Bell 205 Huey

right NVG are night vision goggles.

expressed simplified NVG compatible means, that the lightning of the cockpit is green around 525nm wavelength, and that there are no white lightspots and so on that can disturb the goggles.

They are very sensitive on white light (and other things) and if there is only a small piece of white, it glares the pilots eyes pretty much.

I tried it, it is VERY displeasing.

-

No there will be no NVG simulation in this project, but the cockpit of this huey (Bundeswehr) has green lightning, so the FSX version has it too. Of course usable without NVG, too ;-)

Cheers Joachim

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - finally retired after a service life of 50 years! My father checked out in the "A" model at Ft. Campbell in 1962 and went on to be one of the best known pilots of the Bell UH1, including being a certified instructor for all models in the U.S. Army.

For all you old timers out there, he even got to fly Gypsie Rose Lee around when she was entertaining the troops!

http://www.military.com/news/article/army-news/guard-retires-uh1-huey-after-50-years.html

October 12, 2009

Army News Service|by SFC Jon Soucy

FORT MYER, Va. - The UH-1 Iroquois helicopter was officially retired in a ceremony held here, by the Army National Guard, ending a service life of more than 50 years to the Army and close to 40 years in the Army Guard.

The helicopter, known to most simply as the Huey, was first manufactured in 1956 and fielded to the Army by 1959. Its distinctive nickname came from the pronunciation of its first Army designation of HU-1- for helicopter, utility - and later models featured the word Huey emblazoned on the pilot's foot pedals.

More than 15,000 of the aircraft were produced with about half that number having been flown during the Vietnam conflict.

Because of that, for many, the conflict and the aircraft will forever be linked. "The UH-1, more than any other helicopter or any item of equipment, became the symbol of Vietnam," said Maj. Gen. Raymond Carpenter, the acting director of the Army National Guard.

It was in Vietnam where the aircraft earned the reputation for being rugged, durable, versatile and able to fly even after receiving damage from tremendous enemy fire.

And just as the Jeep became the Soldiers' best friend in World War II, for many aviators and crews there will always be something special about the Huey.

"I can also attest to you that it was not just a machine, it became part of us," said Brig. Gen. Alberto Jimenez, the assistant adjutant general for the Maryland Army National Guard and the Army Guard's senior aviator. "It was our lives. It was our friend. It was the aircraft that took us in and out of Vietnam, and it was also the aircraft that saved many countless lives as we rushed the wounded and the sick out of the battlefield."

The Army Guard first began receiving the aircraft in the early 1970s and at one time the number of UH-1s in the ARNG hovered around 1,500.

"Those were the modern aircraft that replaced the CH-37 (Mojave) and the UH-34 (Choctaw)," said Jimenez.

The Huey was replaced by the UH-60 Black Hawk beginning in the late 1970s.

Though lacking the lift capabilities and speed of the Black Hawk, as well as the advanced electronic cockpit, many aviators were steadfast in their devotion to the Huey.

"The old adage of the UH-1 pilots was that when the last UH-60 (Black Hawk) was flown to the bone yard, the crew would fly back in a UH-1," Carpenter said. "It may still happen, but not likely."

There is a bright spot with the retirement of the Huey from the Guard. "The good news in all of this, in terms of modernizing our Army, is the incredible accomplishments we've made in fielding new aircraft and equipment," Carpenter said. "We have more modern aircraft in our formations in the Army National Guard now than we ever have in our history."

For all the technological advancements the Black Hawk offers, it does not have the distinctive, low-pitched whoop, whoop, whoop that the Huey's rotor blades made.

"The whoop, whoop of the (aircraft) will remain in our hearts," Jimenez said.

And that's not all.

"For us, (flying) it was just nothing but a piece of cake," Jimenez said. "(It was) an awesome machine that would just allow us to do anything we wanted to do, without killing us. It was a very forgiving aircraft and most importantly reliable and trusted. Thank you for a job well done."

Here is the first FULLY animated rotorhead I know of, ever seen in FSX.

That means, that not only collective pitch is animated, no the blades do real cyclic movements! It is all mixed together and really difficult. Of course you can hardly see it in the pictures, but you can be sure, that it looks nice :-)

post-5802-125718269753_thumb.jpg

post-5802-125718271148_thumb.jpg

Thank you :-), here is a short video of the rotorhead animation.

Really short, only to make appetite ;-)

Of course there are missing some parts, and don't look at the strange colored things :D

Huey rotorhead.wmv

Wow - really cool Joachim! That was indeed an "appetizer" - of course we are hungry for more!

Thats an addon I am really waiting for, since I had the chance to fly in the UH1D several times while I was serving in the german army.

I just wonder will Aerosoft also provide a mission pack for the Huey?

Where will you set the realism bar for the flight dynamics? On a scale from 0 to 10, where 3 would be the standard Bell, 5 the nemeth EC135, 7 the Hovercontrol Bell 412 tand 9 the dodosim Bell?

Will the systems be accurately simulated or do we have to expect the usability of an Alphasim Blackhawk, where you can only use the radio panel and a couple of lighting switches?

OK first I would set the flightdynamics of the standard bell and Nemteths 135 onto one level. IMO The EC135 isn't better. Sorry...

And then, the bar should be much lower...

FSX isn't able to handle realistic shoppers.

It is the same like with the glider. FSX can't do it, and you must learn it to do so.

BUT. A chopper is a MUCH more complex system than a glider. And even this took over 2 years of developement.

I don't think, we will reach THAT level of realism here. It is much more a visual project, though we try to get it as real as it is possible in our timeframe.

System accuracy? Hmm... What else would you include beside a radio and the lights? There is not much more.

Ok, fuel systems, engine simulation (one real big problem), wipers, lights, VOR, ASI, VSI... these are standard things but no special systems. What do you want us to include?

Any suggestions?

Bests Joachim

Oh no, thats actually just what i meant. Of course, theres no FMC in a Huey, but the engine start up sequence, fuel and hydraulics systems, pitot heaters etc, very basic stuff, those should be realistically built in. Which isnt the case in the Alphasim Black Hawk for example, so I'm just asking because it doesn't seem natural to every developer to programme those things.

I guess you're probably right about the flight dynamics of the standard bell and nemeths choppers indeed^^ But clearly the dodosim Bell is quite close the real thing, as I know two rl PPL-H owners who confirmed that. So the dodosim level of realism is defenitly a level of realism that is possible to achieve, the only question there is of course, and as you stated yourself, the amount of energy and time invested in the development. So that's why I ask you, I don't know how you've planned your project, what do you want or try to design, what's your timeframe? Will it allow you to approach the dodosim's realism? Or maybe only the Hovercontrol 412?

For me, personally, the Hovercontrol realism is the minimum requirement to enjoy and therefore buy a helicopter (never going to make the same mistake again and get some pice of you know what that's as bad as the above mentioned UH60...).

What you see here is what we call "rotorflex"

The rotorblades are skinned mesh and animated with a bonesystem that flexes them like in real life.

Rotor off: blades down (upper picture)

Rotor high RPM: blades straight (middle picture)

Rotor high RPM and high pitch: Blades up (lower picture)

Of course you can see the rotordisc moving on cyclic controls also.

Even bending depending on g-force will be implemented.

post-5802-125806138163_thumb.jpg

Best regards Joachim

A small video at the end of the week

note the smooth transition between the graphical stages of the rotor without loading any additional texture. All completely smooth. You can still see all movements of the blades ih high rpm state. It makes a really nice effect when the sun lights one of the blades :-)

Incredible, how many animations are in this simple rotor.

We have:

1st: the control rods cyclic

2nd: the control rod pitch (wich controlls a bushing on the rotorshaft and mixes the cyclic controls with the collective

3rd: this bushing (with mixerarms)

4th: the swashplate fix base

5th: the swashplates rotating ring wich gives the cyclic controls to the mixer

6th: the two large controlrods wich go to the mixer in the stabilizer bar. (mixed cyclic and collective controls already depending on position of the rotor)

7th: the rotor RPM (with this, the position of the rotor)

8th; the control rods to the blade connectiors wich are mounted on the central rotorhead.

9th: the central rotorhead wich is able to tilt too. (depending on rotor position)

10th: The flexing blades for slow (witch all bending involved weight of the blades lift and so on)

11th: the fexing blades for fast (witch all bending involved weight of the blades lift and so on)

12th: several visibility tags for several stages of the rotor.

Sounds quiet easy, doesn't it?

of course the spool up will be slower ;-) This is only for showing

takeoff2.wmv

Best regards, Joachim

A small video at the end of the week

note the smooth transition between the graphical stages of the rotor without loading any additional texture. All completely smooth. You can still see all movements of the blades ih high rpm state. It makes a really nice effect when the sun lights one of the blades :-)

of course the spool up will be slower ;-) This is only for showing

takeoff2.wmv

Best regards, Joachim

LOL, I know this is of course only a preview video but it is still funny to see it take off without a tail rotor or pilot in either seat!

Well done so far Joachim. I think this will end up being a HUGELY successful product for Aerosoft as this helo has such a long service history, is used worldwide (both military and civilian) and has so many applications.

Nice project, but I am still amazed that their has never, ever, in the history of FS, been a payware version of the mighty CH47. Some developer team somewhere will switch on one day and produce one i'm sure.