Multiplayer Thermal Soaring in FSX

sf4JC

Does anyone know if the thermals are randomly placed, or if anyone has thermal soared in multiplayer yet? I know FSX says that, "Dry land classes (such as arid desert, cities, sparse grassland) are more likely to generate thermals than damp land classes." I kinda want to know if it's possible for two or more people to thermal soar together, without any added program for now.

sf4JC

Yes, it's possible to fly together. Last week I did several multiplayer-trips and flew with other users in the same thermals. FSX makes random thermals, but it looks like every multiplayer in the same session gets the same thermals. It's fun flying together, when the host allows radio-communication also.

Bert

Great! I'll have to join or host a session sometime. What time of day are you usually on, and what days?

The only other thing I should ask is, are you using the "ingame" multiplayer, or something like FSHost? I'd like to host or join a session in FSHost and use real-world weather (which I don't think is an option yet), but I wasn't sure if the thermals would be placed in the same spots or not.

sf4JC

Great! I'll have to join or host a session sometime. What time of day are you usually on, and what days?

No particular day or time, I just watch if any host uses a glider and then I join, or I host a session myself and see if anyone comes in.

The only other thing I should ask is, are you using the "ingame" multiplayer, or something like FSHost? I'd like to host or join a session in FSHost and use real-world weather (which I don't think is an option yet), but I wasn't sure if the thermals would be placed in the same spots or not.

sf4JC

I use the ingame multiplayer. I have no experience with FSHost. Using real weather is an option, just try to host a session and you'll see what other options are available. (maybe if you the use the session-name "virtual soaring" fellow-gliderlovers will join quicker?)

Bert

Thanks for the session-name advice, not sure if I would have totally thought of that one. I'm sure I would have put something with "soaring" in it.

That brings up another question, Have you created these sessions in the FreeFlight section, or one of the others? Last time I was in the "ingame" multiplayer, I didn't see a section for "soaring" in general, but that was quite a while ago. I had been tinkering with FSHost and the ability to fly multiple sims (FS2002, FS2004, FSX) in the same sessions with motorized planes. I set up my laptop as the FSHost in FS2004, then I put a plane in the air in autopilot with FS2004. After that I got on my main computer where FSX is located, and took off from a nearby airport to find the FS2004 aircraft. I was successful, except that the other plane showed up as something else if I remember right. I also remember that the airport that I landed both at were not exactly in the same spot.

sf4JC

Thanks for the session-name advice, not sure if I would have totally thought of that one. I'm sure I would have put something with "soaring" in it.

That brings up another question, Have you created these sessions in the FreeFlight section, or one of the others? Last time I was in the "ingame" multiplayer, I didn't see a section for "soaring" in general, but that was quite a while ago. I had been tinkering with FSHost and the ability to fly multiple sims (FS2002, FS2004, FSX) in the same sessions with motorized planes. I set up my laptop as the FSHost in FS2004, then I put a plane in the air in autopilot with FS2004. After that I got on my main computer where FSX is located, and took off from a nearby airport to find the FS2004 aircraft. I was successful, except that the other plane showed up as something else if I remember right. I also remember that the airport that I landed both at were not exactly in the same spot.

sf4JC

Just host a session in the free flight, take one of the the default DG's as your plane, set the settings you wish on your computer (weather, location and so on), start flying and wait if someone comes joining in with a glider or a motorized plane (or just jouin a session of anyone elses session and see what happens). In FSX-multiplayer, one can not host or join with FS2004 or earlier, FSX only.

Bert