Seahawk/jayhawk - Strange Behaviour?

Guest Mulder

Guest Mulder

Hi all,

I have been flying the Seahawk/Jayhawk (FSX version) for some time now. I'ts a wonderfull chopper and it flies and operates nicely. I've been searching this forums (and others too) AND of course read the manual forewards and backwards. It still leaves me with a few unanswered questions that I have to adress to someone brighter than my self:

1. The VOR tracking does not work - or does it? Are there any known issues here?? The ILS and FD funktion seems quite misty too!

2. Is it possible to trim the helo with the conventional FSX controls OR FSUIPC commands. I have NOT been able to find any working trimfunctions - yes, you can "hand-click" the trimbuttons on the Collective - but without any reaction at all. And even though FSUIPC does offer a rotor-trim function (FSX does not, and that MAY be the problem) for horisontal and latteral movements, it has no effect what so ever. I would in fact also expect the conventional ruddertrim to work with the tail rotor - no luck there either. Tweeking the air-file maby? - I just don't know how :blush:

3. The sound file makes a wierd and very unrealistic (for the chopper that is) "Oilrig" sound, that allmost totally kills the rotorsound. Any solutions - or is it neccessary to tweak the sound.cfg to kill that damned sound? If so - what to tweak??

4. Programming a switch on any of my CH controllers for turning the headingbug and courseindicator, makes them move in 5 to 10 degr. increments for every click (switch-clicks are NOT set to repeat). It makes it very hard to set a precise heading or course. Any fix for that?

5. The ADF tuning knobs - 100, 10, and 1 - seems to not function propperly. The 100 and 10 knob workes most of the time but NOT the 1 knob. Any fix?

6. In VC, sometimes the Collective is in the UP posttion - sometimes in the DOWN position - never somewhere in between. Why does it not move up an down proportional with controller input from the selected collevtive handle? (CH Throttle Quardrant/reg. ver. FSUIPC)

I downloaded the AS version of the Seahawk/Jayhawk just a few weeks ago, and as far as i can see, I should have the fully updated version - or is there an update I have missed.

Help much appreciated... :blink:

Best regards

Mulder/Denmark

Airtaxi Jockie and CFII

Hello Mulder,

1: In what sense do you mean track a VOR, you can track a flight plan or a heading.

2: It has its own trim mode as per page 56 of the manual, if you cant use the convention aircraft trim buttons then it wont work coventionaly.

3: Not sure what you mean, no one else has reported a problem with the sounds in that sense.

4: Not all systems are programmed the same. If it works in the sim and not the controller then its probably not compatible.

5: ADF is tuning fine here. Can change all 4 digits without issue! The single digits just to the left of the decimal only turn one way, anti-clockwise.

6: Collective seems to work here fine also with my wireless Saitek Cyborg EVO, animates from no throttle to 100%,

There are 2 updates available in the FAQs/Updates Section. Maybe you can try installing that.

The first should fix the collective animation.

I know some of these answers may be negative but unfortunately not all things work with others.

Guest Mulder

Hello Mulder,

1Q: In what sense do you mean track a VOR, you can track a flight plan or a heading.

1A: In the sense that the AP tracks fine on GPS and HDG inputs. But when you turn the AP selector to VOR tracking, the AP turnes towards the VOR Track OK, but overshoots it and does nor correct back on track.

2Q: It has its own trim mode as per page 56 of the manual, if you cant use the convention aircraft trim buttons then it wont work coventionaly.

2A: Yes, I'm quite aware of the automatic TRIM function that holds attitude, heading (but actually reduces airspeed). What i'm looking for, is obviously a MANUAL trim function - you know - like you have on all fixed wing and rotorcraft yokes and joysticks

3Q: Not sure what you mean, no one else has reported a problem with the sounds in that sense.

3A: OK lets not waste time on the sounds. I found a way to modify the sound.cfg.

4Q: Not all systems are programmed the same. If it works in the sim and not the controller then its probably not compatible.

4A: I'm, as you probably are aware of, using CH Products fylly programmed throug FSUIPC. So I dont quite understand. But OK, let it fly

5A: ADF is tuning fine here. Can change all 4 digits without issue! The single digits just to the left of the decimal only turn one way, anti-clockwise.

5Q: OK

6Q: Collective seems to work here fine also with my wireless Saitek Cyborg EVO, animates from no throttle to 100%,

6A: Again, I'm using CH Products fylly programmed throug FSUIPC. So I dont quite understand why. But I'll try the update

There are 2 updates available in the FAQs/Updates Section. Maybe you can try installing that.

The first should fix the collective animation.

OK, but the Readme.txt says: Aerosoft Seahawk & Jayhawk X 2.10. And further down i says: 2.11 Update for Shipyard and new moving ship so??? THAT'S quite fuzzy dont' you think. What version do you thing I have???????

Best from Mulder

Hello Mulder,

It would appear then that it only tracks the course of the VOR and doesn't chase round after it when reached but carries on on the heading it went. When a flight plan is loaded then it should track the next waypoint as the tutorial.

If the normal trim modes dont work on the helicopter as they also dont on my joystick then you wont be able to use them only the trim provided by the helicopter in the sim.

As for the version, I cannot tell as the product.fg wasn't completed but it wont harm to try to install he updates.

2A: Yes, I'm quite aware of the automatic TRIM function that holds attitude, heading (but actually reduces airspeed). What i'm looking for, is obviously a MANUAL trim function - you know - like you have on all fixed wing and rotorcraft yokes and joysticks

OK, but the Readme.txt says: Aerosoft Seahawk & Jayhawk X 2.10. And further down i says: 2.11 Update for Shipyard and new moving ship so??? THAT'S quite fuzzy dont' you think. What version do you thing I have???????

Best from Mulder

On the AFCS if you select either of the Altitude holds and either of the heading holds without selecting or adjusting the Long Vel then the aircraft will slow down (or speed up) depending on your initial settings. If you manually trim the aircraft (nose up) it will slow down (nose down) will speed it up along with altering the hight either up or down.

As to the updates. 2.10 is a recommended/advised update. 2.11 is I believe a mission, therefore, install or not, your choice.

Guest Mulder
Hello Mulder,

It would appear then that it only tracks the course of the VOR and doesn't chase round after it when reached but carries on on the heading it went. When a flight plan is loaded then it should track the next waypoint as the tutorial.

If the normal trim modes dont work on the helicopter as they also dont on my joystick then you wont be able to use them only the trim provided by the helicopter in the sim.

As for the version, I cannot tell as the product.fg wasn't completed but it wont harm to try to install he updates.

Hi Shaun,

Well, let's just asume that, though very strange, thise are the ways of the program, and not waste anymore valuable sim-time on the matter. I'm very gratefull for your time and help!!

Best regards

Mulder/Denmark

Air Taxi Jockie & CFII

Guest Mulder
On the AFCS if you select either of the Altitude holds and either of the heading holds without selecting or adjusting the Long Vel then the aircraft will slow down (or speed up) depending on your initial settings. If you manually trim the aircraft (nose up) it will slow down (nose down) will speed it up along with altering the hight either up or down.

As to the updates. 2.10 is a recommended/advised update. 2.11 is I believe a mission, therefore, install or not, your choice.

Hi ´James,

I'm quite sure that you are meaning well. I've earned my bread as a Commercial Pilot and CFII for almost a lifetime now, so i suppose that I know my way around aircrafts, systems, aerodynamics etc. I'v also been teaching the stuff for many years now. So it might be, that I don't make my self very clear when trying to explain the problems at hand. But it IS very interesting when you describe THIS - Quote: If you manually trim the aircraft (nose up) it will slow down (nose down) will speed it up along with altering the hight either up or down.. That is EXACTELY what one of my issues is all about i.e. HOW THE F... DO YOU TRIM THE BASTARD MANUALLY????? I allow myself to refere to Shauns latest post - Quote: If the normal trim modes dont work on the helicopter as they also dont on my joystick then you wont be able to use them only the trim provided by the helicopter in the sim.

Well??? CAN you or CAN'T you use manually trim????????

Best regards

Mulder/Denmark

Air Taxi Jockey & CFII

Hello Mulder,

I have the trim button set on my joystick for elevation for normal aircraft and when flying manually well how does one know if the trim works that way in the Helo, I suppose if the helo is flying a set heading then trying to change it may lift the nose up and slow it down. To be honest never tried it in auto flight as i never saw the point also when one is using the Helo trim mode to keep it flying in the same heading and altitude again never saw the point of using the FSX trim buttons.

James if you'd like to comment on this please.

Hi Mulder, Shaun,

The simple answer re the trim is "no it cannot be adjusted/used manually within Flight Sim".

In real life this is compensated by the use of the collective along with power management, to complicated to elaborate further without me digging out the manuals. The collective can either be Manual or Automatic. In FS it uses an electronic system (Automatic) so all you have to do on your system is lift or lower the collective, it doesn't have a manual option where bye you can wind up the power before lifting the collective.

Guest Mulder

Hello Mulder,

I have the trim button set on my joystick for elevation for normal aircraft and when flying manually well how does one know if the trim works that way in the Helo, I suppose if the helo is flying a set heading then trying to change it may lift the nose up and slow it down. To be honest never tried it in auto flight as i never saw the point also when one is using the Helo trim mode to keep it flying in the same heading and altitude again never saw the point of using the FSX trim buttons.

James if you'd like to comment on this please.

Hi Shaun,

You say: "I never saw the point, also when one is using the Helo trim mode to keep it flying in the same heading and altitude again never saw the point of using the FSX trim buttons". OK - the AUTO TRIM MODE is an autopilot-function, and if you are happy with flying the Seahawk - or any chopper for that matter - on "AUTO PILOT" well, good for you. But I'm NOT. As in "real life" manual trim is a very essential part of flying any chopper, i.e. when handling a chopper the way it is supposed to be handled, MANUAL ROTOR AND TAILROTOR TRIM IS IMPORTANT!!! IF you can't trim the rotor in lateral and longitudinal levels, well then your chopper flying becomes very agonizing, as i would be, flying any fixed wing aircraft. When you don't have manual trim capability, you have to apply foreward pressure to your joystick and left OR right pressure (depending on speed and attitude) on your rudderpedals (tailrotor pedals) in order to maintain straight and level

Best from Mulder

Guest Mulder

Hi Mulder, Shaun,

The simple answer re the trim is "no it cannot be adjusted/used manually within Flight Sim".

In real life this is compensated by the use of the collective along with power management, to complicated to elaborate further without me digging out the manuals. The collective can either be Manual or Automatic. In FS it uses an electronic system (Automatic) so all you have to do on your system is lift or lower the collective, it doesn't have a manual option where bye you can wind up the power before lifting the collective.

Hi James,

As in "real life", for any given powersetting and altitude, you will always have to trim your ac configuration to maintain a straight and level flight - ALSO IN A CHOPPER :)

Hi James,

As in "real life", for any given powersetting and altitude, you will always have to trim your ac configuration to maintain a straight and level flight - ALSO IN A CHOPPER :)

Hi Mulder,

First of all I am not in any shape or form trying to teach you how to suck eggs, therefore lets start this one by "The majority of what you know in relation to flying fixed wing aircraft" forget it when it comes to Helicopters. Two totally different concepts.

Single engine helicopters. Eyes, Hands and Feet Coordination!! Get one of these out of sync and you will sink, big style. Lets say the engine is running and you are doing everything manually. First things first and prior to applying/winding up power you need to know which way your rotors are turning. If they are rotating clockwise then as you wind power up you apply opposite anti torque OR you end up spinning in the direction of rotor spin.

Once you have power set you can then lift up on the collective, bearing in mind now your eyes, hands and feet now have to be in sync with your controls. Once in the hover you can now move your cyclic forward to obtain forward motion, remembering to make slight adjustments on the collective and anti torque pedals to maintain both hight and direction. As you speed up the aircraft will gain hight, therefore you may have to either ease back on the cyclic or collective, depending on what you would like to do.

Now taking it you are at your desired hight and altitude, the only way to trim the aircraft (as it does not have buttons or even wheels to adjust) and maintain speed and altitude is to constantly adjust cyclic, anti torque and collective. Unfortunately the MOD never had auto pilots installed on any of our cabs so everything is hands on.

Twin or triple engine don't have twist grips on the collective, they have independent power levers overhead. The principals are the same though just that any power adjustments are made through the overhead levers. You still manually trim the aircraft for straight and level flight through adjustments of the power, collective, cyclic and anti torque pedals.

I hope this has explained things a bit better than my last attempt.

Guest Mulder

Hi Mulder,

First of all I am not in any shape or form trying to teach you how to suck eggs, therefore lets start this one by "The majority of what you know in relation to flying fixed wing aircraft" forget it when it comes to Helicopters. Two totally different concepts.

Single engine helicopters. Eyes, Hands and Feet Coordination!! Get one of these out of sync and you will sink, big style. Lets say the engine is running and you are doing everything manually. First things first and prior to applying/winding up power you need to know which way your rotors are turning. If they are rotating clockwise then as you wind power up you apply opposite anti torque OR you end up spinning in the direction of rotor spin.

Once you have power set you can then lift up on the collective, bearing in mind now your eyes, hands and feet now have to be in sync with your controls. Once in the hover you can now move your cyclic forward to obtain forward motion, remembering to make slight adjustments on the collective and anti torque pedals to maintain both hight and direction. As you speed up the aircraft will gain hight, therefore you may have to either ease back on the cyclic or collective, depending on what you would like to do.

Now taking it you are at your desired hight and altitude, the only way to trim the aircraft (as it does not have buttons or even wheels to adjust) and maintain speed and altitude is to constantly adjust cyclic, anti torque and collective. Unfortunately the MOD never had auto pilots installed on any of our cabs so everything is hands on.

Twin or triple engine don't have twist grips on the collective, they have independent power levers overhead. The principals are the same though just that any power adjustments are made through the overhead levers. You still manually trim the aircraft for straight and level flight through adjustments of the power, collective, cyclic and anti torque pedals.

I hope this has explained things a bit better than my last attempt.

Hi James,

Thank you for "enlightening" me. Yes, I know all that, and i have no problems what so ever handling a chopper, and what you are telling me here is NOT what the issue is all about - I'm sorry. The whole issue is about TRIMMING THE DAMNED THING. But I had a little chat with Peter Dowson (FSUIPC you know). What you need is a little editing in the FSUIPC.ini file - and Voilá! - you have trim on the chopper (i.e. any chopper in FSX) . A former student of mine at North American Institute of Aviation where I worked as a CFII for a few years, was a Vietnam Vet. He flew The Bell UH-1 (a.k.a. Huey) in Nam. I trained him for his fixed wing commercial twin+instrument FAA license (fixed wing of course). Chris (my student) was also a chopper instructor and I had the extreme pleasure of flying a privately ovned Huey in the right seat whit him in the left. And I can assure you, that chopper-pilots fly manually, or "hands on" if you so wish, and they use trim ALL the time. If you don't, you'll have a horrible time flying any chopper. So I'm absolutely NOT trying to compare flying a chopper with the elements involved in flying a fixed wing aircraft. But thanks again :)

Best from Mulder

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

I have been flying the Seahawk/Jayhawk (FSX version) for some time now. I'ts a wonderfull chopper and it flies and operates nicely. I've been searching this forums (and others too) AND of course read the manual forewards and backwards. It still leaves me with a few unanswered questions that I have to adress to someone brighter than my self:

1. The VOR tracking does not work - or does it? Are there any known issues here?? The ILS and FD funktion seems quite misty too!

2. Is it possible to trim the helo with the conventional FSX controls OR FSUIPC commands. I have NOT been able to find any working trimfunctions - yes, you can "hand-click" the trimbuttons on the Collective - but without any reaction at all. And even though FSUIPC does offer a rotor-trim function (FSX does not, and that MAY be the problem) for horisontal and latteral movements, it has no effect what so ever. I would in fact also expect the conventional ruddertrim to work with the tail rotor - no luck there either. Tweeking the air-file maby? - I just don't know how blush.gif

3. The sound file makes a wierd and very unrealistic (for the chopper that is) "Oilrig" sound, that allmost totally kills the rotorsound. Any solutions - or is it neccessary to tweak the sound.cfg to kill that damned sound? If so - what to tweak??

4. Programming a switch on any of my CH controllers for turning the headingbug and courseindicator, makes them move in 5 to 10 degr. increments for every click (switch-clicks are NOT set to repeat). It makes it very hard to set a precise heading or course. Any fix for that?

5. The ADF tuning knobs - 100, 10, and 1 - seems to not function propperly. The 100 and 10 knob workes most of the time but NOT the 1 knob. Any fix?

6. In VC, sometimes the Collective is in the UP posttion - sometimes in the DOWN position - never somewhere in between. Why does it not move up an down proportional with controller input from the selected collevtive handle? (CH Throttle Quardrant/reg. ver. FSUIPC)

I downloaded the AS version of the Seahawk/Jayhawk just a few weeks ago, and as far as i can see, I should have the fully updated version - or is there an update I have missed.

Help much appreciated... blink.gif

Best regards

Mulder/Denmark

Airtaxi Jockie and CFII

Hello Mulder,

If you are able to read this post, I am curious as to how you fixed the "Oilrig" sound in the Seahawk/Jayhawk FSX version. I just bought and downloaded the product and I am experiencing the same thing. It kills the rotorsound, as you said. To me, it sounds like someone drying a jacket with a big zipper in a clothes dryer. Any help is appreciated.

Hurricane37