Aerosoft Sound System

• Aerosoft

It is not really a product but a module that was designed for the Catalina but will be retrofitted to all our FSX aircraft. We call it Aerosoft Sound System and we do ask you not to use the acronym of the product name. We know and we got to snigger everytime we write it. Call us big kids, ok? Aerosoft Sound System is a small bit of code that is called as a standard gauge (so as part of the panel). It solves a problem we had in FSX and at the same time it allows us to expand the sound options of FSX.

The problem we had in FSX was that it is simply hard to play sounds for things that were so easy to add sounds to in FS2004. Just switching on a light should make a click sound (switches in aircraft panels are almost always rather 'stiff' and need some power to more, so they tend to be rather loud) but in FSX this always was hard. We needed this solved in a real easy way but we also wanted to be able to play unlimited sounds for other things.

Take for example the Catalina. If you want to start that aircraft without the use of an external power cart you use the small APU that is available. Now in A B747 this is a nice clean small engine in the tail but in the Catalina it is a noisy two stroke generator (much like a lawn mower) that is hand started. Or take the wind shield wipers. You won't hear them loudly when the engines are running but let me tell you that they make a racket because the engine is between the left ear of the pilot and the right ear of the co-pilot. Now Aerosoft Sound System solves the problem and adds the options we needed. Default events like a system being activated all get sounds by default (so we detect the light being switched on, not the switch being moved) and we simple are able to tell the module what sound to play when what happens. So the moment we modeled the APU system for the Catalina it only takes us minutes to have it completely ready for sound.

After the Catalina is out we will add this as a free update to the Beaver, Twin Otter, F-16 and all our other FSX aircraft. It's cool, it's free and it will make FSX a far better sim. Stay tuned...

• Upvote 1

Mr. Mathijs Kok,

I'm glad to hear that (No "pun" intended :rolleyes: ); I've noticed the amazing 3D sound effects in your Seahawk/Jayhawk X, which seems to be a little lacking in the F-16 (even though TSS sounds are awesome) - they just seemed a little empty of some of the ambience that is in the real aircraft.

Look forward to these updates. :D

• Upvote 1

To get some better `layering` of the sounds in the sim is a long-held dream of mine. The cone system that FSX instigated works in one way, but compromises sound integrity in so many others that you are left wondering "What were they thinking..?"

This could be an interesting enhancement that I presume could be retrofitted to other aircraft..?

• Aerosoft
To get some better `layering` of the sounds in the sim is a long-held dream of mine. The cone system that FSX instigated works in one way, but compromises sound integrity in so many others that you are left wondering "What were they thinking..?"

This could be an interesting enhancement that I presume could be retrofitted to other aircraft..?

Retrofitted to our aircraft for sure but we'll not offer this as a 'product'. But as always we will not create problems if you want to move a gauge from one aircraft to another. If you bought it you can do what you want with it.

• Upvote 1

This sounds amazing Mathijs! It's often these "little" things that make the experience more immersive. They aren't flashy per se, but once you start using them you can't stop. I'm excited to hear the new sounds.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

wow this is quite amazing i always disliked the lack of realism in fsx when it comes to sounds excpessialy flybys near the tower i would love the A.S.S. (no pun intended)