asc.dll and surround 5.1

paul ftl818

Flying the PBY with asc.dll activated I noticed that all sounds work OK, however they are transmitted through the two front speakers only! It seems that the normally active surround 5.1 is no longer working (realtek onboard sound). With other aircraft there are no issues.

When deactivating asc.dll in the panel.cfg, surround 5.1 is again working (very nice sound!), but no switches, landing gear etc.

Has anyone come across this problem, help is very much appreciated.

Paul :unsure:

im having the same issue, ASC.DLL is disabling 5.1 on my computer which is quite annoying.

no other AC i have purchased or flown in Default FSX AC have done something like this, expected better from aerosoft :unsure:

we'll look into this.

any word on this being fixed? i notice that the ASC is being pushed out for other aerosoft products and wonder if that also have the same issue..?

QUOTE (FrontSideBus @ Jun 13 2009, 08:38 ) I noticed that I don't seem to be getting 5.1 either. I'm using an HDA X-Mystique.

Hello:

I found that a number of *.WAV files used for the Aerosoft Catalina external sound set had Stereo not Mono file formats, which IIUC are required for DirectX positional sound to work properly. excl.gif

IMHO, one should first check that "surround sound" systems are set up correctly in Windows; then...

Here's a (temporary) fix I'm testing to restore "PBY Surround Sound" (for use only on one's own system): rolleyes.gif

Note: I used CoolEdit Pro, but Audacity or another such audio app could do this too.

In [FSX install path]\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft_PBY-5A_Mil\sound\

1.) Back up all *.WAV files by adding (copying) them into a *.ZIP or *.RAR file

2.) Back up both *.CFG files by adding (copying) them into a *.ZIP or *.RAR file

3.) Re-name sound.cfg to sound_cfg.org

4.) Re-name soundy.cfg to soundy_cfg.org

5.) Make a copy of "soundy_cfg.org" and re-name it as sound.cfg

Edit sound.cfg in NotePad (to include "FSX SDK Sound Cones" parameters) as follows:

1.) Be sure all subsections with a "viewpoint=1" line... end with:

ConePitch=0.000000

ConeHeading=0.000000

InsideConeAngle=360

OutsideConeAngle=360

OutsideConeVolume=10000

2.) Be sure all subsections with a "viewpoint=2" line... end with:

InsideConeAngle=90

OutsideConeAngle=270

ConePitch=0.000000

ConeHeading=0.000000

OutsideConeVolume=9900

3.) Save sound.cfg file and close it (be sure it has the filename "Sound.cfg" without a "*.txt" file extension!)

Open in a properly capable audio editor and Convert each original Stereo file from the list below as follows:

1.) Open and Convert to 44,100 Hz, 32-bit Mono ("up-sampling" preserves audio quality in processing); save file, close it

2.) Open and Convert that same file by "down-sampling" to 44,100 Hz, 16-bit Mono for final use; save file, close it

mwcat_startup_right.wav

mwcat_starter_right.wav

mwcat_startup_left.wav

mwcat_starter_left.wav

mwcat_shutdown_right.wav

mwcat_shutdown_left.wav

mwcat_rpm4_right.wav

mwcat_rpm4_left.wav

mwcat_rpm3_right.wav

mwcat_rpm3_left.wav

mwcat_rpm2_right.wav

mwcat_rpm2_left.wav

mwcat_rpm1_right.wav

mwcat_rpm1_left.wav

mwcat_howl2.wav

mwcat_howl1.wav

mwcat_hcyll.wav

mwcat_hclr.wav

mwcat_hpr.wav

mwcat_hclB.wav

mwcat_hclA.wav

xmwcat_rpm1_left.wav

xmwcat_rpm1_right.wav

xmwcat_rpm2_left.wav

xmwcat_rpm2_right.wav

xmwcat_rpm3_left.wav

xmwcat_rpm3_right.wav

xmwcat_rpm4_left.wav

xmwcat_rpm4_right.wav

xmwcat_shutdown_left.wav

xmwcat_shutdown_right.wav

xmwcat_starter_left.wav

xmwcat_starter_right.wav

xmwcat_startup_left.wav

xmwcat_startup_right.wav

mwcat_hpl.wav

Note: CoolEdit may write proprietary file header info into files with a *.PK file extension; these are not needed, and may be discarded .

Now, start FSX without "ASC.DLL" running, and test the PBY's various External View Camera Positions by cycling through them with the "A" key on your keyboard; in Spot view, "Pan" around aircraft with the controller hat switch.

Enjoy this awesome sound set (reportedly created by Nick Schreger aka "MeatWater") ! tongue.gif

Caveat: As always, results may vary, and this is tried at one's own risk! wink.gif

PS: The internal cockpit sounds are great as well (but I'm out in "Locked Spot" view admiring Henry William and Yago9's repaints most of the time!), and this innovative ASC.DLL will be even better when it leaves the "external" sound mechanism of FSX default in an intact, functional state. smile.gif

Hope this helps others further enjoy this already EXCELLENT aircraft! cool.gif

GaryGB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mathijs,

It is now exactly 3 months after you replied "We will look into this". Gary's solution did not work for me, the sound got only worse.

Any estimates on a solution?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul:

It would indeed be a good thing to have BOTH the exterior and custom interior controls sounds working, and I also hope we may see a revised version of the ASC.DLL that leaves the positional (mostly exterior) sound intact while also enabling those excellent custom interior control sounds. :)

I must inquire though, are you 100% certain that "surround sound" is properly set up in Windows and in FSX on your system, and that you are also using a full set of surround speakers (Front Left, Center, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right) ? :o

NOTE: Subwoofer is optional if one's audio device allows "down-mix" of bass into the audio sent to the main 5 speakers (if those speakers are able to properly render bass frequencies).

Regardless, perhaps there may be some further adjustments required on your system to fully enable proper "5.1 Surround Sound" function in your Windows Audio settings. ;)

Some users are unaware that with most embedded Realtek audio chipsets, there is an additional setting required in the motherboard BIOS setup screens, and an additional software driver may be required to enable surround sound mode.

When this is implemented correctly, upon rebooting, the operational mode of the audio output jacks on the back of your case will then change from default stereo to surround sound.

Would you kindly state here what motherboard you are using (if uncertain, and this is a pre-built commercial "store-bought or online ordered" system, please give the Computer manufacturer and Model number of the computer from your shipping invoice or receipt).

How many audio output jacks are on the back of your case ?

Also, what version of Windows are you using as your OS ?

I must also ask, did you perform the conversions precisely as described above ? :mellow:

FYI: Certain procedural errors in the above described conversion sequence may degrade rather than improve sound quality... if one is not careful ! :excl:

BTW: Pushing an FSX installation hard with high slider settings may lead to problems with embedded audio chipset rendering quality as well ! :huh:

Last but not least, would you please describe in detail what it is that you are hearing, when you state "the sound got only worse" ? :unsure:

Thanks for your feedback on this; I hope we can identify what is happening on your system, and resolve it... as we await a reply from Aerosoft about their ASC.DLL. :D

GaryGB

Hi Gary,

As far as I can see the surround setup is a it should. In other games it works fine on my setup.

Indeed I got all the speakers you describe, all work in the MSI test program as they should.

So I don't feel that there is a problem with my setup.

I run XP, MSI P6N SLI V2/Ultra motherboard, onboard sound chip enabled. There are six jack outlets at the back

I tried to modify the sound files as described, the quality got worse in the sense that the sound has less depth and

sounds muffled.

Moreover I don't want to change too much. Aerosoft should provide a solution!

Tnx for you input,

Paul

Hi Gary,

As far as I can see the surround setup is a it should. In other games it works fine on my setup.

Indeed I got all the speakers you describe, all work in the MSI test program as they should.

So I don't feel that there is a problem with my setup.

I run XP, MSI P6N SLI V2/Ultra motherboard, onboard sound chip enabled. There are six jack outlets at the back

I tried to modify the sound files as described, the quality got worse in the sense that the sound has less depth and

sounds muffled.

Moreover I don't want to change too much. Aerosoft should provide a solution!

Tnx for you input,

Paul

Hi Paul:

Thanks for your reply ! :)

The reduction in sound quality ("less depth") and lower volume with less clarity ("muffled") effect is quite characteristic of a stereo *.WAV sound file conversion which did not successfully complete the initial "up-sampling" to "44,100 Hz, 32-bit Mono" as described above before it was processed to yield a 16-bit mono *.WAV sound file for use in FSX. :o

This "up-sampling" step must be completed prior to conversion of the sound to "44,100 Hz, 16-bit Mono for final use", or sound quality will both degrade in quality... and be muffled by virtue of a curious reduction in volume heard when such an improperly converted *.WAV file is played by Windows DirectSound. ;)

I can attest to this based on my own experience, since I too noticed this effect during my testing of several conversion methods to resolve this issue with the PBY sound set ! :P

If you would be so kind, could you please state what sound editor program you used to perform the file modifications on your sounds for the PBY ?

And if you are not presently inclined to attempt any further processing of your sound files after disappointing initial results as (thus far) achieved on your system, I certainly understand. :(

If you made backups of original PBY files as directed above (you did make a backup of those files, I hope?), I respectfully suggest that you might at least ameliorate some of the issues you are currently experiencing by de-compressing the *.ZIP or *.RAR file containing backup PBY sound files into the specified original folder, allowing an over-write to restore original PBY sound files to use. :rolleyes:

Hopefully we shall hear soon from Aerosoft as to whether and when they will further develop their ASC.DLL to allow normal FSX aircraft positional sound in addition to adding a sound gauge to the aircraft for purposes of custom "panel-type" control sound effects. :help_s:

PS: If you already have the speakers plugged into the rear audio jacks (not the front case mount audio jacks), and your system is set up for use of the embedded Realtek audio chipset as directed on Pages 2-12, 2-17 3-11, and A-1 through A-22 in the PDF Manual for your Microstar International MSI P6N SLI V2/Ultra motherboard at:

http://www.msi.com/i...=1&prod_no=1169

-and you are using the latest MSI / Realtek HD Audio Drivers for Win XP at:

http://www.msi.com/i...=1&prod_no=1169

...you may find that replacing the original PBY *.WAV files might be the best short-term alternative for your current set of modified PBY *.WAV files.

Thanks again for your ongoing communication on this intriguing topic, as we seek a solution (...or perhaps it is just regarded as an "enhancement" to be implemented by us end-users?) for these PBY sound issues. :lol:

GaryGB

Hi Gary,

Thank you again for all your input. Of course I saved all the original files and restored them. My best solution is now to have a copy of the Dutch PBY (which I see frequently over my house!!) with the asc.dll file disabled. The engine sound is then awsome, however I'm missing all the extra's. As said all connections are made at the back of the PC and the surround 5.1 test works perfectly OK.

I use the program you advised for the sound modifications. Perhaps I made a serious mistake and will attempt another try this weekend.

I'll keep you posted!

Paul

Hi Gary,

Thank you again for all your input. Of course I saved all the original files and restored them. My best solution is now to have a copy of the Dutch PBY (which I see frequently over my house!!) with the asc.dll file disabled. The engine sound is then awsome, however I'm missing all the extra's. As said all connections are made at the back of the PC and the surround 5.1 test works perfectly OK.

I use the program you advised for the sound modifications. Perhaps I made a serious mistake and will attempt another try this weekend.

I'll keep you posted!

Paul

Thanks Paul... I'll look forward to seeing if this works OK for you after another session with Cool Edit. :)

PS: The positional sounds are really great after the conversion; especially try repeatedly pressing the "A" key to cycle through external camera views.

In the mean time, Happy Flying ! B)

GaryGB

Hi Gary,

Finally I did not modify the sound files. Checking the configuration again shows that when asc.dll is disabled ( just as I already indicated in the first post and also in your description) the surround 5.1 works fine without any sound file modifications. This is best noticed by the awesome subwoofer sounds (engine rumble). I can also observe the positional effects.

So the bottom line is that asc.dll somehow changes the default surround 5.1 XP setting into that of a two speakers near the PC setup. The answer from aerosoft will take an era, they are too busy releasing new products, that eventually all have to be patched.

Still waiting....

Paul

Hi Gary,

Finally I did not modify the sound files. Checking the configuration again shows that when asc.dll is disabled ( just as I already indicated in the first post and also in your description) the surround 5.1 works fine without any sound file modifications. This is best noticed by the awesome subwoofer sounds (engine rumble). I can also observe the positional effects.

So the bottom line is that asc.dll somehow changes the default surround 5.1 XP setting into that of a two speakers near the PC setup. The answer from aerosoft will take an era, they are too busy releasing new products, that eventually all have to be patched.

Still waiting....

Paul

Hi Paul:

Glad you were able to restore your sounds to their original "out of the box" state.

As I recall, there were indeed some ambient sound effects and a few positionally localised sounds achievable with the PBY if ASC.DLL was disabled using the original set of MONO and STEREO *.WAV sound files.

However, my personal preferences soon compelled me to experiment with properly converting the STEREO *.WAV files to MONO to allow the FSX direct sound playing engine to render a more definitive and dramatic positional effect. :P

When I have my FS system fully rebuilt and calibrated again, I'll take another test flight to check out the extent of the "localizing" impact one might forfeit by using the default mix of files.

I have yet to further test the ability of the the FSX direct sound playing engine to localize AC3 "surround-encoded" files from both MONO and STEREO *.WAV files, and hope to see that one can achieve a proper "pass-through" of the positional encoding signals for at least 5.1 (and perhaps even 7.1) surround effects with FSX.

As the technology for creating panel control sound "gauges" for aircraft has been around since at least FS2002, I am confident that in due time Aerosoft will reconsider their options for releasing an even better sound utility such as ASC.DLL, that will keep enthusiasts of fine aircraft such as their PBY much more satisfied for years to come. :rolleyes:

Happy Flying! :)

GaryGB