Problem with Instrument of DHC-2 Beaver X for fs9

OSE388 Bruno

Guest Hodge001

Hi

This particular subject was brought up In a previous post, and other than you changing the actual gauges for more up to date versions, with higher refresh rates and a higher resolution, which is entirely possible, I’m afraid that with this aircraft as good as she is being a little shall we say long in the tooth (both the real aircraft and Aerosofts rendition of it) that I can’t really see this project being revisited any time soon, you never know though, but I doubt it..

I know that this is not what you wanted to hear, but if you do decide to have a go at changing out the gauges, let me know if you hit any problems and I will try my best to help out, as I did do a quick experiment on changing the gauges for the previous poster on the forum, and may even still have the modified panel somewhere on my system if it helps.

Sorry that it’s not better news.

Jim Hodkinson

Guest Hodge001

Hi again

Do I have a solution, if by that you mean do I have a replacement / modified panel then yes I did do one for the previous poster on this subject, I can’t remember which particular version it was for (I have just seen the post it was the modern panel), but I would not be to difficult to find or remake the panel.

Is it a particular version of the Beaver that you are interested in modifying, or would you want all the versions.

Anyway here is a link to the previous post I mentioned, have a look at the modified panel to see if that is something like what you would want, the mod is not carved in stone, if you wanted anything changing, adding or removing it shouldn’t be a problem.

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=29482&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Jim Hodkinson

Guest Hodge001

Hi again

I was just rethinking this, and I really don’t know if this could be a little better, I have managed to make the old style beaver panel instruments a little bit brighter, but the modern cockpit is another story as some of the instrumentation is Microsoft Gauges with a resolution of 100 x 100, as opposed to Aerosofts gauges which are at 512 x 512, which basically means that the Microsoft gauges can’t be worked on to any real effect.

Here is a screen shot of the old panel with the brightened gauges, the problem is that they are copyright material, so that could be another hurdle.

Jim Hodkinson

post-9108-125916810083_thumb.jpg

Guest Hodge001

Hi

I thought that a view of the panel at night might give you a better chance of judging the changes.

By the way for the modern panel, all the Aerosoft gauges (mainly all the engine instrumentation) would be from the old panel as it shares the same gauge file, so it would be a case of finding new gauges for mainly the primary flight instruments, of which the only one that may take some finding is an ASI with the correct limit markings, but again it should be possible.

Jim Hodkinson

post-9108-12591821652_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have a follow-up on this problem? I have the same issue and no matter what I try I cannot seem to fix it :(

Replacing the gauges in the VC doesn't help; and it's not the gauges. Here are the gauges I used (Reality XP; those dudes seem to know what they're doing when it comes to gauges) on another Aerosoft aircraft, the Beech 18, inside the VC:

fsscr007.png

Razorsharp, and doing just fine. Now the same gauges in the Beaver VC:

fsscr009_cr.png

What bugs me is that other gauges (for instance the RPM gauge or the Fuel selector) don't have that issue.

On a side note, the RPM and manifold pressure gauge switch positions between the 2D and 3D beaver panels. But that is easy to fix.

Guest Hodge001

Hi Bart

Before anything else I have to say that this theory could be totally incorrect as I’m not a model designer in any way shape or form, but looking at the panel.cfg file I noticed that the virtual cockpit for the Beaver in FS9 is mapped at 512x512, at not at 1024x1024 as I would have expected, this may account for the view that you are getting, and if this is the reason then other than revisiting the model file to have the textures remapped (if this is even possible) then I’m afraid than other than trying a few tweaks there is not really a lot to be done.

I realise that this is not what you wanted to hear, but I other than totally revisiting the model file, if it’s even still available, all I can suggest is to try out any panel.cfg file tweaks that you can find, I did try out one, but to be honest I don’t think it made any difference at all, but your welcome to try it, all I did was to change the entry

pixel_size=2048, 2048

in the virtual cockpit sections of the panel.cfg file to..

pixel_size=1024, 1024

which in general is a more common entry, but as I said, I really cant see a difference.

Again sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Jim Hodkinson

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I already noticed the same about the texture size in the panel.cfg file and played around with it. I even took the offending bmp file (DHC_texture03_C.bmp), converted it to a bitmap, doubled it in size in photoshop, and converted in back to a dxt file - (after adjusting the config file) - not to avail. Should I adjust the lightmap in size as well, or is this simply "mission impossible?"

Hearing that it's not possible to adjust this is of course not what makes me happy, but it will stop me from spending more energy at it, at least.

Guest Hodge001

Hi Bart

I know what you mean, I’m still playing around with differing configurations to see if I can squeeze a little more out of her.

If you have any luck please let us know, of course the same applies from my end, but I have to admit that after a while of tweaking this or that, loading up the Beaver and looking at the panel, I do get a little flack happy and the panels all begin to look the same no matter what I have done.

Anyway I hope that you have more luck than I.

Jim Hodkinson