

kityatyi1    51
12 minutes ago, seafox said:

Yes, I want to see all of this in the sim.  I really hope 6 years of Development - we get something which equally competes with PMDG  or Majestic Q400.  Realistic as it gets.  I just do not want some "lite" or "semi-complex" addon.

CRJ is my fav plane to fly as a passenger in in real life.

Without improvements in the ground physics (see newest PMDG aircraft, FSLabs A320, Majestic Q400, A2A) it's just an average stuff in my eyes. I am disappointed that this has not been improved on when other developers managed to successfully overcome the same limitations. Especially that we are talking about an extremely long development cycle. This makes it a no-go for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

JRBarrett    154
After so long it's complete! I guess we'll get ready for 99.99% of the aircraft on VATSIM to be CRJ's starting in a day or two. :lol:

That's highly likely. Also highly likely that we will probably see some rather "unusual" flight paths as pilots new to the "CRJ way of doing things" get used to operating the aircraft in an online environment.

It is NOT as easy to fly as a fully automated aircraft like the 737/747 - the pilot workload is going to be higher - especially in the descent and approach phases.

It hand-flys beautifully by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

JRBarrett    154
I was a CRJ 700/900 mechanic for a few years and have been waiting for this for so long! Finally!

If you are familiar with the real aircraft and systems, you won't be disappointed!

• Upvote 1

mach533x    28
1 minute ago, JRBarrett said:

If you are familiar with the real aircraft and systems, you won't be disappointed!

JUST WHAT I WANTED!!!! YES!!!! 

gjharrall    34

It would appear those being familiar with the Q400 operation will be further ahead of the game than many of the big jet jockeys.

so I'm happy :)......

• Upvote 2

steve dra    199

Hmmm...I better think of some of the paints I may do on her since she seems to be right around the corner.;)   I've done Frontier's tails pretty successfully in the past on the 'Bus....

frogR2.thumb.jpg.b57db58dbd0e28bb07e7950c57de3850.jpg

maybe this should be my 1st CRJ?

597fe0be735bd_CRJFrontier01.thumb.jpg.7149612c86095b373a4d85d97c4fbc5c.jpg

It's going to be a bear lining up that eagle, hehe.  And its on the inside of the winglet...which is tricky as well.  Oh well.....whoever said painting was easy? :wacko:

• Upvote 2

JRBarrett    154
It would appear those being familiar with the Q400 operation will be further ahead of the game than many of the big jet jockeys.

so I'm happy :)......

Probably a fair assessment - especially in the need to manage cruise speed and descents manually.

The FMS is more "jet like" than the Universal UNS-1 found on the Q400 - less of a learning curve will be required for those used to the FMS in other jet aircraft.

joedepaola    31

I'm sorry but can everyone take a second to realize after years and years of development the plane we have admired so much is finally coming out. I just want to give a huge round of applause or what ever you do through the internet to the team who have put so much into this plane. Thank you guys so much, keep up the great work, and I can't wait for tomorrow! :clapping_s::clapping_s::clapping_s:

• Upvote 4

Anders Bermann    506
4 hours ago, Allbakedout said:

Wow, didn't expect to see that announcement... I can't wait!!! How much will this be expected to cost? (Sorry too lazy to search)

Well - you could just read the whole thread again? :D

3 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

Keep in mind that the real CRJ is considerably less complex than a 737/747/777 - especially its FMS and autopilot. There are no autothrottles - climbs are performed in IAS mode with FADEC limiting thrust and speed controlled by pitch. On a warm day, with a heavy load, the aircraft is not not a "high performance sports car" by any means - though definitely a better performer than the CRJ-200

Cruise and descent require the pilot to manage thrust manually, and monitor it continuously. Don't expect to be able to leave the flight deck while in cruise for a protracted break as you could with more advanced types with autothrottles and full VNAV.

The FMS is rather basic in its modes (in the real aircraft). VNAV is "advisory" only, and is really only used during descent. You can see if you are above or below your desired descent profile, but managing that profile is up to the pilot, using thrust and V/S intervention if need be.

In other words, the pilot has to think ahead of the aircraft much more than in more advanced types. Complex STAR arrivals with multiple speed and altitude constraints require constant pilot attention - especially when winds aloft are part of the equation - you can't just dial down the altitude upon reaching TOD and relax while the autopilot does everything.

There are no auto brakes, and thrust reversers have to be manually armed before landing or they will not deploy when called for.

Yaw dampers and mach trim have to be manually selected "on" before takeoff or the autopilot won't engage, or won't function correctly.

I think that all onboard systems are accurately modeled. You probably won't find extensive failure modeling as you would with a typical PMDG product, but if you were to use a real CRJ POH to perform all the various system tests that would be required on the first flight of the day, you would probably find that said systems respond exactly as they would in the real aircraft.

(Or so I'm told emoji12.png)

The real CRJ has some system peculiarities that might be mis-identified as "bugs" by those new to the aircraft.

Turning on either electric fuel boost pump also automatically turns on the opposite side boost pump - but you need to insure that both switches are depressed before engine start or you will see CAS error messages.

There are no fewer than 4 auxiliary electric hydraulic pumps - 3 of which have both a manual and automatic mode of operation. These have to be set properly before takeoff.

The APU master switch only lights up if there is a fault. After pressing it, you have to monitor the system synoptic display to see if the APU is ready to start.

One system in the real CRJ 700/900 is actually MORE advanced than (say) the 737, and that is bleed air management. Packs will automatically go offline during an engine start, and come back on after the start is complete. APU and engine bleed air valves automatically sequence open and closed at the proper time without pilot intervention. In that regard, the CRJ is more like a 777.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight... Is it similar to the Dash-8 then?

harrry    4

Shall we take votes on what late aircraft we will complain about now.

Seems it will be a good addition to the sim