NO MORE DX9 texture issues in FSX DirectX10

JamesChams

NO MORE DX9 texture limitations/issues in FSX DirectX10 Preview Mode

Gents,

Mr. Pete Dowson (developer of FSUIPC) pointed out this tool to us on a post he did recently; HERE.

This is what it does...

In this example, you'll see the Scweizer 300CBi (DX9 Textures) which I've loaded in FSX under DirectX10 Preview mode.

You've all seen this yourself, if you have a DX10 video card and a DX10 OS like Vista.

Also, This applies to scenery packages too.

post-13668-1233481167_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1233481197_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1233481177_thumb.jpg

NOT any more; with Addon Converter X v1.03 all you have to do is...

post-13668-1233481228_thumb.jpg

And the results are (for only $20.00 USD) ...

NO MORE DX9 limitations with ANY addon Aircraft/Scenery.

post-13668-1233481203_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1233481220_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1233481211_thumb.jpg

It works for every thing! (Sceneries, Aircraft, FS9 to FSX Ports, static objects, and in all PAYWARE/FREEWARE textures etc.).

Now, don't you'll think this is a great tool that most everyone needs/needed (especially developers).

Judge for yourself. :D

GET IT HERE: Addon Converter X v1.03

FYI: They include a FREE DEMO "Try before you buy" Version so, you can test things for yourselves.

PS: I though some of you might want to know, if you didn't already. ;)

And, I've done this to all my "limited" addons that developers are NOT likely to update. These were all declared as DX9 Textures and NOT DX10 compatible products. Happily, NOT any more. :D

Eaglesoft CitationX v1.0 --- CaptainSim's Shuttle --- JustFlight's Concorde Professional

post-13668-1233482348_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1233482357_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1233482365_thumb.jpg

--- ImaginSim's KATL ---

post-13668-1233483228_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1233483247_thumb.jpg

• Developer

Hi,

I have tested this tool... ...and it is not a big help in getting sceneries DX10 PREVIEW compatible.

The only thing it does is converting some textures into other graphic formats using the imagetool.exe file supported by the FS9 or FSX SDK. (which by the way could be done with imagetool directly without that programme)

But having a look at night time on the "converted" scenery will still show no textures on buildings using

other than FSX SDK models. This is a bug introduced in the DX10 PREVIEW (Mainly thats why it´s called a PREVIEW)

So maybe it´s a little help for users to get texture formats converted, but nothing more.

Thorsten

Hi,

I have tested this tool... ...and it is not a big help in getting sceneries DX10 PREVIEW compatible.

The only thing it does is converting some textures into other graphic formats using the imagetool.exe file supported by the FS9 or FSX SDK. (which by the way could be done with imagetool directly without that programme)

But having a look at night time on the "converted" scenery will still show no textures on buildings using

other than FSX SDK models. This is a bug introduced in the DX10 PREVIEW (Mainly thats why it´s called a PREVIEW)

So maybe it´s a little help for users to get texture formats converted, but nothing more.

Thorsten

Thank you Mr. Thorsten,

I'm glad you brough your expertise about these issues to this forum. I too am aware of some of the limitations (but NOT all).

However, for general "all" users manually converting each and every texture for all their addons is a feit that very few would want to do; So the main advantage of this tool (to users) is to do all the 1000's of file conversions for you and do it for all your addons, today, within minutes.

Now my question to you: With sceneries, can you manually convert those "night-time scenery" textures to the FSX SDK standard using Imagetools to bring it to DX10 Preview compatible mode? Maybe in the NEXT version if not with this one. ;) Moreover, It is only version 1.03 so there is lots of area for "growth" (I hope).

Thank you again for enlightening me (and others) to its limitations. :)

PS: I would like to hear from all the experts, in this area, as it is very useful knowledge to us users.

• Developer

Hi,

the "night problem" cannot be solved by any texture conversion. It´s a bug in the scenery engine only MS could have solved. But they stopped the development of the DX10 version on their way and therefore named it "PREVIEW". DX10 PREVIEW is far away from beeing a FULL DX10 version. BTW: Who knows if DX10 PREVIEW will continue working with upcoming OS like Win7???? maybe introducing a new DX 10.1 ????

So maybe not the bright DX10 future we all were told at the beginning of FSX.

And why dont I just make our sceneries in DX10 Preview versions?

Because DX10 PREVIEW ONLY supports FSX SDK generated objekts which HAVE A LOT OF OTHER LIMITATIONS as this is just pure 3 D code. No triggering, no seasonal changes, no visibilty ranges (only LODs), no ground Layering....

All existing "so called DX10 sceneries" are a combination of legacy and FSX code and run "more or less" but surely not perfect. (legaly) converting legacy sceneries to new code seems nearly impossible for me.

So staying at DX9 could be a good choice, as I personally cannot see any advantage using DX10 preview.

The visual appearance is the same and the frames aswell.

Thats my view as a scenery developer.

Hello Folks,

I have tried this Utility after reading the write up and went to EDDF, did a flyover and it really shows the issues on the ground with taxiways and runways etc. Basically if your after a complete DX10 fix then you may be disappointed, please try the demo version they have first.

Thank you Gentlemen,

Its good to be informed by everyone knowledgeable in the development side of the industry.

... please try the demo version they have first.

I, too (along with Mr. Shaun Fletcher), highly suggest that people try the DEMO version before you buy (especially if its a scenery fix your after).

But, I can say from personal experience that its worked 100% for All (DX9 textured) FSX RTM & SP1 (FSX Native) and All my (DX9 textured) FS2004 port-over Aircraft Models.

...the "night problem" cannot be solved by any texture conversion. It´s a bug in the scenery engine only MS could have solved. But they stopped the development of the DX10 version on their way and therefore named it "PREVIEW". DX10 PREVIEW is far away from beeing a FULL DX10 version. BTW: Who knows if DX10 PREVIEW will continue working with upcoming OS like Win7???? maybe introducing a new DX 10.1 ???? So maybe not the bright DX10 future we all were told at the beginning of FSX.

...Thats my view as a scenery developer.

For sceneries, I have only tested it on the ImagineSim KATL DEMO version and found NO problems, even with the "night textures." I will endeavour to do more test and let you all know. But thank you for clueing me in on the limitations.

Thank you gentlemen and Please continue to post informed information for all us users looking for solutions.

...I have tried this Utility after reading the write up and went to EDDF, did a flyover and it really shows the issues on the ground with taxiways and runways etc. ...

Mr. Shaun Fletcher,

The DEMO version is v1.02 (or earlier) and NOT version 1.03; after installing the DEMO Version you MUST install the Update to bring it to v1.03...

Next, I tried EDDF X in DirectX10 Preview before and After I applied this utility with my purchased Version 1.03.

And IT WORKS but NOT completely.

post-13668-1233640229_thumb.jpg

Please see for yourself ...

Here is the TERMINAL BUILDINGS at (EDDF X in DirectX10 Preview) NIGHT/DUSK BEFORE applying the Addon Convertor X v1.03.

post-13668-1233639442_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1233639454_thumb.jpg

Here is the TERMINAL BUILDINGS at (EDDF X in DirectX10 Preview) NIGHT/DUSK AFTER applying the Addon Convertor X v1.03.

post-13668-1233639570_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1233639618_thumb.jpg

post-13668-1233639601_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1233639586_thumb.jpg

At least we know it does work even though it may (CURRENTLY) have some limitations; this is definitely something I intend to pass along to its developers. Perhaps, they will figure out what's causing it and fix it, forthcoming.

Thank you Gentlemen for listening and bringing all your experience to this discussion.

• Developer

Hi James,

the entire "DX10" issues get more and more wired for me, because:

The Buildings you see "nightlighted" of EDDFX should also appear night lighted in DX10 BEFORE using the converter as this part is made in FSX SDK. Same problem for me with LFPG. Pete wrote that he had to convert the textures to get it working in DX10.

BUT it should have worked before at day time! I tested it at my DX10 PC (VISTA, 8800 GT) and everything looked fine without ANY CONVERSION. Most textures are DDS file format. This was introduced as the new graphic format for FSX. But now it seems to me that the problem you got with sceneries in DX10 at daytime is related to some new graphic cards or drivers not supporting the DDS format. DX10 is under constant development, so its hard to fix a design standard.

Investigation will continue, but its nearly impossible for me to get hands on every latest graphic hard- and software.

Could you post a screenshot showing LFPG at daytime in DX10 without any conversion that I can compare it with mine?

Thorsten,

sim-wings

Hi James,

the entire "DX10" issues get more and more wired for me, because:

The Buildings you see "nightlighted" of EDDFX should also appear night lighted in DX10 BEFORE using the converter as this part is made in FSX SDK. Same problem for me with LFPG. Pete wrote that he had to convert the textures to get it working in DX10.

BUT it should have worked before at day time! I tested it at my DX10 PC (VISTA, 8800 GT) and everything looked fine without ANY CONVERSION. Most textures are DDS file format. This was introduced as the new graphic format for FSX. But now it seems to me that the problem you got with sceneries in DX10 at daytime is related to some new graphic cards or drivers not supporting the DDS format. DX10 is under constant development, so its hard to fix a design standard.

Investigation will continue, but its nearly impossible for me to get hands on every latest graphic hard- and software.

Could you post a screenshot showing LFPG at daytime in DX10 without any conversion that I can compare it with mine?

Thorsten,

sim-wings

Mr. Thorsten,

I'll see what I can do when I get back from work (I'll be busy for the next few days). Also, I don't currently own LFPG (but It is on my next Bulk Order list) so, I can't help you with that one. Regarding the rest, I'm aware of some of the things you've mentioned. But, I'm still walking slowly in my pursuit of "truth/knowledge" about these issues.

Thank you all again for sharing your knowledge and experiences here.

• 3 weeks later...
The Buildings you see "nightlighted" of EDDFX should also appear night lighted in DX10 BEFORE using the converter as this part is made in FSX SDK. Same problem for me with LFPG. Pete wrote that he had to convert the textures to get it working in DX10. ...

...Investigation will continue, but its nearly impossible for me to get hands on every latest graphic hard- and software....

Mr. Thorsten (sim-wings),

Sorry, for the late response but, I wanted to be sure about things before I got back to you on the above issues.

HERE are my settings: (I'm using NVidia GeForce v182.06 Graphic Card Drivers for 8800GTX OC).

post-13668-1235209056_thumb.jpg

It WORKS 100% on DAY Textures on all Aerosoft Airports I've tried including Mega Airport Frankfurt X (EDDF) but ONLY the DAY Textures.

Here is EDDF X in a day shot in DX10:

post-13668-1235210678_thumb.jpg

The Dawn/Dusk and night textures are unchanged or some partial parts are changed. :huh::unsure:

post-13668-1235212333_thumb.jpg

I also tried on all of the GERMAN Airports 2 and the same as above

post-13668-1235213003_thumb.jpg

So, its only 50% where it needs to be ... But that's still better then nothing. ;)

Just continued FYI...

:)

• 1 month later...
Hi,

the "night problem" cannot be solved by any texture conversion. It´s a bug in the scenery engine only MS could have solved. But they stopped the development of the DX10 version on their way and therefore named it "PREVIEW". DX10 PREVIEW is far away from beeing a FULL DX10 version. BTW: Who knows if DX10 PREVIEW will continue working with upcoming OS like Win7???? maybe introducing a new DX 10.1 ????

So maybe not the bright DX10 future we all were told at the beginning of FSX.

And why dont I just make our sceneries in DX10 Preview versions?

Because DX10 PREVIEW ONLY supports FSX SDK generated objekts which HAVE A LOT OF OTHER LIMITATIONS as this is just pure 3 D code. No triggering, no seasonal changes, no visibilty ranges (only LODs), no ground Layering....

All existing "so called DX10 sceneries" are a combination of legacy and FSX code and run "more or less" but surely not perfect. (legaly) converting legacy sceneries to new code seems nearly impossible for me.

So staying at DX9 could be a good choice, as I personally cannot see any advantage using DX10 preview.

The visual appearance is the same and the frames aswell.

Thats my view as a scenery developer.

Hi Everyone

I have purchased the tool and use it on Heatrow Extreame with much better results than the default scenery. It also fixes many of the texture issues on aircraft.

Regarding framerates I would have to disagree about DX10 Preview as ATI Crossfire is only supported when in DX10 Preview mode which means better framerates with dual graphics cards such as the 4870X2, 3870X2 or two graphics cards.

Regards

Lufty

• 10 months later...

I am also looking at getting the converter. I use DX10 with Vista and notice that some landmark buildings disapear at night. I've read in other forums other people having the same issue and attributing it to DX10. Do you think the converter program will help bring back the missing buildings at night?

Your questions is answered in the first sentance of the post just before yours.

I read that the problem is not DX10 itself but rather that the Aces team misscoded some buildings and this resulted in them becoming invisible at night with DX10. If it is bad building coding and not DX10 itself, has anyone designed proper replacement buildings that will work in DX10? Maybe it's more complicated, but it seems like something you would see files for on Avsim or somewhere or maybe even a commercial product with replacement buildings/objects for the ones that turn invisible.