Cumulus X! Question

jim k

I have Ultimate Terrain USA installed with my FSX, just to give it a slightly more realistic depiction of the scenery. For instance, the little town I live in doesn't even show up on the unaltered FSX, but it shows clearly (of course, not accurately) with Ultimate Terrain. How would this affect Cumulus X!? How about the various scenery adjustments that one trades off to get an acceptable frame rate - How do these affect the thermal generation (and I suppose Sim_probe also)?

Thanks for the information. Your programs change the whole nature of FSX soaring.

C. J. Klingman

Briarcliff, TX

Hi Jim,

landclasses from UTX affect thermal placement of CumulusX!. Not all landclasses are relevant. Landclasses that make a difference include forest, ice, snow, and water.

Mesh add-ons, which define the terrain profile, affect ridge lift from sim_probe. Currently, mesh files do not affect thermal placement. This means that thermals in mountain regions may appear at illogical places, e.g. in lee-side or over shady ridges. There is also no lift from sunny ridges.

This is different, if you use a slope data base for creating ridge lift, or as backup. A slope data base is a sort of collection of mesh files, defining the terrain gradient, but only for CumulusX!. For copyright reasons I cannot provide this, but everybody is allowed to create one on his own from public data sources (have a look in the docs, it is not that difficult). There are also some prepared files at the AVSIM file library (search for CCS2004). Then thermals in mountains are positioned over the sunny ridges, and over ridges which are subject to wind.

Nevertheless, the next version of CumulusX! will not need an external slope database anymore, and will place the thermals in mountains correctly anyway.

best regards,

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Hi SOAR members, I was looking into this Aerosoft glider coming soon and also with the freeware gliders being released I was keeping my eye on this CumulusX (I have WinchX) to add to the glider realism. My only question is will this have any adverse effects with airliners etc or is this primarily for gliders. Thanks in advanced.

-Stick

Hi Stick,

if you find the challenge of maintaining altitude or following glide slope during final due to lift and sink an adverse effect, then yes. Otherwise: No.

best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter, that sounds right up my alley! Also I meant adverse as in just wondering weight wise, glider v.s. a 245,00+lb tubeliner if it be over simulated or exaggerated effects on a tubeliner. If works for all planes then this should be a treat. Thanks again.