ap1190

Aerosoft (DA) CRJ Preview (Released)

dawgfan58    26

Hey there... you know I sometimes step out of the role of an Aerosoft employee and try to write what has been happening behind the scenes. Always seem to happen as the last thing before I close down with a glass of wine. Well it is 19:00, I opened a bottle of local wine and here is one of those posts. 

This sunday I was going over the open issues on this project and tried to separate the fluff from the stuff that can be done in a fix and the stuff that simply needs to be fixed. Digging deeper into the last category I (we) saw that it was mostly FMS stuff. Now we learned from the Bus projects these are by far the most tricky. Honestly thousands of hours have been poured into the Bus navigation systems and we still find issues (to our defence, we now think our ND shows as many weird procedures as the real one does). Fixing these issues as they are detected is often trivial, testing them is not. Rather often a fix can cause new issues and you need to fly dozens of approaches to test a fix. It really is often a 10 min fix followed by a 3 hour test (and repeat, and repeat and....). We might get the code right on time, but there is no way we could get it tested in time. 

There is also the issue of burning down people. In these last stages of a project many of the people involved work nearly non stop. For sure Hans Hartmann (for the systems etc) does. And that's okay and normal. As long as you got a finish line in sight, you can work that hard, 80 hour weeks are standard. But add a few days to that finish line and you risk that people run simply out of energy. I am the project manager and it seems to be my responsibility to keep the people involved alive as well. So we put the release countdown on hold. And I posted it expecting a lot of comments. Imagine my surprise it all remained very calm!

So where are we now? Close, very close. But not ready.

No problem. When people are tired that is when mistakes happen. Rome was not built in a day. 

• Upvote 1

DetCord    1519

Just putting this out there and perhaps im very wrong, but isnt the best way to test test test repeat repeat repeat, is by putting out there as a release with hundreds of people using it?  Any reasonable person should know that no software is perfect on release and to expect bugs. In theory this seems to be a much more efficient way of squashing  bugs or finding out what it did or did not do. Will it cause some issues with some buyers? Ya of course because there will always always be whiners to nitpick of every little thing. I would like to think that the majority are reasonable and patient.

I remember PFPX went on and on trying to get it perfect which will never happen. Now look at how many updates have been released since. Could say similar with the buses. So perhaps the question is where do you draw the line that its 'ready' for public release. Im sure you being a very experienced project manager know the answer, I just thought I would make a suggestion to make it easier on the team members which may perhaps ease the tension and pressure to find the bugs and not work 80+ hours.

Very reminiscent of the Battlefield 4 Alpha and Beta tests. Unlike Aerosoft and the FS genre as a whole, they had somewhere in the neighborhood of 8000 testers working for and with them. I remember they had something like 8000 bug reports, lots of duplicates and triplicates etc, and around 900+ verified glitches and bugs. They fixed those issues prior to release. However, they're still patching that game to this day. Point is, no matter the amount of testers and time applied, you would never be able to weed out every issue. It's near a mathematical impossibility to replicate, reproduce, and initiate every possible instance and nuanced encounter or bug one might have. Until, well, you actually experience it.

It's one thing I've never quite understood about the FS community as whole. It's like everyone expects something to be perfect out the door. And truth is, that's just not how it works in the software development world. Not at all.

• Upvote 4

lolocool16    22

Very reminiscent of the Battlefield 4 Alpha and Beta tests. Unlike Aerosoft and the FS genre as a whole, they had somewhere in the neighborhood of 8000 testers working for and with them. I remember they had something like 8000 bug reports, lots of duplicates and triplicates etc, and around 900+ verified glitches and bugs. They fixed those issues prior to release. However, they're still patching that game to this day. Point is, no matter the amount of testers and time applied, you would never be able to weed out every issue. It's near a mathematical impossibility to replicate, reproduce, and initiate every possible instance and nuanced encounter or bug one might have. Until, well, you actually experience it.

It's one thing I've never quite understood about the FS community as whole. It's like everyone expects something to be perfect out the door. And truth is, that's just not how it works in the software development world. Not at all.

Finally someone who understand my point of view, may be have no pro, but we will be there to help you.

made your exit planned for September 30, emplus on the social network, everyone speaks of this release of September 30, imagined the numbers of buyers waiting since spring 2015, his talk, his'll talk.

It is big time so that this plane and that all users exactly make you go up errors.

you will look a thing, any online games, there are still patches for improved, like the Airbus A318 - A319 -A320 - A321, you are in a version 1.30 with quite a hotfix, and the user is not happy? on the contrary he is happy there's more to being a days the aircraft works perfectly.

best regards

Paul Golding    138

Paul you need to get back to work on your 727 , I miss it.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Denver; 727; very late nights.......all seems so very long ago now.  Most people here won't have a clue what you're talking about:(

Funnily enough though, I had a lengthy chat with Hans when we were at the Aerosoft FSConference in Paderborn a couple of years ago.  The end result was that he said he was willing to do one more product after the CRJ and that he even felt he would be able to get Stefan (big list of Aerosoft add-ons including the CRJ) to do the 3d modelling! 

Sadly, I think Hans expected the CRJ to be finished in summer 13 and the offer to help with the 727 was at least partly influenced by some German beer. On the plus side, all of the original 727 gauge code was passed on to Hans, so never say never.

EDIT: Only just noticed I have a Beta Tester banner..........wonder how long that's been there?

jeffg    4

Paul,

Denver was so much fun and yes it was long ago. I had some great talks with Tom ,very sorry to see him gone. The United training center was such a great experince. Your 727 has been the best modelled Three Holer thats been on the market. The only reason to reinstall FS2004 is to fly the 727. I hope all is well with you, I just past the 3000 hr mark not bad for a 61 yr old guy and a offer from SkyWest.

Regards,

Jeff

baldk9    29

I hope we don't get into mode of conversation of "releaseitis". This product has been under development for over 4 years and, as they say, "there is is light at the end of the tunnel". Trust I am not the most patient person and waiting for this A/C to be released, is like being a kid on Christmas Eve. Finish it and finish it properly, I can wait till the banana ripens.

• Upvote 1

ASQ4685    19

okey what about fs2crew? i asked here if they where going to develop a copilot/checklist function like AS- a318 to 21  and Mathijs told us that he will talk to fs2crew team: Anything new about this?

When they know they will announce it here. Everyone is more keen on getting this finished and released at the moment. 

Jetwings32    29

Someone on facebook I thought I read, where the plane not be ready, but I thought I read, where the manual is ready & that we could download it & read about our CRJ ahead of time while we wait for problem to be fixed by maintenance.. 

Mako1    21

End of Sep really snuck up but this is one end of the month bill I won't mind paying. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

jencas    48

Someone on facebook I thought I read, where the plane not be ready, but I thought I read, where the manual is ready & that we could download it & read about our CRJ ahead of time while we wait for problem to be fixed by maintenance.. 

For Volume 1 of the manual take a look at http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/33966-aerosoft-da-crj-preview/&page=190#comment-704165

ASQ4685    19

If you need man hours on just doing procedural stuff, I'd love to help with the beta. I'm a real life RJ pilot and would love to put my long overnights to good use.

Just out of curiosity, how do you fit you Sim setup in your crew bag?

Go a few pages on this forum back and you will find them......

Just out of curiosity, how do you fit you Sim setup in your crew bag?

I don't go crazy, I'm mainly a mouse pilot when I keep it low key - I've actually gotten quite good with it (getting ready for that call to fly the 'bus ;) ) - but I can squeeze in a joystick, if I need to, as I've learned to pack light; especially when I don't feel particularly keen on working out :) 

gmoneyprs    184

If you need man hours on just doing procedural stuff, I'd love to help with the beta. I'm a real life RJ pilot and would love to put my long overnights to good use.

I too am a real life flight sim pilot and I would also like to get the product before anyone else even though I have no beta testing experience and would have no idea how to provide thoughtful, actionable assistance.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8