ATC recording of Heathrow Crash

777cpt

I found this video last month, It's the actual ATC recording of the British Airways 777-200ER (G-YMMM)

Callsign "Speedbird 038" Approaching runway 27L & subsequently crashing after both engines failed at 600ft

A testament to the achievements of the crew on board flight BA038 and the Air Traffic Controller in early January 2008,

as well as the emergency services for their quick response.

Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJeEl0-1sjM

• Upvote 1

Ive just finished my ATPL's and we covered this a bit in the Operations section of the course. Dont you think its strange how the callsign is Speedbird 038 and yet the mayday call was issued as Speedbird 95? Also why can we hear on some of the recordings the Captain issuing the emergency evac order? This should not of been heard as it is an internal call inside the aircraft so why was it broadcast on the ATC freq? Something for us to think about hey!?

Richard

• Upvote 1

Ive just finished my ATPL's and we covered this a bit in the Operations section of the course. Dont you think its strange how the callsign is Speedbird 038 and yet the mayday call was issued as Speedbird 95? Also why can we hear on some of the recordings the Captain issuing the emergency evac order? This should not of been heard as it is an internal call inside the aircraft so why was it broadcast on the ATC freq? Something for us to think about hey!?

Richard

I did a quick google and someone mentioned that the pilots next flight would be Speedbird 95. I think you could tell that the pilot was understandably shaken, which led to the wrong callsign being used and broadcasting the evac on the ATC freq instead of the internal freq.

I did a quick google and someone mentioned that the pilots next flight would be Speedbird 95. I think you could tell that the pilot was understandably shaken, which led to the wrong callsign being used and broadcasting the evac on the ATC freq instead of the internal freq.

Oh yeah dont get me wrong, at the end of the day these guys saved all the passengers from what could have been a lot worse. As it turns out Speedbird 95 is the callsign used when in the simulators practicing emergencies apparently

Richard

No worries, not got you wrong smile.gif

I did see the bit about Speedbird 95 being used in training. Makes sense in an emergency that the pilot would revert to training, especially under stress.

Good video, I was suprised at how calm the tone of the ATCO remained, very level and very clear.

Chris