Ooms, Ctds And Maybe More ...

Start ANY flight on an AES supported airport, call up the AES window, close it, then move to your departure airport. This seems to be a MANDATORY procedure, AES MUST remain in memory over the entire flight.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HALLO :unsure: Does anyone know??? it's important for me to know... Because I'm close to install Vista 64 bit med 8 GB ram with Intel Core i7 CPU. Then I can fly both simulators.... :D

But have someone witnessed OOM on the config above?

Regards

Frank

My personal opinion and experience with Vista64 is: skip it and wait until Windows 7. There are indeed OOMs as well with Vista, and plenty of other problems, too. I am running both FS on XPSP3 with the 3GB patch, and the system is slick and stable as never before, not only with FS but professional audio and video editing software as well.

• Developer

Ok,

here some background info:

When you start the FS, AES is not loaded automatically, only the Vistamare DLLs goes active, but they only need a small part of the memory <1kb, and do nothing more.

As long as you don't start a flight at a AES enabled airport and you aircraft get in the area (<10KM) around this airport, no AES code line is in memory, as is not active.

When you get in this area the first time, the first AES BGL will be loaded by the FS and the AES code starts to work, when this Module is able to load. When the FS has no more memory to load this Module, you get a OOM as you get it with all other scenery BGLs.

Is the AES BGL loaded the first time after the FS was started, AES will first allocate PC memory to store later informations need to process the airports. This memory is allocated once and will be active over the howl session (until you stop the FS). If the PC is out of Memory, this could fail, maybe you get a OOM or a warning from AES, that is failed loading.

This part makes it important, that you place the Airport first on a AES supported airport, so that AES can allocated this internal memory a this point. It could help to prevent problems, when AES has to do this under low memory conditions later on flight time.

But, even when this memory is allready allocated successfull, there are issues within the FS internal memory handlings, which can generate OOM or CDT later, when you arrive to an complex airport under low memory conditions. AES Code modules must be loaded, Library object like Jetways needs memory to been shown and also the AES code modules itself need some (low) memory to get loaded. When the FS is not able to do that, because you have bad landclass files, not optimized Panels, other memory consuming processes, the FS will react with very different crashes in all part of modules, result are CTD's in g3d.dll, atc.dll, FE.dll all related to that part, which has the problem first.

AES try to protect all it is able to do, but when the AES code is not able to load, I could not react in any form.

The only possible solution (hard to do, but I don't see any other way) is to keep you FS clean, check all memory consuming products (scenery, panels and addons).

The primary problem in memory eatings are the non correct designed landclasses, as they catch memory very fast (as faster as you PC is, as faster the memory is gone). Here only filemon can help to detect such Sceneries, where BMPs are not found locatly.

Also Aircrafts can be a problem, when there Panel components (like FMC) will collect memory which the flight and don't give it back, when it is not needed anymore.

Mostly a combination of all this parameters will generate the OOM/CTD problem. AES is mostly the last component in the arrival, which needs to be loaded, so AES will not "gernerate" the problem, it only shows it up.

I will always try to keep an eye on all this memory effectiv issues, but I can only optimize it, but I can't solve problems gernerated somewhere else in the FS session.

Thanks Oliver for this clarification.

As detecting such hazardous programs is difficult, is there maybe a way to have a program detect possible memory leaks automatically? Any warning before a possible crash would be favorable. A helpful crashdump of recently accessed files might make it possible to find the bad scenery .bgl, texture, aircraft, module...

I am sorry I am not into Windows programming so deeply.

Thanks Oliver for this clarification.

As detecting such hazardous programs is difficult, is there maybe a way to have a program detect possible memory leaks automatically? Any warning before a possible crash would be favorable. A helpful crashdump of recently accessed files might make it possible to find the bad scenery .bgl, texture, aircraft, module...

I am sorry I am not into Windows programming so deeply.

You can do that yourself using filemon, filtering for fs9.exe and errors

However, not every event logged as an error IS an error. For example, FS will look for gauges in several places, e.g. the GAUGES directory and the corresponding panel directory. Filemon will then list one error but still succeed to load the file from another source.

It's not that easy, and the best cure is NOT to install everything found at AVSIM etc. but to carefully pick those addons REALLY needed.

• Developer

Thanks Nick.

Here some infos for Users, who want to use Filemon to check the Sceneries:

Download and documentation for Filemon can be found HERE

- First start the FS and place the Aircraft on the airport you want to test the Scenery

- Start Filemon

- Select the Drive of you FS under the Volume Tab in the menu

- Set the Filter as shown on this Picture post-77-1236607509_thumb.jpg

- Then wait for 1-2 Minutes, if you see errors in the Filemon screen like you see below

1    2:23:59 PM    FS9.EXE:3952    QUERY INFORMATION    D:\FS2004\aerosoft\balearen-gibraltar\ibiza_lc\TEXTURE\041B2Lm5.bmp            Attributes: Error    
2    2:23:59 PM    FS9.EXE:3952    QUERY INFORMATION    D:\FS2004\aerosoft\balearen-gibraltar\ibiza_lc\TEXTURE\043B2Lm3.bmp    FILE NOT FOUND    Attributes: Error    
3    2:23:59 PM    FS9.EXE:3952    QUERY INFORMATION    D:\FS2004\aerosoft\balearen-gibraltar\ibiza_lc\TEXTURE\043B2Lm7.bmp    FILE NOT FOUND    Attributes: Error    
4    2:23:59 PM    FS9.EXE:3952    QUERY INFORMATION    D:\FS2004\aerosoft\balearen-gibraltar\ibiza_lc\TEXTURE\043B2Lm4.bmp    FILE NOT FOUND    Attributes: Error    
5    2:24:00 PM    FS9.EXE:3952    QUERY INFORMATION    D:\FS2004\aerosoft\balearen-gibraltar\ibiza_lc\TEXTURE\043B2Lm5.bmp    FILE NOT FOUND    Attributes: Error    
6    2:24:00 PM    FS9.EXE:3952    QUERY INFORMATION    D:\FS2004\aerosoft\balearen-gibraltar\ibiza_lc\TEXTURE\030B2Lm3.bmp    FILE NOT FOUND    Attributes: Error    
7    2:24:00 PM    FS9.EXE:3952    QUERY INFORMATION    D:\FS2004\aerosoft\balearen-gibraltar\ibiza_lc\TEXTURE\030B2Lm1.bmp    FILE NOT FOUND    Attributes: Error    
8    2:24:00 PM    FS9.EXE:3952    QUERY INFORMATION    D:\FS2004\aerosoft\balearen-gibraltar\ibiza_lc\TEXTURE\030B2Lm4.bmp    FILE NOT FOUND    Attributes: Error    
9    2:24:00 PM    FS9.EXE:3952    QUERY INFORMATION    D:\FS2004\aerosoft\balearen-gibraltar\ibiza_lc\TEXTURE\030B2Lm6.bmp    FILE NOT FOUND    Attributes: Error    
10    2:24:19 PM    FS9.EXE:3952    QUERY INFORMATION    D:\FS2004\aerosoft\balearen-gibraltar\ibiza_lc\TEXTURE\035B2Lm6.bmp    FILE NOT FOUND    Attributes: Error

where Bitmap names like 043B2Lm7.bmp are included and not found in the TEXTURE Path of the scenery, this will indicate a Problem with the Landclass.

In the case of the Simwings Ibiza Scenery, in the original installation, the files LC_048_018.bgl and WC_048_018.bgl are in the normal Scenery Directory Ibiza_2004\Scenery, where a TEXTURE Subdir is beside for the Scenery BMP's. To solve this, I add a new Directory Ibiza_LC\Scenery where I moved the two files and add this as a new entry to the scenery library. As long as no TEXTURE subdir is present there, the problem is solved. To generate the log, I simply add a empty Texture Subfolder and the problem can be shown.

When you see a FILE NOT FOUND like this for a scenery, then you know that this scenery has a problem. Maybe you don't know which BGL is the source of the problem, but you that it is maybe better to disable thatone. When you make this test after you install a addon scenery, you can be on a saver state.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish to thank all people (and specially Oliver) who have worked and tested on this topic.

Thanks to you, I am able to flight again with france VFR scenery, the 3Go patch and AES together, without getting OOM or CTD anymore :P:P:P .

It is the first time that I see a support from a product solving a problem that is not directly related to it. (even as it was part of <_< ). In most case, we just receive a "this is not our product fault, see with the other add-on support team", and vice -versa :angry: .

So again, thanks a lot for AES, and for your great support.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I actually don't really know where to start.

I am having this OOM's now for a few months, i have been seeking through all forums and tried everything I could find. I am using a plenty of add ons for my FS2004, about 30 and of course the most likely ones. Now after months this thread seems to be the most interesting for me since this opens a new way to solve it. I have even tried this 4gb patch with changing user VA and all the stuff, but then, after solving the OOM's the DLL probs occured, as expected... G3D.dll and so on. now it seems like the thing with the landclass is the only way to finally solve it. Coz im getting really angry, every flight seems like a coin flip, maybe it works or not. Of course I am using AES, and I love it, and im not flying from one AES to a non AES airport or the other way round. So AES is always active since all my destinations and departures have full AES support.

So my question is now: Since this thread is older now and the last post is 2 months old, can I expect that my beloved flightsimulator is gonna work if I do so as instructed seeking for LC files and changing them to different dir? I mean I am not expecting a super answer, just a little hint or anything, or maybe there has been some progress in the investigations?

Since my FSX with addons doesnt even work properly on my very expensive close to high end pc, I don't wanna miss my fs2004 if I have to go back to it. Coz the only reason I put my back on it was the OOM and DLL issue.

I hope u can help me, since this was the only forum which could give me at least a little hope to get over this.

So at the end some system specifications

Windows Vista 64bit 8GB Ram

Intel Core2Quad Q9650 3Ghz

Nvidia Geforce GTX260

Nvidia Gefore 8800 (im using 2 graphicdevices for 4 monitor use)

My system has changed now to get it ready for the FSX, so my prior system was different with XP 32 so I don't think this specs were really usefull, but maybe with it I have better chances to solve the OOM stuff, although I know 64bit is not the solution for the OOM's

So thats it 4 now

best regards Dominik

PS: Thanks Oliver Papst for inventing AES, u made gave FS a soul

So furthermore a good evening and a good time :rolleyes:

Hi everybody,

I actually don't really know where to start.

I am having this OOM's now for a few months, i have been seeking through all forums and tried everything I could find. I am using a plenty of add ons for my FS2004, about 30 and of course the most likely ones. Now after months this thread seems to be the most interesting for me since this opens a new way to solve it. I have even tried this 4gb patch with changing user VA and all the stuff, but then, after solving the OOM's the DLL probs occured, as expected... G3D.dll and so on. now it seems like the thing with the landclass is the only way to finally solve it. Coz im getting really angry, every flight seems like a coin flip, maybe it works or not. Of course I am using AES, and I love it, and im not flying from one AES to a non AES airport or the other way round. So AES is always active since all my destinations and departures have full AES support.

So my question is now: Since this thread is older now and the last post is 2 months old, can I expect that my beloved flightsimulator is gonna work if I do so as instructed seeking for LC files and changing them to different dir? I mean I am not expecting a super answer, just a little hint or anything, or maybe there has been some progress in the investigations?

Since my FSX with addons doesnt even work properly on my very expensive close to high end pc, I don't wanna miss my fs2004 if I have to go back to it. Coz the only reason I put my back on it was the OOM and DLL issue.

I hope u can help me, since this was the only forum which could give me at least a little hope to get over this.

So at the end some system specifications

Windows Vista 64bit 8GB Ram

Intel Core2Quad Q9650 3Ghz

Nvidia Geforce GTX260

Nvidia Gefore 8800 (im using 2 graphicdevices for 4 monitor use)

My system has changed now to get it ready for the FSX, so my prior system was different with XP 32 so I don't think this specs were really usefull, but maybe with it I have better chances to solve the OOM stuff, although I know 64bit is not the solution for the OOM's

So thats it 4 now

best regards Dominik

PS: Thanks Oliver Papst for inventing AES, u made gave FS a soul

So furthermore a good evening and a good time :rolleyes:

So it do happen on Vista 64 bit??? Damn... :blink: I am surprised.

• Developer
Hi everybody,

Hi, even when the thread is old, the problem is still the same: Memory leaks somewhere in the sceneries, damaged Textures of AI Traffic or memory consuming Aircraft addons. All this can generate OOMs or Memory related CTDs.

Before you start searching for LC files, maybe make this test first:

- Backup the scenery.cfg file you find in the FS Main directory

- Start FS and go to the scenery Library

- Go to the buttom of the list above the default entries (normally the last default is "Propeller Object")

- Go up the list and uncheck all entries expect:

- depature airport

- destination airport

- AES Basepack of course

- and maybe existing Global Meshes and well updated LC payware Addons like Ultimate Terrain

Then make you flight. In this case, only the needed Addons are active, all other are not relevant.

When the flight is successful (maybe you make some more with this trick), you have the first indication, that one of the addons could generate problems, even when they are only overfilght.

Then you can reactivate the other entries step by step to see, when the problem comes back.

If this trick don't solve the problem, maybe the start or destination Airport Addon is buggy or you have another problem, like 24bit Textures on AI-Traffic (-> try to make a flight with AI Traffic set to 0%) or the aircraft you use is the source of the problem (-> Try to fly with a different Aircraft)

I would expect, that the first step (only source/dest airport active in the Scenery Library) will give you a positiv result.

• Developer
So it do happen on Vista 64 bit??? Damn... :blink: I am surprised.

The operation system has no effect to the problem. When there is a memory leak, you will have it on every OS and based on the situation, that the FS is a 32bit Application, you will always be limited to 2GB memory offsets internally.

The operation system has no effect to the problem. When there is a memory leak, you will have it on every OS and based on the situation, that the FS is a 32bit Application, you will always be limited to 2GB memory offsets internally.

So Oliver, are you telling me that on vista 64 bit OS with 8 GB of ram, the FS9 only use 2 GB of them or what? and how many are FSX using? :rolleyes:

• Developer
So Oliver, are you telling me that on vista 64 bit OS with 8 GB of ram, the FS9 only use 2 GB of them or what? and how many are FSX using? :rolleyes:

A memory offset in a 32 Bit application can not be larger then +-2GB, because this is the limit of a 32bit long value. When you need to adress a jump or call, you will need to address this memory. A relative offset can not be larger then 2GB.

As I know (maybe I am wrong here), the FS9 and FSX will use max 2GB of the available memory.

Only when you have a 64bit Application, there are no address limits.

Hey guys, first and foremost thanks for the very very quick support.

I have one more question:

Could it be an appropiate solution to deactivate addon landclass? I.e. of all the airports, which mostly, if I am right cause the memory leak? I mean the thing is, I have UTE ( of course patched to the latest versions) and FS Global 2008 also installed, they offer their own landclass. So my thought is now, if its the add on airports which cause them, wouldn't it be just possible to deactivate them or eliminate them? Or would it cause further problems for example missing scenery or whatever? I once had that problem when I used Flight Sim Manager which is able to find malfunctional LC and relocate them. When I did so and approached these airports I had grey squares all over the airport, huge pieces of the scenery were missing! Is there any way to do so without having those problems and is it a possible solution to get over the memory leak thing which obviously causes 90% of the OOM or G3D.dll stuff. I'm really afraid to use the often mentioned 4gb patch again, I used it and I thought it was over, but the problem only changed to a different failure, g3d.dll... Seems like nothing is working. I wonder if it ever will be possible with fs9 or fsx to fly larger distances or a longer time without praying. I mean who wants to wait for an fs11 which I think won't come within the next years, and who has paid a lot of money for current add ons.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Developer
Gibt`s schon irgendwas neues von der OOM - Front ? ist ja nicht so, da das Problem nicht mehr existieren würde <_< ...

Sorry, but I don't understand german here. But all we have done in AES 2.01 should fix all AES driven CTD. OOM are not AES created.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Oliver,

maybe this is not a topic about AES but, with the help of your system, i discovered a problem that i thought was due to AES 2.

Flying from Belfast Extreme UK2000 to Hannover Aerosoft, in approach to EDDV i always had an OOM or *.dll failure and consequently CTD.

So i tried your sytem, wiht Filemon, and i discovered a "bug" in Belfast UK 2000.

Some files are missing in the directory Texture of Belfast.

The solution is very simple, just to copy the following .bmp files from directory \Fs2004\Scenery\World\texture to directory texture in Belfast Extreme (usually \Fs2004\UK2000 scenery\UK2000 Belfast xtreme\texture)

047B2Sp4.bmp

027B2Sp4.bmp

056A2Su4.bmp

047B2Sp1.bmp

027B2Sp1.bmp

056A2Su1.bmp

047B2Sp2.bmp

027B2Sp2.bmp

056A2Su2.bmp

047B2Sp6.bmp

027B2Sp6.bmp

056A2Su6.bmp

047B2Sp7.bmp

027B2Sp7.bmp

056A2Su7.bmp

047B2Sp5.bmp

027B2Sp5.bmp

056A2Su5.bmp

047B2M17.bmp

900B2M17.bmp

047B2Sp3.bmp

027B2Sp3.bmp

056A2Su3.bmp

047B2M14.bmp

900B2M14.bmp

047B2M13.bmp

900B2M13.bmp

047B2M15.bmp

900B2M15.bmp

047B2M16.bmp

900B2M16.bmp

047B2M11.bmp

900B2M11.bmp

Just for information

Thank you for your great AES!!!

Stefano

• 2 weeks later...

It happens to me often when flying multiple legs. Yesterday I flew from Manila (Freeware) to Hong Kong (Tampa) and then on to Bangkok (Freeware) -> CTD on short final in VTBS. I do sometimes get CTDs, but always within a mile or two around the airport. It happens to me in payware products with AES support and in freeware products without AES support. Is there a possibility that AES affects also non AES sceneries (to check somehow if they use AES) ? I'm running FS9 on VISTA64 with 8GB memory... Any ideas?

I try and check with that filemon tool (found out that you have to use process monitor for VISTA) to see if there are some issues with that, but I never get OOMs just CTDs...

cheers,

tobi

• Developer

It happens to me often when flying multiple legs. Yesterday I flew from Manila (Freeware) to Hong Kong (Tampa) and then on to Bangkok (Freeware) -> CTD on short final in VTBS. I do sometimes get CTDs, but always within a mile or two around the airport. It happens to me in payware products with AES support and in freeware products without AES support. Is there a possibility that AES affects also non AES sceneries (to check somehow if they use AES) ? I'm running FS9 on VISTA64 with 8GB memory... Any ideas?

I try and check with that filemon tool (found out that you have to use process monitor for VISTA) to see if there are some issues with that, but I never get OOMs just CTDs...

cheers,

tobi

Which version of AES did you use?

CTD are often generated by OOM issues, depending on the time they happens. Mostly windows has no time to inform you about a OOM situation, the Modules Crashes before.

When you approach to a non AES airport, AES is doing nothing, no line of code is in the memory.

Archived