Bell 205 Huey

Some scenery would be nice, but the helicopter is more important. Not sure if anyone said this yet, but you should have the furture versions, the Bell UH-1N (Civilain is Bell 212) and the Marines new one, the UH-1Y (Closest thing to the UH-1Y is the Bell 412, but the UH-1Y still looks very different). This is a link for a picture of the UH-1Y: http://www.vectorsite.net/avhuey_13.jpg

Wow this Huey is looking beautiful. I'm a Huey Co-Pilot for California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, an would really like to see a Cal-Fire skin on this amazing huey. Do you think that would be possible Mathijs. I have the pictures too. Thanks

also is there any admin who could change my name I accidentally added an I in Fire. :(

--

Chris(Cal-Fire)

Wow this Huey is looking beautiful. I'm a Huey Co-Pilot for California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, an would really like to see a Cal-Fire skin on this amazing huey. Do you think that would be possible Mathijs. I have the pictures too. Thanks

also is there any admin who could change my name I accidentally added an I in Fire. :(

--

Chris(Cal-Fire)

You can change your display name in your My Controls tab, but you still have to login with your present name though.

I have always appreciated the quality of Aerosoft products. When the Hughes Racer came out, I was completely blown away by its realism and it is now the only airplane I fly. But, I have always been a rotorhead, and eagerly look forward to making this aircraft my favorite. The detail of the modeling is fantastic, my compliments to Charles. My only constructive comment is that I don't think the U.S Army ever had D model gunships, all the gunships I ever saw were either B, C or M models. I could be wrong, I am by no means an expert. We had CH-47 gunships, so anything is possible. I did, however, spend 15 years flying gunships/attack helicopters for the U.S. Army and have never seen a D model gunship.

For what it's worth

Skip King

Mr. Mathijs Kok,

Your teams work is outstanding!

1. When will this bird be ready?

2. Will you also be implementing failure proceedures in this Huey model and the upcoming F-16 as well? (Like in the H-1b)

Thank you.

Mr. Mathijs Kok,

Your teams work is outstanding!

2. Will you also be implementing failure proceedures in this Huey model and the upcoming F-16 as well? (Like in the H-1b)

Thank you.

From what I have understanded no release date have been set because project is still in early stages.

Normal FSX failures probably will be included but not that comprehensive as in Hughes H-1

Note that these are just my opinions and understandments and I have nothing to do with aerosoft.

When he says the project is in "very early stages", it's not very likely he is going to do an about-face and give a release date. I do also believe he stated on this very page that standard FSX failures will be implemented but this project is more about modeling than systems. I would certainly read these threads before posting questions as you always seem to ask whats already been answered.

Gents,

Sometimes a question(s) are re-visited to get a more concrete answer or for clarification from the staff or developers. Many people, such as yourselves, have opinions too that may or many not have anything to do with the truth about the development. Which is, why I ask my questions directly to the staff. Its not because I don't value your opinions but it is just that - they are your opinions NOT necessarily the facts. More importantly, I don't believe that the failure modeling issue was presented as part of this post for the models I asked about either and there have been delays in the release of current models so my inquirey was to find out if there is a new timetable or predicted release date.

No offense was intended to either of you. But my questions were to get info about the Huey and upcoming F-16 modeling the Failure systems that FSX provides as part of the enhanced realism of the models. I'm sure that you both can agree that hasn't been answered and neither of you could present the fact about it either. So, I'm asking the staff directly.

Now maybe we can all go back to our own business for a while and wait for the developers to present any factual information and avoid heresay.

Thank you for your understanding.

Gents,

Sometimes a question(s) are re-visited to get a more concrete answer or for clarification from the staff or developers. Many people, such as yourselves, have opinions too that may or many not have anything to do with the truth about the development. Which is, why I ask my questions directly to the staff. Its not because I don't value your opinions but it is just that - they are your opinions NOT necessarily the facts. More importantly, I don't believe that the failure modeling issue was presented as part of this post for the models I asked about either and there have been delays in the release of current models so my inquirey was to find out if there is a new timetable or predicted release date.

No offense was intended to either of you. But my questions were to get info about the Huey and upcoming F-16 modeling the Failure systems that FSX provides as part of the enhanced realism of the models. I'm sure that you both can agree that hasn't been answered and neither of you could present the fact about it either. So, I'm asking the staff directly.

Now maybe we can all go back to our own business for a while and wait for the developers to present any factual information and avoid heresay.

Thank you for your understanding.

These two posts from Mathijs was the base of our ansers, from experience I can say that 'very early stages' means that they can't say actual release date. And he clearly says that standard FSX failures will be implemented but nothing much more.

No beta yet, very early stages now.

For sure all standard FSX failures will be implemented, but this will be a project based more on modeling then on systems.

Hope you don't get this as offense, I just try to say our 'opinions' are not totally imaginary.  ;)

Dear Mathijs ;)

Some hours ago I discovered your "Bell 205 Huey" and I can say to you that your helicopter is one truth miracle a real ART !!!

I am a very big fan of "Huey" and I am very incited by your work !

You can inform us about the date of publication of this addon, if it's possible ?

PS: I'm very sorry for my poor English, do you live in France ?

If yes do you speak French ?

Great job, c'est wonderful.

Bye, Skull.

• Aerosoft
Dear Mathijs ;)

Some hours ago I discovered your "Bell 205 Huey" and I can say to you that your helicopter is one truth miracle a real ART !!!

I am a very big fan of "Huey" and I am very incited by your work !

You can inform us about the date of publication of this addon, if it's possible ?

PS: I'm very sorry for my poor English, do you live in France ?

If yes do you speak French ?

Great job, c'est wonderful.

Bye, Skull.

It will be a while before this one is completed, first of all because it is at this moment on hold while another project is completed. But this fall you'll be making whoop whoop sounds!

And yes, I do live in France (actually I am Aerosoft France more or less) but I'm not too good at the local lingo.

Still holding out for the Warthog

The new C model would be sweeeet ;)

saw this on the tube last week,too bad the whole 10 minute video wasn't here

Randy

I'll assume this level of detail is only available in an FSX model. Which I don't plan on installing (FSX) again

Are there plans for an FS2004 model also? This I would gladly cater too ;)

Any particular reason you're sworn off FSX? I was too for a while, But once the hardware caught up, its a dream! Im Running an HP media center PC with dual core 2 DUOs and an NVidia 8800 GTS card. I usually get 35 FPS or more in rural areas with nearly all the sliders turned all the way up. And I do it on a 50 inch flat screen HDTV for a monitor with 1360X768X32 resolution! Cities are still a little sticky though, but I like the sticks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and the reason is the UH-1.

I am from Greece and I''l be glad to see the HUEY in our colours.

We still use them.At that time we use about 130 UH-1H + some that airforce use.

I serve them 10 years now as an engine technician and flying engineer.

I'll be very happy to help you about this project and i wish to be the 1st good helicopter model and a detailed one.

Thanks,

Andrew

• Aerosoft
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and the reason is the UH-1.

I am from Greece and I''l be glad to see the HUEY in our colours.

We still use them.At that time we use about 130 UH-1H + some that airforce use.

I serve them 10 years now as an engine technician and flying engineer.

I'll be very happy to help you about this project and i wish to be the 1st good helicopter model and a detailed one.

Thanks,

Andrew

Would you be able to supply us with good images? We got problems finding those as the Greeks still think the Huey contains loads of secrets that the Russians pay millions for.

Btw.... I happen to think our Seahawk is pretty solid as well, lol

Gentlemen:

My complements. Truth is I don't know where to start. The UH-1H is extensively used by the Philippine Air Force under the 205th Tactical Operations Wing. She is a beauty. I like the following detail on the product you are working notably:

1. Main Rotor (M/R) Mast - Incredible detail, showing M/R pitch link, stabilizer bar, lead lag hinge, scissors sleeve, swash plate assembly, I noticed the missing clutch, but perhaps because this is still an on-going project, the clutch is the shaft like assembly connecting the M/R transmission to the engine torque shaft. You have to climb on top of the Huey open the latched cover just behind the HF antenna. Reach down and find out if it can free wheel. Thats part of External Pre-flight, but I guess thats not practical in virtual flying. (M/R) Hub, this things solid, can crush someone, what you showed us is the correct shape. Again, this project will make plenty sleepless until they purchase.

2. Tail Rotor (T/R)- I can see the (T/R) pitch links, I see the FM antenna sticking out to the right and away from the spinning T/R blades, that is correct. T/R Hub assembly looks as the real thing. 90 degree gearbox also looks exactly just like the real thing, I have no complaints. Yeah the Tail light. Its white when lit. Also I see the tail skid, or T/R guard, it hits the ground tells the pilot via cyclic stick input that he is about to ruin his tail rotor and military career for excessive angle of attack on landing approaches.

3. Tail Boom - it captures the sexiness of this helicopter. A word about weathering, the tail boom catches a lot of the exhaust, the upper portion of the tail boom is usually soothed even with the IR suppressors installed on the exhaust. The horizontal stabilizers leading edges also gets a bit soothed. The Air Force ensignia and markings are sometimes blotted out by the exhaust.

4. Feuselage- The shape is exactly dead on, in evey angle you look at it. That part of the nose where you placed the 1st Air Cavalry shield is the access panel to the 24VDC NiCad Battery, press the two circles to unlatch it and open by swinging it up and over toward the windscreen, you get to see the avionics bay, and the huge and heavy battery. The machines here has the bulges sort of like crocodile eyes if viewed from the front, this contains the RWR (Radar Warning Reciever) PAF dont have them, US Army didnt include it when selling them to 3rd world allied countries. The machines that the PAF has comes from the stocks at Corpus Cristi in Texas. The squares on the side of the feuselade just behind the doors where the pilots enter, are actually where you stick you're foot in, when you climb on top. The green canopy on top of each pilots is a thin but durable plexiglass, in an emergency, you can use a ballpen to escape thorugh it. Oh underneath is the Manhole, it is a manhole size jole streight to the some vulnerable spots, transmission gearbox as the mechanics call it.

5. Cabin - The way it is progressing, any Huey pilot or crew chief would not dis-agree. Just a minor request for some eye candy, place a can or two of 2380 Turbo Oil on the bottom circle that runs from the floor to the cieling, crew always bring some just in case. If this is not possible, then perhaps a canvas forst aid pouch near the cieling above behind the co-pilots armor seat. The grey thing that you see covering all the structural panels underneath it, its fire resistant covers with asbestos inside, the yellowith cotoon fiber like material can cause TB with minute dust particles suspended in the air, I guess the people who fly and work on a Huey dont get them, because its open air and windy at times in the flight line. The main doors slide to the rear when you open, using the door latch handle and sliding the whole door all the way to the door gunners position. When starting, it is slightly closed back so the fire guards can be ready with an extinguisher they would stick on the side of the feuselage just before you get to where the tail boom begins. After start, the gunners slide back the doors fully open and secure it.

6. Gun mount - I didnt see any troop transport version where the Huey is equipt with the M-60D. The Filipinos fighting communist insurgents and Abu Sayyaf bandits in the south got rid of the ammunition belt guid. its that thick belt like flexible thing you see sticking out the side of the ammunition box and ending in the feed to the machine gun in a wide arc, the filipino's have mowed down rebels by swivling it beyond the flexible range of this guide chute, also the ejection basket that looks like a strange bag on the right side of the M-60D is to collect all those empty casings. In Place of the guide belt is a simple empty tin can or local sardines, to guide the ammunition belt to the feed, with out the bag, the crew can see much of the action through peripheral, such as what looked like logs with legs running and toppling down motionless to the ground when the crew would fire in a zig zag stitching pattern on say a column of rebels running for cover.

Cockpit - Here is my request. If you are going to do the night lighting, please make the cockpit glow red at night. Like on a sleazy private dance booth. The reason for this like most aircraft cockpit at night, is for in-depth focusing. Any pilot would tell you, it is very difficult to see details outside when it is brightly lit inside the cockpit. In a helicopter, especially military flying, unlighted antennas or other objects that could have been outlined as a shadow outside would remain unseen with bright dome lights. Make a switch for the dome lights, overhead panel, just below the wiper switches as I recall, the switches rotate to increase the light intensity, but there is a three place selector switch Dome white center off Red up. Man am too old for the world. I believe you guys at Aerosoft probably know this by now. Armor seats please for the military variant. Center consoles are radio and radio nav, engine and hydraulic switches and at the top most the warning announciators. The Fuel shut off valve is located in the center console not far from you're left hand when you rest it on the collective. This swithes on the Fuel pump that you hear before you squeeze the ignition trigger on the collective stick. Of course, turn off the audio warning after Battery on, its that annoying soft Toingk Toingk Toingk repitative audio tone you hear in you're helmet when something has gone very bad, like an engine flame out and that kind of stuff. Battery swith is on the forward part overhead panel, next to the OAT indicator. Center console at the rear most toward the cabin, is the map case. Just a box the with no cover but enouch to accomodate two thick telephone directories if you get the idea. Seldom use it as a map case, its where the aircraft logbook is placed, one left behind at HQ, the other we bring along and update every after flight. Thats the paperwork for everyone after every mission. Copy the one we borught to the one on file left behind at the HQ. Name Rank and sign. For the pilots their os the DPOR forms Detailed Post Operational Report. Oh boy this has nothing to do with MSFS virtual flying already sorry, let me move on to the next.

Antennas - The Pitot tube is the semi U like tube pointing forward, just next to this is the WSPS antenna or wire strike protection system hence the accronym. Working our way towards the Main Rotor Mast, its the UHF, this is the antenna that sticks out angled forward, then bending back at extreme angles to the rear, slightly left of center, behind that is the HF antenna, like a long thin handlebar, but its got NO STEP painted on top of it. Some slicks have a while thin cable running the length of the tail boom. This is the ADF antenna, for those equipt with the old AN/ARN sets. The dorsal fin that you see on top and it is not far from the Pitot tube is the VHF antenna.

Exterior Lights - Noticeably on even during daylight, is the rotating beacon. Like a big protruding adulterated pimple sticking out on top of the engine section, on top and near where the exahust is located. The Nav lights are where they should be nice work gentlemen. The switch is on the overhead console.

Skids - They look great, just make the rear cross tube squat just a bit, so that the helicopter would be slightly pitching up when settled on the ground. The rear cross tube bears a lot more punishment than the forward cross tube.

Sound - The battery switch makes a metalic click, and the gyro's begin to whirl, like a distant turbine engine whining alive. The igniter is the first thing you hear ticking audibly, followed by a slow and sluggish low pitch turbine whine, the whine pitch increases slowly and the igniter ticking sound is cancelled out as the turbine whines louder and louder, the loud hiss you hear at 4,000 RPM is the pressure of expanding gasses inside the can annular combustion system of the engine. Brown smoke does come out the exahust, fuel left on the system after the last shutdown are leaked out the helicopter, oh the sweet smell of burned jet fuel, and the RPM rises, you can feel the power, the blades swing faster and faster but at a slow phase, rocking the Huey from side to side, then it shallows the rocking to a steady shaking on you're seat, if you spoke on the intercom, it is like listening to someone talk to you while beating his chest in cync with the blades RPM rotation. At 4,000 RPM its more like a Vap Vap Vap Vap kind of sound as each blade passes. At 6,600 RPM the thumping is audible, she's no longer joking, air sliced by the blades into submission, then off the pad, defying gravity. The constant noise inside will assult the uninitiated, the low whine of the turbine, the sound of air sliced by a heavy blade. In a turn it would sound like flat paddle hitting water as the blade pitch changes. Similar to an M-60 machine gun but definitley not the loud disticntive poping sound of the guns. The sound if struck by bullets? Try driving a car and someone threw huge rocks at you, that is a hit from a terrorist not far, less than a hundred feet below. But what the heck, you won't need to simulate that horrible sound.

All of what I just described is for the UH-1H variant. Not the civilian Model 205 where the tail rotor is on the right side and no FM antenna, FM is for military use, talking to ground forces during air to ground operations. The D model has the pitot tube sticking out the nose co-pilot side from where the RWR should be such as the example you are showing us, neat. See PAF Helicopter 746 on the movie Platoon by Oliver Stone. She took 70 hits while taking off from an army detatchment, 50 of it through and through, and both pilots flew her out and back to base with the gunner getting a bullet lodged in his leg. One of the pilots would become the squadron commander several years later. But then am degressing from you're interests. 746 is a D model. Typical missions are troop transport, medical evacuations are rare, usually soldiers are waylaid dead on the spot, the stench and what remains of them is the downside of flying Hueys in the PAF, getting re-acquainted with the last meal consumed followed by loss of appetite for some time. Typhoon relief are more common than medevac. Again, this is typical Philippine (some say pathetic) Air Force missions.

I got some old pictures here but lost most of it over the course of surviving up to this point. I just wish you can release this product with no issues whatsoever, even if it takes a decade doing so. I will fight my cancer battles if I have to just for this particular product. Just look at the length of this e-mail, am I, or am I not excited? Course I am, but I will be patient. I love the slick machine, I wouldnt wan't Aerosoft to realease a disapointing add-on, I have high expectations from aerosoft and I look forward to it.

For the Huey development team:

Almost forgot, working wipers too. Sliding from top center to the sides and back up, Three steed modes, slow, medium and fast. Glowing dials and red cockpit night lighting. Sorry cant help myself.

Great helicopter, great project great team. Cheers all. :)

• Aerosoft
For the Huey development team:

Almost forgot, working wipers too. Sliding from top center to the sides and back up, Three steed modes, slow, medium and fast. Glowing dials and red cockpit night lighting. Sorry cant help myself.

Great helicopter, great project great team. Cheers all. :)

Thanks for the extensive post! I got the items moved to the list. Of course not sure if all can be done, but we will look at it for sure. Consider yourself a beta tester!