FSX and Max's CAISET gauges

Correction/Update:

Ian, you are right:blush:

The FSX-caiset doesn't show up on my system. My system: W7 32-bit, FSX Deluxe, SP1, SP2 and SDK installed. FSX runs in administrator mode.

What I saw earlier was the "old" fs9-caiset. There is a copy of the caiset.gau in the FSX gauges map and also in the LS8 panel map.

The instructions Max gave us to change the panel.cfg only effects the 2D-cockpit mode, and not the virtual cockpit mode, and because there are copies of the fs9-caiset.gau in the FSX/Gauges map and also in the LS8/Panel map, what I saw in virtual cockpit mode was the fs9-caiset, and not the fsx-caiset.

When I renamed the fs9-caiset.gau files to fs9-caiset_off.gau, ín 2D-cockpit and in VC mode all I saw was the background pictures of the caiset.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bert

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

way to go Max. I was pleased when I eventually went Win7, and skipped the whole Vista era. There's still a Win7-32 vs Win7-64 choice though. In the meantime I am happy to test any version of the code you like - flipping the mr-fs9-caiset reference in the panel.cfg to mr-fsx-caiset is a very easy test.

If it's ok to have a test panel with mr-fs9-caiset!cav right next to mr-fsx-caiset!cav on the same panel then I could test without flipping panels.

Ian

And I believe I already have that installed. I'm going to install the gauges into another aircraft also and see how they work as well. Not sure if there should be any reason why they wouldn't though. Also, I need to make sure I have the updated version of the LS8-18 installed, really not sure that would be a problem.

Scott

Hi Max,

I report update to 2-3.

I tested it on Vista 64, and it didn't work either. The panels (both 2D and VC) just show the panel background. I installed VC++ without effect.

Interestingly, when I first loaded the original LS8-18 , I didn't get a VC at all. Then I did the panel.cfg modifications. Still I had to restart FSX to get the VC at the end (but no CAISET).

regards,

Peter

Edit: The VC problem with Wolfgangs original version seems to have gone, and the FS9-CAISET appears now.

I have found that the FSX-CAISET is missing in the list of loaded DLLs after loading the LS8 with the new CAISET. Though, there was the request if the DLL is a trusted one.

The request if the DLL is trusted, only effects the FSX.cfg. After confirming a new line is added in the [trusted] section of fsx.cfg, telling fsx that the dll is trusted.

Bert

Hi Ian,

it's nothing of FSX itself. Instead you'll need some external tool for this. I use Process Explorer from the Sysinternals suite (free download from M$), which I use also as a replacement for the windows task manager.

I could not find the CAISET-dll in the list of modules, loaded by FSX, although FSX touches it somehow, since it asks for approval for loading it.

best regards,

Peter

Perhaps slightly off topic (but not in my case) - what Windows 7 version do I really need ? :unsure:

There's Home, Pro and Ultimate - and how about just upgrades (like the Home family pack) ? And there's a 32-bit and 64-bit version of each...

I've to upgrade 3 machines (2 for me - 1 for the wife (or even 6 - counting the childern and the dog) so clean installs could be rather expensive... :beatcomputer_s:

At the moment the machines are running on Vista (1x) XP (4x) or 2000 (1x) - if I buy upgrades I only have to replace the 2000 first.

Any advise ?

:cheers_s:

Max.

I really don't think the Home/Pro/Ultimate versions have any significant feature differences for routine use (although decide for yourself: )

Version feature comparison

but the 32/64 issue is much more significant. Win/32 has to fit everything into a 4GB address space, including the graphics card. So with a 1GB graphics card, Win/32 maxes out at something like 2.5GB of RAM (even if you have more installed). Win/64 doesn't have this limitation. My recommendation is install plenty of RAM - it's relatively cheap and worth it - so Win/64 makes sense.

B21

...I've to upgrade 3 machines (2 for me - 1 for the wife (or even 6 - counting the childern and the dog)...

One of our dogs used to use my main computer, WITHOUT MY PERMISSION, and now our cat does...I REALLY dislike it :( when that happens.

Scott

There's Home, Pro and Ultimate - and how about just upgrades (like the Home family pack) ? And there's a 32-bit and 64-bit version of each...

There is one thing worth to consider: I you ever want to play with voice recognition in FS, it might be an advantage to have an English language version, or an enterprise edition, which allows changinge the GUI language (not sure if the latter is available at all as single license).

That is because all FS tools in that direction depend on an English language voice recognition, which requzires the GUI langauge to be the same, where in localized versions the GUI language and the recognition language are typically that of that country. Moreover switching GUI language is not supported and also illegal for non-eligible versions (as the Home versions).

Without English voice recognition,these tools are practically not working.

Except from that I have only positive experience with my x64-system (Vista till now). Rock solid and no memory issues whatsoever. The only piece of hardware which I couldn't exploit anymore to its full extend was PCDASH 2 from the year 2000 which has no 64bit drivers and of which I could only use 32 of its 35+ buttons. Event that has recently become fully usable again with the HIDMacros 2.0 tool.

regards,

Peter