Aktivesky Advanced

SpitfireXIV

Hello simers. Has anyone tried to soaring with Aktivesky advanced in the FS2004? I think the genereted thermals and Hang winds ist tis correct? But have the thermals Cumulus Clods? Thanks for answers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello simers. Has anyone tried to soaring with Aktivesky advanced in the FS2004? I think the genereted thermals and Hang winds ist tis correct? But have the thermals Cumulus Clods? Thanks for answers.

Hi,

I am using active sky advanced with FSX and it is in my opinion not suitable for soaring. The generated thermals and ridge lift are too weak for a glider.

What you can do in ASA is set up thermals at defined locations (house thermals).

What I do sometimes is use ASA with CumulusX (I think there is also a version for FS2004)- this way you can have real weather with ASA and have Cumulus generate the thermals.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Manuel

The generated thermals and ridge lift are too weak for a glider.

What you can do in ASA is set up thermals at defined locations (house thermals).

Thanks for this Manuel - I've wondered about the thermals/ridge in ActiveSky - there's very little documentation about those capabilities. Does the ridge lift actually work *at all* ?? To do this you need to monitor the wind and the terrain and affect the user aircraft accordingly and I just doubt it that has been programmed into activesky - it would be easy to test - is there a strong updraft when you fly along e.g. the Appalachian ridges with the wind from the NW ?

B21