CumulusX! + FSX Acceleration

rjf71

Just wondering if anyone has had success installing CumulusX! on top of FSX Acceleration?

I have:

- FSX Accel on top of FSX RTM

- .NET 3.0 installed (but also tried reinstalling 2.0 just in case)

Don't really want to uninstall everything, then reinstall FSX RTM, SP1, Sp2, etc just to try CumulusX!

On startup get:

"CumulusX! 1.0 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

EventType: clr20r3 P1: cumulusx.exe P2:1.0.0.0 P3: 47dbcc19

P4: cumulusx P5: 1.0.0.0 P6: 47dbcc19 P7:13 P8:c6

P9: system.invalidoperationexception

Running on a relatively recent Quad core system

Anyone else running ok with Acceleration?

There are users with FSX-ACC, but I'm not sure if they had to install SP2 as well. There is at least one, who has installed SP2 after ACC, because he reported, that afterwards he had to repair-install the ACC, to get back some of its functions. Then everything worked fine.

regards,

Peter

CumulusX! runs fine on my installation, which is FS RTM + Acceleration on Windows Vista 64 Bit.

Maybe their is a VC Runtime missing?

Did you use the 1.0 version of CumulusX!?

What OS do you use?

V1.0 CumulusX! on XP Home. Thanks for the quick response guys.

I've uninstalled acc, put on Sp1, then sp2 - and voila CumulusX running.

Then tried to put acc but said I had to uninstall sp2, so I did, then reinstalled acc, and.....whew - Cx still seems to be running.

Now to try it out!

I'm on Windows XP SP2 + FSX + Acceleration. Acceleration is installed instead of FSX SP2, but that part must be fine otherwise you wouldn't have FSX/Acceleration running at all.

** EDIT ** just seen your reply - pleased you're all sorted.

Ian

I assume, it was the SP2 Simconnect.dll that was missing, since I think that that of ACC is different to SP2. Even when uninstalling SP2 through ACC, SP2-Simconnect remains on the system.

For the time being I tried to avoid an intransparent installer, that potentially requires to switch off anti-virus software and such evil things.

I have only one system that I can use for development and testing, so my options are limited.

I assume, it was the SP2 Simconnect.dll that was missing, since I think that that of ACC is different to SP2. Even when uninstalling SP2 through ACC, SP2-Simconnect remains on the system.

For the time being I tried to avoid an intransparent installer, that potentially requires to switch off anti-virus software and such evil things.

I have only one system that I can use for development and testing, so my options are limited.

Thank for you such impressive piece of software Peter and Ian. A quick spin around the ranges to the west of my home town (Brisbane Australia) produced very realistic movement and lift even in the Cessna.

I'm really looking forward to trying this out with a glider and Tileproxy serving up photoreal scenery. While exploring the west of Bris lately found myself over Boonah (local gliding hotspot) and wondered if the FSX fraternity had expanded the gliding options. Answer appears to be "Yes!" to say the least! Mind you, I have a suspicion CumulusX! and Simprobe are going to stay in use on my system regardless of the aircraft in use.

Hi Peter,

as you already know I'm working myself through that SDK documantations in my (currently very little) spare time. If I understand that documents correctly there's really different simconnect APIs for SP2 and ACC SDKs. The Acceleration-API contains the Acceleration features (e.g. online racing missons), the SP2 version does not.

I think it could probably be possible to implement a function for reading out the different simconnect version numbers and reacting on that will be our task. With that function implemented it shouldn't be an issue to code one-for-all versions of our addons.

BTW: Is that true, that CumulusX! isn't working with only SP1 installed? A friend of mine tried to run it (as he's really very interested on soaring with FSX) and CumulusX!1.0 crashed down with no message but the "CumulusX! Version 1.0 encountered a problem.... report to Micro$oft" window (in german it's "CumulusX! hat ein Problem festgestellt und muss beendet werden. ... ") I'll attach it for your information.

Would it be possible to run it with SP1 anyhow? Perhaps with an older version?

:cheers2:

Dirk.

ax9mwd7snu2bcb2rr.jpg

BTW: Is that true, that CumulusX! isn't working with only SP1 installed? A friend of mine tried to run it (as he's really very interested on soaring with FSX) and CumulusX!1.0 crashed down with no message but the "CumulusX! Version 1.0 encountered a problem.... report to Micro$oft" window (in german it's "CumulusX! hat ein Problem festgestellt und muss beendet werden. ... ") I'll attach it for your information.

Would it be possible to run it with SP1 anyhow? Perhaps with an older version?

Well, that is true. As from V 0.8.1 FSX-SP2 is required. I think it's really the best to upgrade to SP2, because there are so many restrictions in the older versions and I do not have the ambition (and the time, btw) to compete with commercial SW, supporting many different SW environments.

It's probably worth to look how the SP2-DLL can be bundled with the release package.

best regards,

Peter

• 11 months later...
V1.0 CumulusX! on XP Home. Thanks for the quick response guys.

I've uninstalled acc, put on Sp1, then sp2 - and voila CumulusX running.

Then tried to put acc but said I had to uninstall sp2, so I did, then reinstalled acc, and.....whew - Cx still seems to be running.

Now to try it out!

What happens to your addon planes built for FSX-ACC when you uninstall ACC? Do you lose them? From the above, the sequence of events seems to be to uninstall ACC, install SP1, leave SP2 out of the process, and then re-install ACC. Is that right? Or, is there some required piece of SP2 that stays in after it's installed and uninstalled so that ACC works when you re-install it?

Binky9

Ther won't be problems, Binky9. The reason for the procedure is that CumulusX is linked against the simconnect.dll from SP2. The dll management of windows uspports backward and downward compatibility by forwarding dll requests to the highes existing version dll that is available. Unfortunately, SP2-simconnect has a a higher release number then that of the simconnect from ACC. So, when CumulusX demands for its dll version, it cannot be fulfilled.

Once you install SP2, the associated simconnect.dll lands in the DLL cache. It is not removed when you uninstall SP2 and re-install ACC. Instead, among all the rest, he ACC simconnect lands in the DLL cache, too. So, at the end you may have up to four simconnect.dll's. You may have a look at Windows\WinSxS to check.

#1: FSX RTM

#2: FSX SP1

#3: FSX SP2

#4: FSX ACC

Every time, when a managed ("#.NET") application loads a DLL, it says which version it requires. So applications that were linked against the ACC dll will be supplied with this, Cumulusx! will get the SP2 dll.

Unfortunately, the process for getting the correct dll is somewhat tedious, but I can't help.

regards,

Peter

Ther won't be problems, Binky9. The reason for the procedure is that CumulusX is linked against the simconnect.dll from SP2. The dll management of windows uspports backward and downward compatibility by forwarding dll requests to the highes existing version dll that is available. Unfortunately, SP2-simconnect has a a higher release number then that of the simconnect from ACC. So, when CumulusX demands for its dll version, it cannot be fulfilled.

Once you install SP2, the associated simconnect.dll lands in the DLL cache. It is not removed when you uninstall SP2 and re-install ACC. Instead, among all the rest, he ACC simconnect lands in the DLL cache, too. So, at the end you may have up to four simconnect.dll's. You may have a look at Windows\WinSxS to check.

#1: FSX RTM

#2: FSX SP1

#3: FSX SP2

#4: FSX ACC

Every time, when a managed ("#.NET") application loads a DLL, it says which version it requires. So applications that were linked against the ACC dll will be supplied with this, Cumulusx! will get the SP2 dll.

Unfortunately, the process for getting the correct dll is somewhat tedious, but I can't help.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

At what point do I add SimProbe? Before or after re-loading ACC?

Thanks,

Binky9

It doesn't matter. Neither CumulusX! nor SimProbe interfere with installation files from FSX. They are just sitting in their own subdirectories, expecting, that FSX is somewhere.

The only thing is to check that the tools are appropriately included in the exe.xml as described in their docs.

best regards,

Peter

It doesn't matter. Neither CumulusX! nor SimProbe interfere with installation files from FSX. They are just sitting in their own subdirectories, expecting, that FSX is somewhere.

The only thing is to check that the tools are appropriately included in the exe.xml as described in their docs.

best regards,

Peter

Peter,

I'm closer to getting this thing to work. What goes in the Thermal Script File window under Settings? What does "Abbrechen" mean? Apply? Also, when I double-click on SimProbe, a black window flashes for a second, and then in gone.

Thanks,

Binky9

best regards,

Peter

Peter,

I'm closer to getting this thing to work. What goes in the Thermal Script File window under Settings? What does "Abbrechen" mean? Apply? Also, when I double-click on SimProbe, a black window flashes for a second, and then in gone.

Thanks,

Binky9

Binky9,

The thermal script text window receives the filename of a text file, that contains a list of definitions of thermals. The script file provides maximum control over the appearance of thermals and is intended for designers of races or specific thermal situations. Usually you will leave the empty.

"Abbrechen" is German for "Cancel". You leave the dialogue without the changes becoming effective. Wondering, why this is not localized at your side. Or did you read this in the doc?

regards,

Peter

Binky9,

The thermal script text window receives the filename of a text file, that contains a list of definitions of thermals. The script file provides maximum control over the appearance of thermals and is intended for designers of races or specific thermal situations. Usually you will leave the empty.

"Abbrechen" is German for "Cancel". You leave the dialogue without the changes becoming effective. Wondering, why this is not localized at your side. Or did you read this in the doc?

regards,

Peter

The "Abbrechen" was at the bottom right of the Settings form.

• 4 weeks later...
Binky9,

regards,

Peter

Is there anyone in Houston that can help me set up CumulusX! and simProbe on my computer? I have tried, and failed a couple of times.

binky9@ix.netcom.com